Subject: early game strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may be missing something. In every game I've played so far (only three, admittedly) I'm not getting anywhere near enough people to get the 2 and 3 strength annexes as well as being able to kill and bury. Should I use an action to cash in my initial 10-franc cheque? Otherwise, how do you pay for all the people you need? I understand the 'rebate' for using a worker skilled in that field but I'm just struggling to get around to building an engine. There aren't many playthroughs, and I'm clearly stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a lot of games before I noticed you are supposed to start with 5 Francs in cash as well as a checque.

Other than that, taking a 0 or 1 rank green guest and building them for a quick cash boost early can help you build a hand of accomplices. Getting the discount annexes like the parlor and workshop also helps get the engine going.

That said, a level 3 annex is a big, big move, and takes a major commitment of actions and resources. Only make one if it truly benefits your strategy, because odds are you will only make one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Barbati
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
Should I use an action to cash in my initial 10-franc cheque? Otherwise, how do you pay for all the people you need?

Cheques can never be changed into cash, the launder action only goes the other way round. As Ed says, you start with 5 francs for the initial expenses, which will quickly run out if you don't kill and bury someone. Some green annexes give you some cash, too, in addition to precious burial spaces. However, the first things you should consider are cards that give you some kind of permanent discount (e.g.: workshop, parlor, cellar)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iaanus wrote:
Cheques can never be changed into cash, the launder action only goes the other way round.

Yes they can, page 5.

Quote:
Cash Checks in order to increase your cash by 10 francs per Check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah B
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Penfold: Have you got something clever up your sleeve, DM? Dangermouse: Only my arm, Penfold, and that's no cleverer than the rest of me.
mbmbmbmbmb
iaanus wrote:
Cheques can never be changed into cash, the launder action only goes the other way round.

That's not correct. The rules for "Pass (and launder money)" say:

Quote:
You can choose not to do any of the [other] actions on your turn. In this case, you are allowed, but not required, to meet the crooked village notary to launder money. You can then either:
- Exchange a portion of your cash for 10F Checks (for example, you can give up 20 francs on the Wealth Track to earn two 10F Checks).
- Cash Checks in order to increase your cash by 10 francs per Check.

Edit: hah! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iaanus wrote:
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
Should I use an action to cash in my initial 10-franc cheque? Otherwise, how do you pay for all the people you need?

Cheques can never be changed into cash, the launder action only goes the other way round. As Ed says, you start with 5 francs for the initial expenses, which will quickly run out if you don't kill and bury someone. Some green annexes give you some cash, too, in addition to precious burial spaces. However, the first things you should consider are cards that give you some kind of permanent discount (e.g.: workshop, parlor, cellar)

We've always played that they could be. I don't have the rules handy, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

(Maybe we've got different versions/translations with different rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you can cash the cheque- why else would you start with one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Barbati
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, you got me. You can actually cash the cheque. However, it's such a dumb an expensive move that I have never seen it used in many games and one I couldn't figure out when it might be productively used in a truly competitive game. Time is more valuable than money in Bloody Inn, as you got much fewer turns that you'd like to have, so losing a turn is almost always a less optimal alternative to just play carefully. I believe the rule is there simply to provide a way to a reckless player that has spent all his money to avoid feeling excluded from the rest of the game (although he has probably lost anyway at that point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen players cash checques in the first or second turns to have enough francs to build a larger hand of accomplices and hold them for a few turns rather than taking them piecemeal and relying on peasants. It can be effective- the opportunity cost tends to pay for itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Monk, Concierge, Distiller are all great early game annexes, to help pay for those early accomplices, and build your engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.