$30.00
Recommend
30 
 Thumb up
 Hide
89 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Solo Board Gaming: Don't judge if you don't do it... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: drama [+] this_is_my_blog,_right? [+] [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen several comments as of late about people retorting to another's reply about how they DON'T solo board game or that they would never CHOOSE to solo board game or worse, feel bad for someone who DOES solo board game.

People who solo board game do so for a reason and not that it's anyone else's business but it certainly doesn't call for criticism.

I love to play board games with others, no doubt about it, the people I play with is mostly what makes board gaming fun for me. This past summer I got Eldritch Horror and realized I that if I wanted to play it I HAD to do it solo. Out of the 15 times I've played I only played it twice with another person. Do I "WANT" to play it solo? Nope. But I do to get my "fix" and I'm okay with that.

This reminds me of a few people who have said to me that they don't like to eat dinner in a restaurant alone or go to the movies alone because they might be looked at like a lonely loser. That's their prerogative, I have no issue with that but if I choose to go alone that's my business and if someone is going to say a snarky remark about it to me then they should keep it to themselves.

#FIREDUPATASSHATS
sorry, a childish thing to post
soblue

EDIT (for clarification): I like to solo board game, it's fun to me. I don't like it when I see people's condescending comments about people who do solo board game and I don't mean the joking around kind of comments, I am talking about the mean kind. I am sorry that I said for people to not make criticisms about others, people can say what they want, I don't mean to silence them. Hopefully this clarification is acceptable.
67 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't bother me. I do many things solo such as gaming, puzzles, woodworking, watching tv or youtube, playing with my dogs, cooking, and I couldn't be happier.
It's funny how solo friendly people don't really care what others do but others have to comment about solo people. Makes you think about who envies who.
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Send them here: 1 Player guild.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I have seen several comments as of late about people retorting to another's reply about how they DON'T solo board game or that they would never CHOOSE to solo board game or worse, feel bad for someone who DOES solo board game.

People who solo board game do so for a reason and not that it's anyone else's business but it certainly doesn't call for criticism.


#FIREDUPATASSHATS


 



17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to solo gaming.

I have no problem solo gaming, or for that matter, soloing other things. Going to the movies by yourself is amazing (sit where you want, see what you want, don't have to share concessions). More power to you for doing what you enjoy, even if that means doing it by yourself sometimes or most times.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Arkham Horror gave me the soloing bug, and now there are quite a few games I prefer solo. I've been to restaurants and movies alone too, although less frequently. Guess it doesn't bother me.

It's odd how somehow soloing a video game is okay.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read many comments about solitaire game play. As with most else in life, those remarks range from positive to negative and everywhere in between.

I fully understand the preference (or even insistence) of those who play games ftf with one or more other players. The social aspect of gaming is very important to them. As such, I would never serve a disparaging remnark in that direction. (In fact, I cannot think of how any such disparagement could be conceived).

That said, I fully understand the points put forward by solitaire gamers, whether it be for a few particular games that their other gaming buddies do not like playing, or whether it be for a (total) lack of opportunity to have any ftf play, or even if that is the mode of play they prefer. Here also, I would never utter a diaparaging remark about their mode of play.

How people play their games is entirely up to them.

For myself, I love playing games with others but my opportunities to do so are quite critically limited by my geographical location. I have had some very kind and geneous invitations to go along to gaming groups over the past year, but having had to surrender my driving license after a stroke, I cannot actually get to such venues (and paying for taxis is out of the question as I live solely on my teacher's pension).

Thankfully, I also appreciate the attractions of solitaire play. Many games cater for the solitaire gamer, many games are co-operative which lend themselves to solitaire play and those that don't, well I enjoy the challenge of finding a way round the limitations imposed on a solitaire gamer by a competitive game (and if that proves futile, there is always Vassal and the like).

Indeed, there is a tremendous amount of fun to be found from soilitaire play; playing solo doesn't diminish the intellectual appeal of a game, the enjoyment one can derive from it, the sense of exploration in studying the various playing styles and approaches in the game, etc., etc., etc.

