Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is SO much new stuff in the Fed faction. How much of an edge does a Klingon player (a good one like Steve Smith) still have against an optimal Federation build?

Note that due to the time limit, you can't just kill all the Klingons unless you can do it quickly, so the need to lower your shields is still a major limitation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Projected Stasis Field and Klingon Board party can wreck the enterprise in the Kobayashi Maru. Also the Klingons have a whole pile of new upgrades too that can make things very difficult for the fed player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Yeah, a ship with PSF and KBP/T'kar/Torg, with Martok8 nearby is basically insta-lose in ship pure.

Ch'Tang/Adm. Gowron/Martok8/Worf/Barrage of fire pretty much ends it too.

We went with TOS/ENT only to make it somewhat plausible.

Still. High bar for the No-Win Scenario. Ill think on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gallagher
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like Justin said, Projected Stasis Field + Klingon Boarding Party is insta-lose. Nevertheless, here's an attempt:

Federation Starship (Constitution class) [20]
James T. Kirk (Tinyprise) [6]
Corbomite Maneuver [3]
Corbomite Maneuver [3]
Adm. Matt Decker [1]
Infiltration [5]
William T. Riker (Ent-E) [5]
Phlox [2]
Beverly Crusher [3]
Total: 48 pts. (Initiative could be crucial here.)

Very straightforward build: get to range 2 of Kobayashi Maru ASAP, after moving use Riker to activate a Corbomite or Infiltration, disable Phlox to remove disabled token from Riker, disable Crusher to prevent Phlox from disabling. Use the ship's Action to disable shields and get a mission token.
Repeat x2, then run.

Ideally, I'd like to add Warp Jump to the ship somehow to near-guarantee victory, but I just don't see how to do it in 50 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you CAN do with a modern constitution is to kill the Klingon ship WITH the stasis field device at range 3 though. That added combat power is available in a way it didn't used to be. Naturally if 2 or more ships have stasis devices that is more problematic, but they only have 80 points for what is usually 3 ships so there is not a lot of extra points for PSFs.

So you could destroy that ship (or even try to get 2 of them if there are 2 with PSFs) but that would really endanger the ability to rescue the crew before the time expires (9 rounds), so you might lose on that basis.

I've seen builds even in the old days with Corbomite, you just have to have a way to trigger the action without using your main ship action (which I see Andrew's build does). Will Sanchez (State of the Federation) had a build that did that. That idea is as viable today as it was then. But are there more tricky ways to avoid damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, this has made me think. In the past, this mission was the one you played against new players. They didn't need experience or a fancy build because they were still going to kill you no matter what you did. This was even against D7's or K'Tingas but especially if they used Vor'Chas.

Things HAVE changed. Using a PSF is tricky, you have to figure out how to get that ship to R2 before it's destroyed. The initial approach is a delicate thing of out-guessing your opponent, not something you'd normally give to a new player.

Plus if you decided to risk the timer and go after the Klingons first, you were going against potentially 3 ships just as powerful as yours or more (at least by primary weapon) with the cloak to blunt your 3 dice attacks. It was, let's face it, hopeless. That's why we didn't typically do that. But now that's a real option. On 50 points you can configure a Constitution class (prob Refit or Enterprise A) with enough firepower to burn through the Klingon cloaks to destroy a ship per shot, or at least in 2 shots. The Klingons have some new toys too, but on 80 points they can't employ many of them. If you use Vor'Chas you're probably still going to lose as the Feds, but it's not hopeless anymore given your better arcs and your high dice attacks.

It IS a different mission now. Still balanced to the Klingons I think but is it still a good mission to give Klingons to the new player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.