• [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great!

I speak as one who likes gaming apps because they can do a lot of the game admin, but misses the tactile and social aspects of traditional board games. This system might offer the best of both worlds.

The system of course opens up possibilities for new designs. It might also be used to implement existing designs. Nick, I'm thinking of your own Catchup. I'm also thinking of Neuroshima Hex!.

The main challenge I see is cost. I note that the link takes us to a description of a particular game, Fracture, gets us (or at least me) interested in Fracture, and then tells us that the system's base set won't include enough pieces to play Fracture.

All the best,
Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Hmm...blind war game?
We're getting closer.
Cool concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Werent there lota of self playing chess sets from the 90s?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cute. I'm holding out for the e-ink displays though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
This looks great!

I speak as one who likes gaming apps because they can do a lot of the game admin, but misses the tactile and social aspects of traditional board games. This system might offer the best of both worlds.

The system of course opens up possibilities for new designs. It might also be used to implement existing designs. Nick, I'm thinking of your own Catchup. I'm also thinking of Neuroshima Hex!.

Oh my yes Neuroshima Hex. I like the game but generally only play it in app form because I find adjudicating in meatspace annoying.

Quote:
The main challenge I see is cost. I note that the link takes us to a description of a particular game, Fracture, gets us (or at least me) interested in Fracture, and then tells us that the system's base set won't include enough pieces to play Fracture.

yep, cost is the #1 issue. We think it can be reasonable but we have a lot of work to do to make sure we get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm still skeptical about the equipment (I guess I am just not in the target audience; e.g. I find Neuroshima Hex not only easy but enjoyable to resolve myself, with no need for blinking lights), so I'll just talk about the game Fracture being demoed: is it not a bit drawish? It looks like players could just defensively keep blocking opponents from winning... but I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I'm still skeptical about the equipment (I guess I am just not in the target audience; e.g. I find Neuroshima Hex not only easy but enjoyable to resolve myself, with no need for blinking lights), so I'll just talk about the game Fracture being demoed: is it not a bit drawish? It looks like players could just defensively keep blocking opponents from winning... but I don't know.

Perhaps variant pieces could be used to play a variant of Fracture: Shock-Ya! Passive play would be punished with increasingly severe electric shocks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

It's actually not drawish, so long as you play with more than 2 people. But yeah, you're not in the demo. Also, making games like Neuroshima Hex and Fracture easier than they are with cardboard is a pretty boring use of this system. There's lots of scope for inventing games that couldn't exist otherwise. That's where it'll get interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite furious googling, I can't find it, but I swear that something like this was already released. It may have been cubes instead of hexes, though. If I remember correctly, the price point was a big sticking point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
Despite furious googling, I can't find it, but I swear that something like this was already released. It may have been cubes instead of hexes, though. If I remember correctly, the price point was a big sticking point.

I've seen past projects reminiscent of this one too. A bit of searching led me to:

http://www.ozobot.com/

(which, ironically, I don't recall seeing before.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:

yep. Sifteo:

We've talked to the guys who did Sifteo, who told us why they failed. Cost was a big part of it. The devices cost a lot (they were basically smart phones without the phones), and game dev required teams of experienced (and costly) developers. The components of ours are much cheaper and I can code up a game in an hour by myself even though the programming language is completely new to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
UanarchyK wrote:

I've seen past projects reminiscent of this one too. A bit of searching led me to:

http://www.ozobot.com/

(which, ironically, I don't recall seeing before.)

There are a whole bunch of products like this now. Ozobots are among the cooler ones. Most of these are directed at kids, and ours may be too, because kids are just insanely into them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

There are a whole bunch of products like this now. Ozobots are among the cooler ones. Most of these are directed at kids, and ours may be too, because kids are just insanely into them.

You mean kids of all ages, right?

Andrew "target demographic" Watson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:

You mean kids of all ages, right?

Andrew "target demographic" Watson

I'm in the target demographic too. I quit my job to play with them, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.