I cannot recall reading any disparaging comments about gamers who play in a gaming group. The same is not true about solitaire gamers. Those who make such remarks may not be aware that they are disparaging, but for those who do, in fact, look down their noses at solitaire gamers, they should step back and think about it a bit more.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
or go to the movies alone because they might be looked at like a lonely loser.

always found that a bit odd as it really is a solo activity.

As I'm sure is true for everyone, many of my hobbies are solo activities. I just consider board games having the added bonus of able to be a very sociable activity so I end up choosing my other hobbies when alone.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see a huge benefit to playing solo. For example, I have Scythe, and it has a solo variant (Automa). I want to get to know the strategies of the game with different factions and players cards without reading other people's "takes". I'm interested in the journey. I just got Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and this is also a game that plays solo very well. The cool thing is, I can play something very challenging rather than just plopping my substantial rear end in front of the TV and rotting my brain.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like this thread should have been reserved for solo posting.

Pete (doesn't do that either, but doesn't mind that others do)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Playing Arkham Horror gave me the soloing bug, and now there are quite a few games I prefer solo. I've been to restaurants and movies alone too, although less frequently. Guess it doesn't bother me.

It's odd how somehow soloing a video game is okay.


Sort of. There are definitely people out there that think the only socially acceptable video games are ones with local multiplayer that can be played at parties (Mario Kart, Wii Sports), and anything else is for losers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I love to play board games with others, no doubt about it, the people I play with is mostly what makes board gaming fun for me. This past summer I got Eldritch Horror and realized I that if I wanted to play it I HAD to do it solo. Out of the 15 times I've played I only played it twice with another person. Do I "WANT" to play it solo? Nope. But I do to get my "fix" and I'm okay with that.
So you agree with everyone else's opinions about it being a sub-optimal experience, but you want it to remain an unspoken truth?

We're here to discuss boardgaming. You might as well ask people not to share negative opinions about games they don't like. It's part of being on a discussion forum.

killerjoe1962 wrote:
I have seen several comments as of late about people retorting to another's reply about how they DON'T solo board game or that they would never CHOOSE to solo board game or worse, feel bad for someone who DOES solo board game.
After I read this, I planned on telling you that every person who says they don't like solo gaming is another opportunity for you to share your passion and your love of playing games solo... until I realized that you don't. If you were making an impassioned plea to let people know that playing games solo was a lot of fun, I'd respect the heck out of you.

But you're not here to stand up for what you love... you're here because it rubs you raw when people remind you that you have to play games without other people. You don't want to silence people because you disagree with them, you want to silence them because they're hitting too close to home for your comfort. That's a whole different kettle of fish.

It's a bit hypocritical for you to call other people out for having the same opinion of solo gaming that you do. Or to voice your opinion about other's behavior when you want them to remain silent about yours.
10 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly prefer some games solo (Ascension, Legacy, Legendary Encounters Alien), simply because they play much faster solo and are just about me finding a good solution - but don't mind playing them with others either. I have lots of games with no solo variant, those are the ones I mostly get out when my friends are over and while I do love playing with others I also really enjoy my little lonely gaming time plenty as well. Sometimes I just don't feel like watching a series or movie or playing video games, sometimes I want something real and touchy that will occupy my thoughts & hands for 30-60 minutes. But I guess it mostly depends on my mood and how lazy I feel. ;)

I also do enjoy a lot of solo activities with other people tho, I play Point & Click adventures or other single player video games with friends, binge watch a whole season of a good series together with my boyfriend, or we read books to each other or listen to audio books together while cleaning. Stuff like that. Sometimes I'd play a round of Legacy while my boyfriend plays a single player game on the PC, I'll listen to the story of his game and from time to time we'd discuss my family tree. *shrugs* So I guess I enjoy solo, multi or semi-solo activities quite equally. ;)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I love to play board games with others, no doubt about it, the people I play with is mostly what makes board gaming fun for me. This past summer I got Eldritch Horror and realized I that if I wanted to play it I HAD to do it solo. Out of the 15 times I've played I only played it twice with another person. Do I "WANT" to play it solo? Nope. But I do to get my "fix" and I'm okay with that.
So you agree with everyone else's opinions about it being a sub-optimal experience, but you want it to remain an unspoken truth?

