Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just borrowed this game from a friend. We played it 3p and I thought it was a solid game. I borrowed it because I am curious to try out the solitaire version as the AI looks really cool.

I know there have been some reports of production issues and such (although I haven't followed the game at all until now). Additionally, I hear the solo rules are somewhat unclear (though said friend did his best to point out the ambiguities, it's tough to grok them having never encountered them). The final problem is that by the time I get to play this (staying by my in-laws later this week), internet access will be extremely limited so checking the rules forum on the fly is not an option.

I'd like to go into this game prepared. Any resources you fine folk can point me towards to get over the common hurdles encountered by new solo players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
Just read over some of the "solo" or "solitaire" (also "Lonely Ocean") thread postings here in the Rules Forum. Also the first post by game designer Nat in the Official FAQ & Errata (a general forum thread) as it lists several items that need correction or explaining. Don't be discouraged about getting beat by the Captains as each has a slightly different strategy and once you figure things out a bit it will get easier. The first time I played the solo game I didn't understand that the split Prepare/Launch a ship doesn't mean you do both at once. First prepare a ship if you haven't got them both prepared yet and then launch one when the captain lands on it again. If it looks like the captain might end up building one of the buildings you would like to use, let him, as you can probably get to use it more than him anyway. Focus instead on buildings that are good for you that he won't build. Don't let him get to far ahead by getting the good victory buildings either (like Seamen's Bethel). Have fun, it is nice to find a game that can be played solo that you can mix up a lot for variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! I was checking the rule forum, noticed the FAQ thread in the General forum. That's a huge help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.