Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mint Tin Curling
by Guy T. Schafer

Overview
Curling in your pocket.
Uses small beads as stones; the tin is the sheet.

# of Players
Blitz play: 2 players.
Quick play: 2 players.
Tournament play: 2-16 players in 2 teams.

Play Time
Blitz play takes less than 3 minutes for all 10 ends.
Quick play takes 5-10 minutes.
Tournament play takes 10-30 minutes.

Components
Mint Tin
1 red toothpick, 1 yellow toothpick (not required for Blitz play)
8 small red beads, 8 small yellow beads
Lid graphic, sheet graphic, score card & scoring plaques
Rule sheet

Print & Play File
http://professorguy.com/gallery/games/mintcurling.pdf

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated to show maximum players. Although a traditional curling team has 4 people, teams can be as many as 8 people.

Play with 8 people for a realistic Mint Tin Bonspiel, but this game, like real curling, can accommodate up to 16 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craziest Mint Tin Instruction Ever?
I originally intended to include in the instructions that you'd add a few teaspoons of water and put the tin into the freezer until frozen. Then you'd play on the ice!

Is there a catagory for crazy setups?

In practice, there were 2 problems with using ice:

1) If the room you play in is above freezing, the sheet surface becomes unusably wet very quickly. You must play outside in the winter.

2) Printing with an ink jet means water destroys the sheet graphic. I thought about various ways to laminate the card, but that didn't seem elegant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun game !

"As in normal curling" should be explained. I'm not sure players want to search for curling rules to be able to play a boardgame whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice twist of a dexterity game!

courtjus wrote:
Fun game !

"As in normal curling" should be explained. I'm not sure players want to search for curling rules to be able to play a boardgame whistle

I agree - I don't know the rules for curling all that well. It is best to spell out all rules necessary for a game, even if you think they are self-explanatory. Best to assume the players know nothing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will update the rules to include enough curling rules to play without reference to external documentation. Thank you.

For those that are curious:

Score as follows: Your team gets one point for every "rock" that is closer to the center of the "house" (those target rings) than the "rock" of your opponents that is closest to the center.

To record the points in each "end" (like an inning) the placard with the end number on it is placed in the yellow row if yellow has scored this end, or in the red row if red scored this end. The end-numbered placard is placed at the number corresponding to the new team score. This setup allows the totals to be read at a glance (the right-most number is at the score location--read as a bar graph) and the scoring in each individual end to be reconstructed. In ends where there is no score (all rocks out-of-bounds), the placard for that end is not used.

The last person to play has an advantage; his move cannot be countered. That advantage of playing second (and thus going last) in an end is given to the opponents of the team that has scored most recently.

More curling info:
The players/teams alternate throwing "rocks" (in this case beads) toward the "house" (the colored circle target). Each team plays 8 rocks, an "end" is complete when all 16 rocks have been thrown. A game consists of 10 ends.
Depending on the mint tin version of rules you use (Blitz, Quick, or Tournament) all, some, or none of the 16 shots in an end are skipped. There are still 10 ends in all versions of Mint Tin Curling.

Rocks that pass through the "house" or touch the sides of the "sheet" (the play area) are removed from play. This is why there are out-of-bound areas in the mint tin game.
However, in the mint tin version, unlike real curling, you are allowed to bounce the rocks off the tin's sides and have them re-enter the legal play area. In real curling, once out, rocks are not allowed to re-enter play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I can't get the toothpick part to work -- the beads have so little inertia they stop almost immediately. Except when they roll backwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i found that bobby pins work better. not a huge fan of dex games but definitely can pass some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The phrase, "score as in normal curling," doesn't tell me anything. I know nothing about curling. I shouldn't have to go to Wikipedia to understand the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.