BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #575 - Phoebe Wild (MissJekyll) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephanie Straw
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a surprise and an honor to be nominated as Geek of the Week, and I would like to thank everyone for the thumbs, support, and questions.

I feel like everyone is deserving of a week to call their own here, so it was very difficult for me to nominate just one person. The criteria were that I should pick someone I do not personally know well from a country other than my own.

I immediately thought of someone I'd had the pleasure of meeting and working with at Gen Con this past year. She is bright, enthusiastic, helpful, and passionate about games. I'll let her introduce herself.

Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb

Quote:
I’m Phoebe, and I’m an Aussie gameaholic. Much like Stephanie I grew up playing classic games with my parents until one fateful birthday around 2002 they bought me Settlers of Catan. I loved it instantly, so we went back to the only game store in the country town we lived in at the time and ended up joining a board game group that met every weekend. Everyone there was welcoming, and quickly introduced me to an endless stream of new and exciting games. I was the youngest player there by at least 15 years, and one of only a handful of women, and it didn’t matter at all – I was just another gamer. That experience is one of the reasons I fell in love with the hobby back then, and why I love being involved in it now. Over the last few years I’ve started regularly going to as many cons as I can, reviewing board games for my own website, and am very excited to have just started working for Bezier Games as well. Board games have been a huge part of my life, and I just want to give back to the hobby and help it become better and better.

In general my gaming tastes lean towards medium-heavy Euro games, but I’ll play anything at least once. Most of all I love trying out games with something unusual about them, because I love the challenge of puzzling out unique or complex game systems.

Other than being a board gamer, I’m a video gamer and general geek, I love salsa dancing and I’m learning to sew.

I’d like to say a huge thank you to Stephanie for nominating me for Geek of the Week. It’s an honour to join the long list of people who have contributed to the BGG community and helped make it what it is today.

Poll
Vote on which statement is the lie amongst the two truths by Phoebe:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I learned to play five different instruments when I was younger, including the bagpipes.
25.0% 52
I’ve never seen any of the Star Wars movies.
47.1% 98
I have my scuba diving license, but not my driver’s license.
27.9% 58
Voters 208
This poll is now closed.   208 answers
Poll created by zinfandelle
Closes: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:00 am

And here are some questions for Phoebe (I stole these from Elad because they were so good!):

1If you could take only one game component to a lonely island, which one would you choose?

2 What is your favorite video game (or PC) of all times?

3 Best game you've played but never owned?

4 Can you name the last book you have read?

Congratulations and have a lovely week, Phoebe! <3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mb
Congratulations Phoebe!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of learning to sew?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Phoebe, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Phoebe and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks Stephanie!

zinfandelle wrote:

1If you could take only one game component to a lonely island, which one would you choose?

I'd take a meeple and make it my friend like Tom Hanks on Cast Away - its name would be Meep and we'd be best buds.

zinfandelle wrote:
2 What is your favorite video game (or PC) of all times?

Favourite game is hard! I'm going to cheat and say two. The Halo series for nostalgia (I grew up playing them with my dad), and Portal / Portal 2 because they're incredible and the wit is on point.

zinfandelle wrote:
3 Best game you've played but never owned?

I loved Dominant Species the few times I've played it, but haven't bought it! I don't know if I'd get it to the table enough, but I really should buy it so I can try.

zinfandelle wrote:
4 Can you name the last book you have read?

Poseidon's Wake by Alastair Reynolds - if you're a sci-fi fan, he's one of the best authors I've read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of learning to sew?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R

Thank you!!

1 I've never really gotten into war gaming, but I also haven't had a chance to play much of them. Generally I prefer games with interaction but without direct conflict so I have a feeling they wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I'd be more than happy to give a couple a go! I think the closest I've gotten is Axis and Allies, and (at a stretch) Star Wars X Wing.

2 I guess the answer is no because I haven't really played any!

3 Ah, Risk. I don't think I've played it for 10 years or so, but I remember enjoying it at first and then getting frustrated at it once players start getting ganged up on and knocked off the map (whether it was me or someone else). I didn't like the idea of people being eliminated and then having to sit around potentially for hours for the game to finish, especially as a kid. That's a trend in my gaming tastes today - games with elimination are almost always a no-go for me unless they're really quick like Coup

4 I've only played Axis & Allies a handful of times, and it was with the first game group I joined. I enjoyed the tactics, but usually got trounced as a newbie 10 year old! I'd be interested in playing it again now and see how it lines up with my gaming tastes.

