Hide
10 Posts

Karmaka» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing cards on yourself rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ludovic Fontai e
msg tools
so i may of not looked properly but i cant seem to find the info.

when playing a card for its ability - if you play a card on yourself and do not affect anybody else, do you discard the card in the ruins or offer it to a rival, which rival in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
vicks369 wrote:
so i may of not looked properly but i cant seem to find the info.

when playing a card for its ability - if you play a card on yourself and do not affect anybody else, do you discard the card in the ruins or offer it to a rival, which rival in this case.

If it only affects you, you offer it to all rivals (starting with the person to your left).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule book wrote:
Karmic Cost: Playing a card for its ability comes at a price; after resolving the ability, you must offer the card to your rival. If they want it, they place the card facedown on their Future Life; if not, the card is sent faceup to the Ruins.

Note, no mention of who the ability affects. If you use a card for its ability, you must offer it to your opponent(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards played for an action that benefits the player that played it, are offered to their opponent(s) future deck, starting on the left and moving clockwise, finally ending in the Ruins if no one wants it.

Cards played directly against another player are offered to that opponent. if they don't want to add it to their future deck, the card is then placed in the Ruins without being offered to anyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
Cards played for an action that benefits the player that played it, are offered to their opponent(s) future deck, starting on the left and moving clockwise, finally ending in the Ruins if no one wants it.

Cards played directly against another player are offered to that opponent. if they don't want to add it to their future deck, the card is then placed in the Ruins without being offered to anyone else.

I came here to correct you, went to read rules to be sure, realized I've been playing wrong the whole time. I thought it went to target first, then went around to others if they didn't want it. But nope, you are right, it goes to ruins if they don't want it. Glad I read this post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
Rule book wrote:
Karmic Cost: Playing a card for its ability comes at a price; after resolving the ability, you must offer the card to your rival. If they want it, they place the card facedown on their Future Life; if not, the card is sent faceup to the Ruins.

Note, no mention of who the ability affects. If you use a card for its ability, you must offer it to your opponent(s).

Just to clarify, the above quote specifically applies to the two player game. In that case, you only have one rival so no matter how you play the card, it is offered to that rival. When you play with three or four players, then you start to offer the card differently depending on whether it had a target or not.

As a reminder, you can't play a card against the person directly across from you in a four player game, only against your neighbors.

And it can get tricky if you are playing a chain of cards. The rule of thumb is that the ultimate target of the chain is the one who gets offered the original card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be complete, the multiplayer rule:
Quote:
When playing a card for its ability in a multiplayer game (where you have more than one rival), the rival on whom the ability was played is the one who gets the card in their Future Life. For example, if you play Vengeance to ruin a rival’s Deed, that rival may take the Vengeance card into their Future if they want; otherwise, it goes to the Ruins. If you play a card that affects only you, each rival gets an opportunity to take the card, beginning with the player to your left and going around in turn order. If none of your rivals claim the card, it goes to the Ruins; you cannot take it into your Future Life.

In a 4-player game, players may not play cards on the player sitting across from them – only on their neighbours.

So, the target always gets first dibs. Otherwise, the player to you left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
To be complete, the multiplayer rule:
Quote:
When playing a card for its ability in a multiplayer game (where you have more than one rival), the rival on whom the ability was played is the one who gets the card in their Future Life. For example, if you play Vengeance to ruin a rival’s Deed, that rival may take the Vengeance card into their Future if they want; otherwise, it goes to the Ruins. If you play a card that affects only you, each rival gets an opportunity to take the card, beginning with the player to your left and going around in turn order. If none of your rivals claim the card, it goes to the Ruins; you cannot take it into your Future Life.

In a 4-player game, players may not play cards on the player sitting across from them – only on their neighbours.

So, the target always gets first dibs. Otherwise, the player to you left.

Not at all. Read what you quoted and refer to my summation above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how we are differing.

"the rival on whom the ability was played is the one who gets the card in their Future Life" which is effectively the same as "target gets first dibs."

"If you play a card that affects only you, each rival gets an opportunity to take the card, beginning with the player to your left and going around in turn order" which is effectively "otherwise the player to your left."

...well I guess I inferred that the first case the card gets offered around, which would be incorrect.

I think we are trying to get to the same explanation, and are now muddying things more. I'll just shut up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:

...well I guess I inferred that the first case the card gets offered around, which would be incorrect.

Yeah, that seems to be what he was getting it. Not sure why he couldn't just say that. shake

I'd avoid "first dibs" since it definitely implies passing the card around. It's either "target gets it or nobody does" or "every player clockwise gets a chance at it". When I played at PAX South, that was the only rule that really confused people from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.