Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Line Command card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matti Luostarinen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Line Command card says nothing about that how many units can be ordered when you play it.
So, my question is, how many units can I order when playing it? As many as your command, or even more if they are all in line?
Thanks.
Masa
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The card can order as many foot units that are in an unbroken line.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
The card can order as many foot units that are in an unbroken line.


Which if you can get your line organized it unleashes devastation on your opponent.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
supermaxv wrote:
The card can order as many foot units that are in an unbroken line.


Which if you can get your line organized it unleashes devastation on your opponent.

devil Yup. The "aw crap" look on their face just makes it the sweeter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the card carefully. It give you this info.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Nierensieb
Germany
flag msg tools
Can the line split in the way of a Y? Or is it no line anymore?

Probably stupid question, but I never am sure.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as they are connected foot units that's all that matters. Note that the arrangement (line, Y-shape or anything else) is irrelevant. Note also that a non-foot unit in the middle of a "line" might break the connectivity - unless connectivity can be established by other genuine foot units.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
CyberGarp wrote:
supermaxv wrote:
The card can order as many foot units that are in an unbroken line.


Which if you can get your line organized it unleashes devastation on your opponent.

devil Yup. The "aw crap" look on their face just makes it the sweeter.


My 12-year old son used this card this evening to seal a win on the banks of Crimissos River. I took a risk and moved several Carthage LI and AI units to within 2 hexes of his HI line because I had a "Darken the Sky" card to use next turn to rain spears (and rocks from slings already positioned across the river) on him. Thought that maybe he wouldn't be able to activate that much of his line. Oops. "Line Attack" of HI coupled with bonus combats did me in.

Little stinker.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Read the card carefully. It give you this info.
Exactly. The titles are there for chrome (at least some of them), read the text of the card. FWIW, the cards says:

Issue an order to a block of foot units. The block must be formed from foot units that are all in adjacent linked hexes...

No restriction on number of units, nor shape of the group, nor number of sections, so no restrictions (only the troop type). For example, Double Time reads:

Issue an order to 4 or less foot units in a block (adjacent linked hexes)...

As a general rule, restrictions are always explicit.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
something that may assist you in the future is the C&C Ancie nts FAQ

http://www.commandsandcolors.net/ancients/the-game/main/faqs...

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danberniekeeler wrote:
claudermilk wrote:
CyberGarp wrote:
supermaxv wrote:
The card can order as many foot units that are in an unbroken line.


Which if you can get your line organized it unleashes devastation on your opponent.

devil Yup. The "aw crap" look on their face just makes it the sweeter.


My 12-year old son used this card this evening to seal a win on the banks of Crimissos River. I took a risk and moved several Carthage LI and AI units to within 2 hexes of his HI line because I had a "Darken the Sky" card to use next turn to rain spears (and rocks from slings already positioned across the river) on him. Thought that maybe he wouldn't be able to activate that much of his line. Oops. "Line Attack" of HI coupled with bonus combats did me in.

Little stinker.


Then it was more along the lines of gulpsoblue

Those kids will surprise you. My saving grace is mine has absolutely NO poker face, so when he cannot suppress the big grin and gets really fidgety in his chair I know something's up. I still stumble into his trap half the time anyway though...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Luostarinen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I thought it is so, but wasn't quite sure. Now I know. Sounds very powerful card compared to others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masa wrote:
Yep, I thought it is so, but wasn't quite sure. Now I know. Sounds very powerful card compared to others.

Well, for some armies it is not very useful! This happens maybe more in the expansions, but often I have been playing armies with a lot of cavalry, or with separate groups of infantry, and I almost tried to get rid of them...

It is also a card that often needs some preliminary maneuvers, in order to maximize its effect, and in that sense it can be easily anticipated when you see the opponent rearranging his line (maybe bluffing?).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masa wrote:
Yep, I thought it is so, but wasn't quite sure. Now I know. Sounds very powerful card compared to others.
Until your units get separated by the multiple effects of combat... Then forming a large block of units can be quite difficult to do, and you will be happy with a block of four.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masa wrote:
Yep, I thought it is so, but wasn't quite sure. Now I know. Sounds very powerful card compared to others.


At the Beginning of the Game for a side that is Infantry heavy, it is a very, very powerful card! A Line Command or two allowing you to advance your heavy middle and support units goes a long way toward winning!

After a few turns and there are gaps it ends up being the last choice to move units (and not the FIRST!) IIRC it allows only one hex of movement which is very limiting for Lights!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.