$20.00
$30.00
$5.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » ACT (Canberra)

Subject: GLOG - 22 October 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gungahlin Library Open Games (GLOG) is on this coming Saturday 22 October.

What: to play board/tile/card/dice games
Where: Gungahlin Library, corner of Hibberson St and Gozzard St.
Time: 10:15 am to 5:30ish pm
Room: Conference Room 1

This is a free event, just come along with a smile, and any of your favourite board games.

Game of the month is:

Fantahzee

Play this games for a chance to win a TGC gift voucher.

I will check what order releases from Essen will be available for play from our local sponsors.

The booking is for Conference room #1. This room is located on the lower level left side downstairs of the main library entry. There is no restriction of food on the venue, but I encourage everyone to keep the venue tidy and be careful while playing other people’s games. Also, consider order food/drinks from the coffee shop inside the Library.

Please make sure to pack the games you play to the same condition you found them. Any games left at the end of the day will be handed to the 'Lost and Found' desk of the Library, so if you doing exchanges, make sure your trade party attend the event.

As always, a quick reminder that young players need to be under parental supervision at all times.

Cheers!
cool

GLOG upcoming dates in 2016 are:

9 January 2016
13 February 2016
12 March 2016
9 April 2016
14 May 2016
11 June 2016
9 July 2016
13 August 2016
10 September 2016
22 October 2016 (This month GLOG is on the 4th Saturday)
12 November 2016 CANCELLED
10 December 2016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard :
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:

Wait, what ... surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, apologies for that. I will clarify this situation later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the bilge rat wrote:
Amiguero wrote:

Wait, what ... surprise

That was my reaction, then I remembered about LFG Canberra. But I thought they were going to have it on the 3rd or 4th weekend in November.

But after checking their Facebook page, it is scheduled for the 11-13th November.

Personally, I'm more than a bit peeved about this, considering that this has been billed as an event for Canberra, but they were quick to reassure people that it wouldn't be on as the same time as PAX, which I couldn't give a rats if it was. But then they schedule it on a weekend when we have a games gathering here in Canberra, which ends up cancelling it.

Not happy, Jan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard :
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
... then I remembered about LFG Canberra.

they schedule it on a weekend when we have a games gathering here in Canberra, which ends up cancelling it.

Not happy, Jan!

Just looking for facts here.

By what mechanism did a well run, well attended, and much loved community event (GLOG) get cancelled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be right to attend this month.

Very interested to learn why the November meeting has been cancelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure a session could be set up, either on the normal weekend or an alternative one for those not attending LFG and more casual attendees?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew .
msg tools
mbmb
Rene, I am happy to host November GLOG if it is a simple matter of clashing with another event in Woden. I think GLOG will still attract enough to justify. All we need is the room booking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Andrew, very happy to help out running GLOG in November - though I will be a little late (getting there around 10.30 or so) due to Little Fish cricket.

I concur that GLOG is popular (and different) enough to warrant running even if this LFG event is on in Woden.

Rene, to make sure we can get the booking can you please, as a matter of some priority, advise the reasons informing your decision to cancel the November GLOG ?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rene may be a bit delayed getting in touch - he's in Essen, the lucky dog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guy's,

Rene's out of town. In fact he's at a small get together regarding games of some sort.
I think it called 'ASS-EN(D)' or something like that.

So not sure when he'll be back, I expect later next week.
But it's good that you've put your hands up.

Might be good if someone were to inquire at the Library, what dates are available in NOV so we can move GLOG to another date.
Though I suspect Rene has already done this and hasn't received an answer as yet.(this is me speculating)

I leave it in your capable hands. (Andrew/Murray)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
{pauses eating}

All,

Apologies for my previous comment, as I posted in haste before Rene had a chance to explain the cancellation, when it may have nothing to do with LFG Canberra, but it may be due to the library cancelling it for some reason.

Like you all I await Rene's reply.

