United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taught this game several times, and one aspect seems to rankle players more than any other. No, not the massive amounts of iconography (while it's initially overwhelming, it all eventually makes sense). No, not the neutral liverymen (a.k.a. thugs, who while despised for their effect, are accepted as a wild element). It's the rule about not drawing cards on the last turn. Why is this rule present? It is inconsistent with all other turns (making it easy to forget), and it makes it difficult to achieve some mayoral rewards. Was this final card draw abused during playtesting?

This is the only nit I can pick in an otherwise fantastic game. I crave more opportunities to play GoL.

Thank you, Tony!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Mayoral Reward card that cares about cards in hand at game end; taking 4 cards in the last round is an easy 4 points so removed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
There is a Mayoral Reward card that cares about cards in hand at game end; taking 4 cards in the last round is an easy 4 points so removed it.

There's still a hand size of 7, right? And if you draw 4 to max out that card, that's instead of potentially scoring points from playing... maybe that isn't worth the extra rule?

isn't there also a Mayoral Reward card that wants you to have the same number of Mayoral Reward cards as GoL cards in hand? Does the "don't draw in last turn" rule affect that at all one way or the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.