Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Dudgeon
United Kingdom
Stewarton, Scotland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I see it, the war profiteering event card is useless in the solitaire game, as it is only the player who holds paper currency and only a madman would reduce his own score. Have I missed something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Just seems they are only useful for their Monoplane/Triplane toggling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dudgeon
United Kingdom
Stewarton, Scotland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brent. A bit of a shame as the designers have thought of rules for most of the event cards in the solitaire version. I wonder if deducting 1 point from the final scores of your opponents would be a house rule which would work,as it would be good to keep the choice between using the two parts of each card, and this might roughly equate to the effect of a 25% inflation hit. The player takes the hit too if they play it whilst they have paper cash in play. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davros Dalek
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I've seen War Profiteering played mostly at opportunity to ding opponents having more paper Marks than the player playing the event. Your house rule is reasonable compensation for loss of this possible play in the solitaire variant.

However, the best utility of the event is pushing the game closer to economic collapse, and a hopefully sooner end, if you are ahead. This still has utility in the solitaire game. A design heuristic I used for the solitaire variant was to devise alternate effects for events with little or no utility in solitaire play. If they had utility, I left them alone. I wanted to deviate from the Advanced Game as little as possible.

Ken Keller

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dudgeon
United Kingdom
Stewarton, Scotland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ken. I can see its use now. Up until now, I didn't actually advance the track when I played this card, but just applied a 25% loss to paper marks. On hindsight it is obvious I should have advanced the marker.

Congratulations on producing a really challenging solitaire experience. Haven't got near a victory yet, though enjoying the experience enormously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.