Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love a good mystery so any boaard game geared toward solving a mystery? Perhaps coop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, you play as the Baker Street Irregulars, helping Sherlock to solve a crime.

It's a text-based game, so you decide on a location you want to go to (the crime scene, the dead guy's house, his work, etc.) and turn to the relevant entry in the case-book. There you receive new information. You follow as many leads as you want, until you feel you have all the information to solve the crime. Then you turn to the questions at the end of the case-book, which will often be who was the criminal, why did he do it and some other details about the crime.

I play it with my boyfriend, but you can play it with as many people as you like (not too many, I suggest). We think it's great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu Muñoz
Spain
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
You look for Incómodos Invitados. It is a Spanish Game and it is very good. You look it, it is based in Cluedo, but it is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely Mysterium, amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm also a huge Detective/Crime/Mystery fan and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective definitely scratches that detective itch very well. But it really is a very text heavy and think-y game. You can play it co-op or competitively with others or just all by yourself. Once you've solved a case it's like re-reading a mystery novel tho, you already know the answer. Luckily the game includes a couple of cases which provide hours of detective fun.

Mysterium didn't really do it for me tho, I really loved the concept but it fell a bit flat when playing, being the ghost is amusing the first time around but somewhat unsatisfying after that. At least that's how I felt. The art on the cards is super gorgeous tho.

I really like the Mystery Rummy series as filler games, so far I've only played Jack the Ripper and the Poe one - Jack is better suited for 2-3 players but Poe is nice when you have 4 players and play as two teams. I really need to get my hands on the other ones. They are like basic Rummy with a few extra rules and a crime theme tagged on. It's not highly atmospheric or anything, but good fun. Not much of a detective-y feel there tho.

I've yet to play Roar! Catch the Monster which is kinda like Scotland Yard just with smartphone app integration - you have to guess where the monster player is hiding based on the sounds you hear while the monster moves around the city (noise from a building site or children's laughter when passing a playground, stuff like that). Theme-wise it's geared more toward children I guess, but the gameplay sounds fun. Really need to give my copy a play soon. I'm not too fond of 1 player vs the other games tho, otherwise I'd have given that Whitechapel game or Mr. Jack a go as well.

And then there's the soon to be released Arkham Horror Card Game, which sounds like a neat mystery co-op card game. I'm definitely excited to try that out - might be your cup of tea too if you don't mind the supernatural Cthulhu theme. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witness

You'll need exactly 4 to play. It's not exactly a co-op but it's a different take on deduction games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Malone
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like Mysterium, but you need the right group of people. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is amazing. You need to be in the right frame of mind to play it though. No distractions and in the mood for a good read. Great game for couples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleuth and Black Vienna for brain burny deduction goodness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
In Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, you play as the Baker Street Irregulars, helping Sherlock to solve a crime.

It's a text-based game, so you decide on a location you want to go to (the crime scene, the dead guy's house, his work, etc.) and turn to the relevant entry in the case-book. There you receive new information. You follow as many leads as you want, until you feel you have all the information to solve the crime. Then you turn to the questions at the end of the case-book, which will often be who was the criminal, why did he do it and some other details about the crime.

I play it with my boyfriend, but you can play it with as many people as you like (not too many, I suggest). We think it's great fun!

There is also the recently kickstarted and released Mythos Tales, which is essentially more of the same, but with a Lovecraftian theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very tangential suggestion but I'll write it anyway, in case theme is more important than mechanics:
Letters from Whitechapel.

Not a mystery but it fits the same Victorian detective setting and time period as Sherlock Holmes. 1 player vs 1-4 others working together to find the bad guy doing bad deeds in East London.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula is also something you might want to take a look at. It's not a true coop game, it's a 1 vs All game in which one player plays Dracula, moving hidden through Europe while the other players try to hunt him down. Or the the other way around devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.