4 Posts

The Banner Saga: Warbands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Victory conditions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Pedersen
msg tools
mbmbmb
According to the rules, the victory conditions are to achieve the objective on the mission, in which case all players win.

However, I recall the game being marketed as a "cooperatition" kind of game, where only the player with the highest amount of renown would win in the end.

Also, it seems that as a fully coop game where all players win, the interactions between players seem a bit dull, there is no drive to not spend renown.

Have I missed something in the rules, or has the game changed to be a fully cooperative game, where all players win or lose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aldridge Wilder
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I believe all players do win or lose together, however I wouldn't call the game completely cooperative.

One of the major pieces of the game are internal or external events which always indicate a choice made by 2 or more of the roles. The competitive piece comes when you disagree on those choices. You can typically extrapolate that a choice has a better chance of costing you supplies, troops, or get you into a battle (although it's never a sure thing). Also if you're a role player the choices always have some flavor text. The other day we had one "The warmaster thinks that the thane is undermining his ability to lead the troops in battle...". Needless to say the two roles did not get along for the rest of the game.

Many victory conditions will require you to amass renown to either level your character up or just have it to win so there can be drive to hoard renown. Likewise if you especially want a certain choice (say not losing supplies as a quartermaster) there's drive to spend it on that choice.

In short, it can be as cooperative or competitive as you make it based on how you play your role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
ajes78 wrote:
According to the rules, the victory conditions are to achieve the objective on the mission, in which case all players win.

However, I recall the game being marketed as a "cooperatition" kind of game, where only the player with the highest amount of renown would win in the end.

Also, it seems that as a fully coop game where all players win, the interactions between players seem a bit dull, there is no drive to not spend renown.

Have I missed something in the rules, or has the game changed to be a fully cooperative game, where all players win or lose?

It's feels very very silly if you're not roleplaying -- there's a large portion of the rules dedicated to hashing out debates between players, but it's a co-op game so there's no reason for players ever to come into conflict unless people are super obstinate.

In my game, it always came down to the highest renown player putting in one renown just so that we didn't get the penalty for not bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.