We're here to discuss boardgaming. You might as well ask people not to share negative opinions about games they don't like. It's part of being on a discussion forum.

killerjoe1962 wrote:
I have seen several comments as of late about people retorting to another's reply about how they DON'T solo board game or that they would never CHOOSE to solo board game or worse, feel bad for someone who DOES solo board game.
After I read this, I planned on telling you that every person who says they don't like solo gaming is another opportunity for you to share your passion and your love of playing games solo... until I realized that you don't. If you were making an impassioned plea to let people know that playing games solo was a lot of fun, I'd respect the heck out of you.

But you're not here to stand up for what you love... you're here because it rubs you raw when people remind you that you have to play games without other people. You don't want to silence people because you disagree with them, you want to silence them because they're hitting too close to home for your comfort. That's a whole different kettle of fish.

It's a bit hypocritical for you to call other people out for having the same opinion of solo gaming that you do. Or to voice your opinion about other's behavior when you want them to remain silent about yours.


Do I "want" to play board games solo? No, i'd rather play with other people, I like that. (Here's where I needed to add this) But I do it and I LIKE it. Played several games of Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu solo and I enjoyed it, had any of my friends been available to play with me I would've liked that, too.

As for keeping snarky remarks to oneself, well, that's just a suggestion and NOT a command.


(sometimes I just need to freakin' PROOFREAD my posts)

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing is, what can solo gamers do if we insult them?

It's not like they have any friends to set on us.
31 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on my third solo attempt to play and understand Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection. I can't imagine trying to teach or learn this game with others, unless one person was well versed in this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Thing is, what can solo gamers do if we insult them?

It's not like they have any friends to set on us.


Sorry but this is hilarious. devil
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Thing is, what can solo gamers do if we insult them?

It's not like they have any friends to set on us.

This post is wrong on a certain level, but I have a policy that if a post makes me laugh out loud (which is rare), it gets a thumb.

Good job!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't welcome input and opinions from others then, perhaps, posting on a public forum on the internet is not for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Thing is, what can solo gamers do if we insult them?

It's not like they have any friends to set on us.

But what if all their friends are only interested in sports, going to the gym and things like that instead of board gaming? Maybe insulting them isn't such a good idea after all. ;)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
#FIREDUPATASSHATS


Once you put that in your initial post I figure it is open season for the insults to fly. Not the best way to garner sympathy for your pet cause.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
I'm fine with solo gaming, but during semi-coops I still get paranoid about who the traitor might be.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
flag msg tools
I play solo games for different reasons than I play with other players. To play with other players is a way for me to connect and to interact. When I play solo games it is more akin of reading a book for me, a way to relax. One reason I think some people dislike being criticized for playing solo games is that they take the critizism personally and don't want to be judged for what they do. That is understandable.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I wasn't interested in solo gaming early on, the interest in games was partly for us to get away from our phones/tablets and to have some fun together round a table!

But I thought it was cool that some people enjoy it. Cardboard is awesome however you take it!

These days I am easing into some solo play. The draw here is I didn't get a few games, because my wife didn't want to play them. Like Mage Knight. Then I figured, I have opportunities to play these solo



Ditto war games.

My big regret is not getting Merchants & Marauders plus Seas of Glory, I could have solo'd that!

cry

I generally try not to be judgemental about people's hobbies. If you enjoy your hobby, whatever is it, it's doing an important job in my book! Gotta have some buzz in your life!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not sure what´s the issue here is.
Nothing wrong in having and playing Boardgames solo. Not always you get or have the chance/opportunity to go some local club of yours to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.