{goes back to eating humble pie}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, just to make sure that we still have access to the room (which is really all we need) I have put a call into Libraries ACT. Their booking person will get back to me tomorrow and let me know how we are placed in that regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just spoke to the guy who does event booking for Libraries ACT and he advised that the room has not been cancelled.

So, as far as they're concerned the room is still reserved for GLOG and it can go ahead without any dramas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
I just spoke to the guy who does event booking for Libraries ACT and he advised that the room has not been cancelled.

So, as far as they're concerned the room is still reserved for GLOG and it can go ahead without any dramas.

Maybe, Rene's got the AGM of the Monster Truck Appreciation Society planned for that date and venue instead and didn't get around to changing the names over. I'd probably just wait to see what the promised clarification is. Everything else seems to be speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solomon M. Green
Australia
Armadale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PAX Aus 2016
Just to hijack a Canberra thread which is actually read,

Any of you coming down to PAX Aus 2016 (Nov 4-6) in Melbourne.

Looking to mule a couple of games from Rene if he's back in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess Drake
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moose_Head wrote:
Just to hijack a Canberra thread which is actually read,

Looking to mule a couple of games from Rene if he's back in time.

Yep I'll be at PAX. I'm an Enforcer too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lawrence
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moose_Head wrote:

Yeah, first PAX. Managed to coax 3 others into attending too. Should be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to be back before Jess goes to Pax. I get in touch with you Jess once I get back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solomon M. Green
Australia
Armadale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:
I plan to be back before Jess goes to Pax. I get in touch with you Jess once I get back.
Sounds good. Strangely enough, I will be found lurking in TableTop most of the time footloose and fancy free this year playing, dare I say it, games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Ward
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
The Monarch
mbmbmbmbmb
You lucky PAX people. I've got to go overseas on the 4th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, I'm out for this one (sick). May you all have a glorious day gaming your little hearts out.

If anyone has anything for me, could you please leave with Rene or Paul Bradley(Batcut).

To all enjoy, I shall be there in spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that, Kon.

Get well soon, mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Another great GLOG finish and lots of games hit the table. I was not feeling 100% and have to leave early. I need to apologise for the rant early on. I know there are a lot of people who could run events such as GLOG way better than me, but after being the solo organiser of this event since 2011, the last thing I need is someone to tell me how to do things.

Quote:
By what mechanism did a well run, well attended, and much loved community event (GLOG) get cancelled?

You forgot to mention that this well run, well attended, community event has been ran by one individual since its beginning. However from time to time, life get in the way and I cannot run event alone. Every time I asked for support, the response from this community has not been as supportive as I could have anticipated. The fact is that only Andrew S has pulled up his to help.

Quote:
Not happy, Jan!

Sorry Paul, as mentioned before, if my intention was to make everyone happy I would have stop this long time ago.

I am happy to see new events that support the board game hobby here in ACT, therefore I decided to support LFG Australia in their endeavours. They decided to run the event on the same weekend as the GLOG, and they have been sponsors of the event for a few years now under the Toy and Games expo providing game copies so we can play them at the GLOG.

I consider checking alternative dates for November GLOG, however given the lack of community support experienced, I just give up on the idea. I know people like the GLOG because it is a free event. Reality is that there is a cost to run the GLOG, it may not be monetary, but stuff needs to happen to make it work. The easy bit is to sit down and start playing.

I must say this is the first time a lot of people jumped and start fixing the cancellation. I wish I've seen this the first time I was unable to run an event.

Unfortunately, November GLOG is cancelled. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Next GLOG is on 10 December 16.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your reasons are fair enough and we all really appreciate the effort you go to. The fact that folks are so upset at the prospect of having a GLOG cancelled is a testament to what you've built.

Just for the future, I'd say there's enough regulars that if you put out the call a bit ahead of time, we can, between all of us tag in for you. Especially when there's a major amount of lead time. Same goes if you just need a month off. Since I've been attending, someone has usually been available to step up and fill in.

This event you've built is fantastic, and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we're all happy to pitch in time and effort to share the load if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.