Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*The Run Down
Valura is inspired by Dr. Strange and Dr. Fate as a powerful spell wielder who uses interesting spells of deities and wizards to both harm and frazzle her opponents. Unlike her husband, she will not rely on her immortality to fight, but more her magic, though her immortality will keep her persevering through a fight longer than a normal mage.

*Bio
Once she left her husband, Valura travelled the world, learning of the magical arts where she could so she could one day break the curse on her so she may feel the love for her husband once again. Over time, she grew bitter and angry as she was a woman in a world that did not yet give her equality with men and lashed out at those that stood in her way. As she grew more powerful, she became more flustered as her power was not able to break the curse of a deity.

After a few millennia, Valura had learned enough magic to know that her curse could not be broken and swore that if she had to be alone and miserable, she would make the world suffer and feel her pain. She learned of her husband's intent to protect humanity from evil and moved to stop him only to be stopped by his students. She would not let him be happy while she suffered for eternity and would make him suffer with her by destroying all that he has come to care about.

Villain: Valura
HP:75
Nemesis: Thaun

Villain Character Card, Front (Immortal Enchantress)
--------------------------------
Setup:
At the start of the game, put Valura's character cards into play "Immortal Sorceress" side up. Then reveal cards from the top of the villain deck until (H)-2 enchantment cards are revealed. Put the enchantment cards into play and shuffle all other cards back into the villain deck.

Gameplay:
-At the start of the villain turn, Valura regains (H)-1 HP.
-When Valura's HP reaches 0 or lower, return her HP to 75 and flip her character cards over to Enraged Sorceress.
-At the end of the Villain turn, each player discards the top card of their deck. If a player discards a one-shot, Valura deals their hero (H)+1 energy damage.

Advanced:
-Hero targets damaged by Valura deal 1 less damage until the next villain turn.

Villain Character Card, Back (Enraged Sorceress)
------------------------------
Gameplay:
-At the start of the Villain turn, play the top card of the villain deck.
-When an enchantment card is put into the trash, Valura deals each hero target (H)-1 energy damage and Valura regains 2 HP.

Advanced: Increase damage dealt by Valura by 1.

Ongoing, Enchantment (Qty:13)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Barrier of Vazra (Qty:3)
HP:8
-Redirect all damage dealt to Valura to this card.

Bindings of Orm (Qty:3)
HP:5
-Play in front of the hero character with the highest HP.
-That hero's player cannot play cards.
-At the end of the villain turn, Valura deals 3 energy damage to the hero character that is beneath this card.

Bonds of Zerahaus (Qty:2)
-Play in front of the hero character with the second highest HP.
-When Valura is dealt damage, redirect (H) damage to the target hero instead.
-When 3 or more damage is redirected in this way, destroy this card.

Eye of Nit (Qty:3)
HP:5
-Play in front of the hero character with the second to lowest HP.
-At the beginning of target hero's turn, Valura deals that hero (H) psychic damage.

Veil of Isa (Qty:2)
-Valura regains (H) times 2 HP
-Valura is Immune to all Damage
-At the start of the villain turn, destroy this card.

One-Shot (Qty:12)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Refresh (Qty:3)
-Shuffle all enchantment cards in the villain trash into the villain deck.
-Play the top card of the villain deck.

Flames of Galahoot (Qty:2)
-Deal each hero target (H) fire damage.

Touch of Me'Sye (Qty:3)
-Deal (H)-1 damage to the hero target with the highest HP.
-That hero targets damage is reduced by 1.

Wrath of Morgiteth (Qty:4)
-Destroy (H) non-villain ongoing and/or equipment cards.
-Valura deals X fire damage to the hero targets with the highest HP and the lowest HP, where X is equal to the amount of Equipment and Ongoing cards destroyed this turn.

Any suggestions and recommendations would be most appreciated. This is the Second Villain of the series I am creating. My artist is pretty busy so no art yet. Always looking for a new artist if anyone is interested.

(Edit Notes)
-Added damage ability to Valura to give her a higher challenge feel.
-Added damage effect to Bindings of Orm
-Removed ability from Valura's front side to balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I like this design, it's a pretty clean minimal villain that lets the cool villain cards do all the talking. The enchantments are nice disruptive designs, I like Bonds and the Bindings especially.

Obviously, no playtesting, but at present it seems like the front side might be a bit of a drag? She only plays one card a turn, and she doesn't deal any damage herself. Of her cards, 8 (Barrier, Bindings, Veil) are purely defensive, and another 9 (Bonds, Touch and Wrath) are mostly defensive while dealing a pretty minimal amount of damage. Only Flames and Eye (4x between them) are directly offensive, and even then Eye is not hard to work around. Having a villain with such a big focus on defenses would work for someone like Baron Blade where the villain card itself is trying very hard to kill you, or Valura's flip side where she's dealing you pretty serious damage each turn creating pressure. On the front side, I feel like you'd just be whacking on a punching bag each turn - sure, it might take you 4-5 turns to take her down with her healing and constant disruption of you, but she's not doing much significant in the meantime - no pressure, not much fun. To be honest, it would seem like the best strategy is just to stall on her front side till you're all set up, then go nuts on the flip side.

Put another way, assuming each Eye of Nit manage to trigger once before you killed it, if Valura played her entire deck as an Immortal Enchantress (which would take 22 cards if you count Refresh) she would deal a 4 man team...
2 x Flames of of Galahoot (2 x 16) = 32
2 x Eye of Nit (2 x 4) = 8
3 x Touch of Me'seye (3 x 3) = 9
4 x Wrath of Morgiteth (4 x 8) = 32
Total of 81 damage, a 4 man team would have 110sh HP, so it would take about 30 turns for her to bring down the team - this doesn't really seem like high stakes!

If you want to keep her cards being mostly disruptive (which I do like!) you might want to make the villain card itself do something quite dangerous so the pressure is on, rather than just battering through a series of obstructions. Baron Blade (any of the three versions) is a good model for this sort of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Added a new ability to Valura to give her more of a sense of urgency. Good call, did not think of that. Any other suggestions to make her feel a little more dangerous? May add a little more to her cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Playing a new card whenever she loses an enchantment seems like it could get really frustrating (was that there before?) - the majority of her deck is enchantments, so odds are when you destroy one she'll just pop out another, and then when you destroy that another and... Seems like it'd be quite difficult to make progress, and not in a fun way! The bulk of her enchantments either destroy themselves (Bonds, Veil) or MUST be destroyed (Barrier), leaving only Bindings and Eye as the only ones you could potentially stand to leave in play to stop her playing something else, and to be honest a game were Bindings stick around turn after turn making me not play my character seems not fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree. I put that in last time thinking it would increase her difficulty. Did not think far enough ahead to see that it would make her difficult on a fun killing level. Thank you for spotting that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.