Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI is having another mini sale, and figured I'd pass it along. Like most of their smaller sales, there are very few board games, but one or more might be of interest to you.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2663

List of Board Games

Citadels Card Game ($13.99)
Dudab ($1.99)
Empires: Age of Discovery ($64.99+Free Shipping)
Jamaica Board Game ($34.99)
Oath of the Brotherhood ($12.99)
Ships ($14.00)

Happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a stupid good price for Ships. I paid full price for it and I think it's worth it. For $14.99, it's a no-brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
That's a stupid good price for Ships. I paid full price for it and I think it's worth it. For $14.99, it's a no-brainer.
Meh. Even at that price I won't bother. There's already a copy in my group and honestly, it struck me as not that great of a game. Obviously I'm not alone in that opinion or these wouldn't be selling for peanuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Good price on Empires: Age of Discovery. You can pick up most of the kickstarter stuff in the geek store on clearance too. It will be cheaper than the kickstarter was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
DailyRich wrote:
Meh. Even at that price I won't bother. There's already a copy in my group and honestly, it struck me as not that great of a game. Obviously I'm not alone in that opinion or these wouldn't be selling for peanuts.

It's still a good price and worth trying. Don't like it don't buy it. I got one and will gift it if it's not for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Empires come with the metal coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T 7

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mb
Was hoping Archipelago would be on sale for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Too bad Amerigo wasn't in stock or it may have gotten a nice discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Gervais
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The components list says the coins are plastic.

yatescory wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love trying to figure out the reasons behind the inclusions in CSI sales. It's like a game in and of itself.

I'm still trying to figure out Dudab and the Pokemon cards. I'm guessing all the TMNT Heroclix because of the Italian/American influences in TMNT (their pizza obsession, that they're named after famous Italians, etc)?

Some really good prices in there though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CITTTTTTTTAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSS!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Kruse
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
I bought this from CSI a few months ago and the coins are NOT metal. Great game regardless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:

they're releasing a new version I believe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Johnson
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abonosky wrote:
SlikkRikk wrote:

Do you know if it will be any different from the current version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ERJohnson07 wrote:
abonosky wrote:
SlikkRikk wrote:

Do you know if it will be any different from the current version?

here: New version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:

No. But the plastic ones look good. Probably we all have quite a few metal coins from other games by now. If not, that sale price that brings the game down to the price point it should be sold at, makes it easier to buy the coins if you really want them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skifreak737 wrote:
yatescory wrote:

No. But the plastic ones look good. Probably we all have quite a few metal coins from other games by now. If not, that sale price that brings the game down to the price point it should be sold at, makes it easier to buy the coins if you really want them.

Also, coins can be purchased directly through EGG's website, in case you didn't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it from them a couple of months ago at this price, and it did not come with any extras - just the six basic nationalities and plastic coins. Still, I'm so relieved to have not paid full price, even with all the (mostly unnecessary) additions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I also think that Ships is very meh. Not worth my shelf space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sallen
United States
Boone
Iowa
flag msg tools
The Long View
badge
The Good, The Board, and the Ugly
mbmbmbmbmb
After one play of Empires, I was shocked at little I enjoyed it for how much the BGG community and prominent reviewers fawn over it. It must not have aged well, I didn't have fond nostalgic memories to cloud my judgment. Glad I unloaded it before it dipped this low and I lost half of the $130 it cost me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
josefsallen wrote:
After one play of Empires, I was shocked at little I enjoyed it for how much the BGG community and prominent reviewers fawn over it. It must not have aged well, I didn't have fond nostalgic memories to cloud my judgment. Glad I unloaded it before it dipped this low and I lost half of the $130 it cost me.

As someone who only recently played the game (twice this year), I also can say that I didn't have fond nostalgic memories clouding my judgment. However, my experience is quite the opposite. I love it, and am glad I was able to pick up the Kickstarter version of the new edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
esquire468 wrote:
josefsallen wrote:

As someone who only recently played the game (twice this year), I also can say that I didn't have fond nostalgic memories clouding my judgment. However, my experience is quite the opposite. I love it, and am glad I was able to pick up the Kickstarter version of the new edition.

Can you elaborate? Why did you love it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
DailyRich wrote:

Actually, it's a good game. It just has limited availability and got overshadowed by flashier games. That's why it's not selling as well. Anyone interested should check out Rahdo's Run Through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sallen
United States
Boone
Iowa
flag msg tools
The Long View
badge
The Good, The Board, and the Ugly
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that my comment was just as unsupported as the comment you were reacting to. I suppose I could keep it as simple as "it's price is this low for a reason". Naw. Here's a little elaboration.

What I disliked about it was:

1. Play time was much longer than the depth allowed. If it was an hour, I'd be fine, but our game ran nearly 3 hours, which is pretty close to the estimated time.

2. The Discovery phase was one of the main sources of randomness at the start of the game, and I found it was one of the main contributors to lightening the weight of the game by being essentially a random "auction" in which you don't know how much you need to "explore" the territory. Since you lose the entire party no matter how many were actually needed, this frequently results in frustrating losses. If there was a way to scout without wasting an action with your amassed group, I wouldn't be so adverse to the system. As it stands it just feels dated.

3. Once the Discovery phase was over, the area control part of the game encouraged turtling with your units for the most points. I was not engaged during this part of the game whatsoever.

4. Buildings were unbalanced, and some of them were dreadfully designed. One specifically came up towards the end of the game, and its function was, after final scoring the player in first loses X points. This was the worst but many of them had a fairly similar spirit.

On a positive note, I enjoyed the workers with unique capabilities. It was a neat mechanism but not enough to save the game. This mechanism was adopted by a few later games I really did love: Three Kingdoms Redux and Trickerion: Legends of Illusion

nexbot wrote:
esquire468 wrote:
josefsallen wrote:

Can you elaborate? Why did you love it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.