Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Austin
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
The first time I played was a 4-player game where no one had previously played the game - so we were all learning as we went. It took about three hours. However, there are two caveats to that: 1) we weren't playing with the corporate era cards, which can increase the game time, and 2) we are all pretty avid boardgamers, so pick up quickly on rules and strategies.

The attack cards weren't an issue in our first game; I only recall seeing two played over the entire game. But, that can differ from game to game and what cards are drawn (we only got about two-thirds through the base deck) or what strategies people opt to use. Other times I've seen them come out consistently, and some games everyone is more friendly, opting not to use the attack portion (affecting another player's resources is always optional), while others get more cutthroat with people even trying to edge each other out on the map.

Regardless of how they're played, the attack cards have never been a big deterrence in my opinion. The effects are usually more a annoyance than a setback and rarely hinder anyone for long. Plus, with them reliant on the luck of the draw (and being fairly scarce), it's rare to see multiples of them used against one person or within one generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend budgeting for about 3-4 hours. I just played this weekend - three of us total, one first-timer - and we ran about 3.5 hours, albeit with a handful of analysis paralysis. I've heard some people say that a 4-player game is actually a bit quicker, which I can see being true, given that there would be fewer generations played.

As for attack cards, there are a good handful of them, but none of them are even close to devastating - more like minor setbacks, which in a game of this theme, are a welcome addition.

Hope you enjoy it!

EDIT: We used the draft variation during research phase, which likely added a good amount of time. If you are just drawing, and not drafting, you will likely save some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If players know the game, two hours. Add an hour for new players. Attack cards aren't an issue in a negative way. They are a positive issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah with 4 players I really wouldn't recommend any of the Advance cards (Red Dot) ones. And the drafting is a must. If you do the advance stuff it will take much longer but makes for a much deeper game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the game almost 10 times now, I'm basically sick of pulling out all the advance cards at the end of the game when I'm going to show new players, so I've left all the cards in. (but we did not Draft) When I played last night in a 4 player game with 3 new players, the game took about 2 1/2 hours.

I played it 4 times over the weekend. 3 of the games everyone had played before (and used the draft/longer game variant), and the games took between 2 1/2 and 3 hours. (which I don't mind as they were a fun 3 hours)

I've noticed some threads about the game going to long, but I've found every game very appealing, and I've seen most games develop differently then every other game, which I find fascinating.

I haven't seen the attack cards really add that much time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lat saturday we played 2 games with 3 players each. We took about 6-6.5 hours for both games together. We played the full variant with CE cards but without drafting. The other two players had played the gam once two weeks ago and at some points it was obvious that they needed some time to read and evaluate their cards. I think with som more experience we can cut it down easily by half an hour per game. So 2.5 hours seems to be realistic for us. Until now we don't feel any need for drafting which would increase the gametime again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Gischer
United States
California
flag msg tools
We played a 4-player game this weekend. It took maybe 3.5 hours, we had one new player who spent quite a while reading his cards and figuring out what they did.

In this game, my daughter played the corp that starts with lots of titanium, and she drew lots of events that dropped lots of rocks on our heads. These events usually destroy some plant resources. That's a primary form of attack in the game, though not the only one.

I caught the worst of it from these attacks. It definitely slowed me down. I had one greenery tile lay lined up that got nixed.

Nevertheless, I won the game, beating her out by maybe 5 points. I was playing Tharsis Republic, and I had a lot of tiles on the board that were counting for multiple cities. Also, I had two milestones, an award, and a ridiculously high income. She was way ahead of me in TR.

I'd say the attack cards are useful, but not unbalanced. Working as intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Neale
United Kingdom
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. I now know that this will suit my gaming group.
I'm off to Essen Spiel tomorrow and will pick this game up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The attack-the-plants cards are a crucial balancing element against the plant-collecting strategy. Without them, the plants are over powered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.