Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain McAllister
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Lothian
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Anyone know if this game will be supported by organized play and what that might look like?

Iain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be awesome.

Not sure, did FFG did OP for LotR LCG? I cant remeber seeing something in germany.

BR Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect it will be very similar to LotR. Essentially they put out game night kits for players to come to the game store and run through a special scenario. If you attend, you get whatever promo card is in the kit, but there is no "winner".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So new scenarios? Something like side missions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do have some LotR tournaments here in Italy. 2 teams of 2 players each, both teams tackle the same scenario on a timed run. The scenario is just an official scenario from one of the expansions, selected by the tournament organizer. Teams take turns playing their own scenario, the first team that completes the scenario wins. You have a timer so you can't spend 45 minutes thinking about 1 card, but mostly it looks like you will win by completing the scenario in fewer turns than the other team.
I hope they do something like this for Arkham too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Curse of the Rougarou scenario they are running at Arkham Nights is exactly the kind of OP I think we should expect. LOTR has Fellowship Events (at Gen Con usually and participating stores) that have a promo scenario that get's played during the event (and is later made available via print on demand for purchase) and then they give out usually an alt art card or some sort of promo token set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
The Curse of the Rougarou scenario they are running at Arkham Nights is exactly the kind of OP I think we should expect. LOTR has Fellowship Events (at Gen Con usually and participating stores) that have a promo scenario that get's played during the event (and is later made available via print on demand for purchase) and then they give out usually an alt art card or some sort of promo token set.

Yeah exactly, I'm expecting the first 'Fellowship Event' equivalent for Arhkam to be announced fairly soon after release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain McAllister
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Lothian
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I've had a tweet back from FFGOP saying their will be organized play but it will be different to their other LCGs. I would expect similar support to LOTR but who knows.

Competitve wise I would love to see something like the Pandemic tournament I saw at expo. Several tables of players all responding to the same deck so it's how well you handle the crisis that matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adventurous Moose

LOUISVILLE
KY - Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
ihmcallister wrote:
I've had a tweet back from FFGOP saying their will be organized play but it will be different to their other LCGs. I would expect similar support to LOTR but who knows.

Competitve wise I would love to see something like the Pandemic tournament I saw at expo. Several tables of players all responding to the same deck so it's how well you handle the crisis that matters.

I feel like something like that would actually work well for stand alone new releases where I don't feel like it would for LotR. This game feels more tactics to LotR's strategy. In LotR the 'perfect' deck one game could get utterly destroyed in the next, so going in not knowing the encounter deck would be just a random toss up as to who would win. In this game I feel as though it is designed to be more about what you do in game rather than out of game, so I feel a tournament environment could exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you set up each table with the same stacked deck, you've got differences in the token drawn. Plus more importantly, how do you measure winning? That's the big problem with LotR too. FFG tried to come up with a scoring formula but everyone ignored it because it was pretty bad. I don't think it's really feasible to have a good formula that is fair to all deck types. Some decks are designed to win faster, some slow-but-sure. Some characters are made to burn themselves to win (like Agnes taking horror to kill things) so measuring how much health/horror isn't a good metric either.

Ultimately the only thing you CAN measure is whether you won or lost, and that's not sufficient to form a rigorous competitive event when you have no guarantee how many people will win/lose or even if ANYONE will win/lose a scenario.

About the best you could probably offer is give a participation prize and then have secondary prizes for those who beat the scenario or accomplished some sort of well defined side-goal along the way. Nobody really "wins", nor are you compared against others, you're just getting sort of a general Pass/Fail grade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.