5 Xactika is a game in my Top 10, but everyone I mention it to gives me a funny look and goes "Huh?". It's literally the best trick-taking game I've ever played - it takes a couple of games to get your head around it but it's really interesting when you do.

6 Operation! While I'm learning, I have that intense feeling of concentration as I desperately try not to mess up the stitching, same as when you're willing your hand to just stay steady for 3 more seconds while you remove this poor guy's ribcage. The good thing is all mistakes are fixable like in Operation, it just takes a bit more time to put it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Phoebe!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

Thank you

I probably have to go with Rincewind from the Discworld series, Gandalf would be a very close second. Rincewind is a great unlikely and unwilling "hero", and I'm a huge fan of the books in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great choice! Congrats Phoebe!

My question: What is the one game you haven't covered with Cardboard Vault that you wish you could?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
What a great choice! Congrats Phoebe!

My question: What is the one game you haven't covered with Cardboard Vault that you wish you could?

Thanks Gil!

One of the games I'm most excited to play and review is Chronicles 1: Origins, but it needs to be released before I can do that

I'm a huge fan of both Rob Daviau's and Dirk Knemeyer's designs, so I can't wait to get a chance to play Chronicles when it's finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Phoebe, enjoy your week as top Geek thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anoryx
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Phoebe! I've had the pleasure of playing many fine board games with Phoebe, and I have never encountered anyone more passionate and enthusiastic for the hobby than she is. She is awesome. Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Congratulations, Phoebe!

You take some pretty long-haul flights to get to and from US cons. What are the best / worst flight experiences you've had?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
darker wrote:
Congratulations, Phoebe!

You take some pretty long-haul flights to get to and from US cons. What are the best / worst flight experiences you've had?

Thanks Eric!

1 Let's get the worst experience out of the way - this one was actually a domestic US flight (with AA). I was flying with my mum, travelling to Orlando for Disney World. I have type 1 diabetes, and all my fragile supplies were in my backpack in the overhead locker. Everyone gets on the plane, and one of the flight crew starts coming along straightening all the bags in the overhead section and pushing them in, but doing it very roughly. Concerned for my medical supplies, my mum points to my backpack and asks the crew to please be careful with it because it has fragile items. The woman ignores my mum, my mum asks again when she gets closer and is ignored again. The woman starts grabbing my bag and shoving it around, I yell out to her thinking she hasn't heard my mum, and my mum gets up and goes to put a hand on the bag so she can't keep shoving it.

At this point, the woman starts yelling at my mum, accusing her of assaulting her, and gets the captain who threatens to kick us both off the plane and says to me that "Maybe you should find another form of transportation if you're so delicate".

Fun fact: That was the day I learned just how much stress can raise my blood sugar.

2 I don't have any completely amazing flight stories, but one of the best was flying back to Australia and getting an entire row of seats to myself so I could actually sleep comfortably the whole way. (If you ever fly to Aus, reserve a seat on the aisle towards the very back of the plane. There's usually lots of empty seats coming back, and the back always has the empty rows if there are any at all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony McRee
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Phoebe. So glad I got to meet you at BGG Con last year.

Of all the deadliest snakes in Australia, how many have you encountered?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Phoebe,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Almost last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?

Will you be at PAXAus or MeepleCon later this month/year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
damcree wrote:
Congrats Phoebe. So glad I got to meet you at BGG Con last year.

Of all the deadliest snakes in Australia, how many have you encountered?

Thanks Tony!

I've only encountered two different types of snakes that I can remember - a few brown snakes and a tiger snake. I used to live in the country, but we always aim to scare off the snakes by making lots of noise as we walked around, and talking loudly, so seeing them wasn't actually very common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Phoebe!

Have a fantastic week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratz, Phoebe. What a great choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Phoebe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Phoebe! Enjoy your week thumbsup

Here's my usual questions:
What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?
What's your favorite comic/manga (if you have one)?
If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Pike III
United States
Oregon City
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoorays!! Many hoorays! Phoebe so glad to hear you have been chosen as geek of the week. Well deserved!

My questions are:

1. What emoji do you use most frequently?

2. If you were to design two new boardgames, one themed after something mundane and one themed crazy way out there, what themes would you choose?

3. Cards with creases and bends . . . "That is a truly loved game" or "WHAT!? Who would do this to their cards!?"

4. When are you visiting the great Pacific North West so we can geek over a board game (or seven) in person?

Congrats again! Enjoy your geeky week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to Phoebe!

Have a great week as official BGG geek of the week - honestly, where does a geek go from here ?!

Seriously, that's my question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Phoebe!

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.