Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nicolas trelohan
France
Orvault
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey everyone

I don't think i'm doing anything wrong while playing, but i find solo conquest really hard, managing to conquer one city in the game is already not easy in itself for me.

I try to gain levels and recrut what i can, not sure what i'm doing wrong strategy wise.

Any tips ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mb
my go to tip is don't be afraid of wounds & just plain play the game to get better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Could you describe your typical game? Some common choices you make?

Avoiding wounds is a big mistake. Think of them as a resource. You take 1-2 wounds and in return get a level and some awesome cards or other rewards. Don't forget that your deck has a healing card, villages/monasteries sell healing and you can just end your turn (circumstances allowing) at a site that heals you. If you have a low lvl unit you can just wound them instead and heal them when you feel like it, or just recruit something over them later.

How do you prioritise targets? Rampaging enemies give you reputation but tend to give less immediate rewards than other sites. Likewise, while I won't always burn down monasteries I think it would be a colossal mistake to skip keeps/mage towers just because they drop your reputation.

Do you plan out efficient movement? Spending points to move somewhere and then spending even more points to move the same way back a few tiles gets really costly fast.

Finally, don't worry. It takes some games to get where you consistently beat two cities within the time limit. Enjoy the ride there.

Finally, know your deck. It's small and you add cards there slowly, so after some games you should have a decent idea of what's left. This can help you plan out future turns with some accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicolas trelohan
France
Orvault
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah i'm getting a few wounds.

I don't really know about targets priority, really depends on what tile i draw when exploring, usually get a keep and a mage tower, plus a few rampaging enemies / den etc.

i try to never go back on my step if possible, one thing i forgot to mention, is that i play with all the added monsters / tiles / cards from lost legions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luminou44 wrote:
Hey everyone

I don't think i'm doing anything wrong while playing, but i find solo conquest really hard, managing to conquer one city in the game is already not easy in itself for me.

I try to gain levels and recrut what i can, not sure what i'm doing wrong strategy wise.

Any tips ?

Yep. Read these two articles. They helped me immensely.

Going from beginner to competent

Going from competent to expert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
mbmbmb
luminou44 wrote:
Hey everyone

Any tips ?

I have exactly the same problem. I can take over one city, but not both. I have tried seven times. However, it is incredibly funny every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had the same experience once I started with MK, yesterday I finished Solo conquest by conquering both cities (Lvl 5/8) with a full round left.

I find a couple of things important (also mentioned in links above):

1. Take wounds. Seriously, don't be afraid to take a hits. Goal is to level as quickly as possible, especially in the beginning, often no matter the cost. Plenty of places and skills to get rid of them.

2. Move your ass. NEVER backtrack, and explore as fast as you can to get the core tiles out, this will allow you to recruit elite units which are essential to your city assault. Also "play" the placement of coretiles, make sure cities are close to each other.

3. Get ready for your big fight by stocking up on crystals and if possible save skills or cards which allow you to draw a higher hand limit. Once you assault a city and have around 8 cards + units and some crystals at your disposal, you are unstoppable.

4. Only play cards sideways as a last resort.

5. Probably the best advice I ever read on MK: "play the hand that's dealt to you vs. what you want to do"

luminou44 wrote:
one thing i forgot to mention, is that i play with all the added monsters / tiles / cards from lost legions.

Get rid of the Lost Legion monster token and map tiles, save the rest, I play without them as well as I actually find them annoying. It makes the game less predictable and ramps up the difficulty quite a bit. Seasoned players would probably welcome this change of pace, but to me it takes away some of the forward thinking and strategic value of the game (for now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.