Subject: AI moving rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
If the AI inverted stack must move, how do we know if it can move 3 or 4 hexes? (as it is unknown if the stack has a leader in it)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mathews
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Homemade war wrote:
If the AI inverted stack must move, how do we know if it can move 3 or 4 hexes? (as it is unknown if the stack has a leader in it)...

This is actually answered in the standard Combat Leader rulebook. Section IV.A states the leader bonus for movement only applies to "face up counters moving with a face up leader or AL". This is also confirmed in the Solitaire Module rulebook under paragraph C of the Enemy Appearance subsection of the Encounter Scenarios rules.

So in the solitaire system inverted enemy (AI) units do not get the leader movement bonus. For that matter, this would also be the case for inverted counters in a two-player game. Once a stack containing a leader is disclosed it will use the leader movement bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you. I usually read more carefully.
Rick, under Unit Activation, the rules state that the AI will determine "which hexes are activated, and the number of units in the hex that will act" (paraphrasing).
As far as I could determine, ALL units in a hex perform the priory action; not any less.
Do I have this correct?
P.s. I love this system and this module. Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mathews
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know if I'm missing something here, but I don't believe there is such a phrase in the Solitaire Module rule book. Perhaps you are referring to the first paragraph under the Enemy Activation heading on page 4, which states that the activation rules "determine which enemy-occupied hexes activate, and how enemy units in those hexes will behave". It says nothing about the number of units in the hex, because the preceding Definitions and Procedures section confirms that all standard rules of Combat Leader apply, which includes the rule about all units in a hex activating.

Thanks for your encouraging words about the module (and your high rating). I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hill
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Rick,
Apologies again. I read "how MANY enemy units in those hexes will behave".
I'll slow down. This was just my first play.
The reason I imposed that word, "many", is because in my game, nearly all the Russian units became combined in to a single stacked hex and became immobilized in that hex due to there always being a LOF available to them (they could never move (or split up), of course)
As a result, they became a fixed, highly dangerous target for nearly the entire game and were consequently mowed down.
I understand it tho! Every game will be unique!
I'm just now pondering the "mixed action" CL optional rule and how it might help in splitting up an extremely overstacked enemy hex in the solitaire module.
That's probably playing with Fire, tho!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.