Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Summary

Even for pretty young children, I don't think this is much of a card game.

The Deck

Each card shows two animals in one of three sizes (small, medium, and large). There are only 4 types of animals (elephants, mice, cats, and horses). Truth be told, it's a little tough to tell a small horse or elephant from a medium version of the same.

Anyway, that makes for 54 combinations, I believe. Add to that a jumbo card for each animal type (two larges of the same animal) and that's your deck of cards.

The Game

Players are dealt cards (7, I think) and one card is placed face up on the table. In turn, players look to place a card atop the one in the center of the table. The only rule here is that one of the animals on your card-to-be-played must be as big or bigger than, and the same species as, one of the two animals depicted on the center-of-the-table card.

If you can't play a card, draw one. If the drawn card can be played, put it on top of the center card. Otherwise, take it into your hand.

That's it. Play until someone is out of cards.

Special rule: if you play a "jumbo" card, you play another card immediately (I think this extra card has to have an animal of the same species on it as the jumbo card has).

The verdict

Well, our 2.5-year-old caught on fine, so it is a good game for helping to reinforce sequence of play and a rules set. I'll give it that. However, our 4-year-old was really bothered that she couldn't play a smaller version of an animal on the center card, because in the special case instance (having played a "jumbo" card), her brother had been allowed to play a smaller version of the animal on the larger. I guess special exceptions aren't good for the four-year-old (and really into process) mind.

All in all, it's decent in the same way as Candyland is decent--good for reinforcement and a building block for tougher stuff on down the line. And it is much quicker than the classic just mentioned, so that's a good thing. But even that doesn't make it any more interesting than, say, Dominoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.