$20.00
$60.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions regarding prologue through first locked box [spoilers are hidden] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A general question about newly revealed components:
1. Are players expected to look at them as they are unlocked, or are they added into the game sight unseen unless the game specifically states otherwise? For example, when an event is removed from a sealed bag, is it shuffled into the deck without looking at it, or do they players look at it before shuffling it into the deck (so they know what's coming)?

The following questions relate to the contents of the first locked box:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
2. There are two sets of cards with the same backs but different-colored text boxes. Am I correct in assuming these should be mixed together, or should they be kept separate (and if so, do players choose which pile to draw from)?

With regards to Rule 16,
3a. "You may raid another player's ship" means that if the defender has two ships in the space, the attacker gets to decide which one will be the "defending ship" (with the other offering support), right?
3b. "The defender picks the flagship" appears to contradict the general endeavor rules on page 10 which say that you (the acting player) get to "Choose a ship in the region to be your flagship". Am I correctly interpreting Rule 16 as saying that if the raiding player has two ships is the space being raided, the defender can choose the weaker of the ships to provide raid dice? (Example: a raid 4 ship and a raid 2 ship would effectively provide 2+1=3 raid dice, not 4+1=5.)
3c. Alternatively, do the above two mean that the defender chooses his own "flagship" to be the attacker's target (and can therefore offer up a "sacrificial lamb", so to speak), and the attacker chooses the attacking flagship as normal?

With regards to Rule 12,
4a. "Gain glory for the endeavor as normal": Will this always (or until a new rule says otherwise) be 1 glory "as normal", or does the glory increase based on the glory value marked on each column? If the latter, is the number marked bonus glory in addition to the normal 1 glory, or instead of the normal 1 glory?
4b. Am I correct in understanding that there is no rule requiring you to find the island in order from east to west, other than the fact that the difficulty goes up? (Ie, you can find the island in the difficulty 6 column before finding the island in the difficulty 5 column.)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions [spoilers are hidden]
There's already two long threads about Rule 16. Your question about Rule 16 has already been discussed there, and if it hadn't then that would be the place to ask it. No one who's searching for the discussion/answer in the future is going to know to find it in a thread titled "A few rules questions".

FWIW, no, your interpretation of Rule 16 seems completely wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions [spoilers are hidden]
DaviddesJ wrote:
There's already two long threads about Rule 16. Your question about Rule 16 has already been discussed there, and if it hadn't then that would be the place to ask it. No one who's searching for the discussion/answer in the future is going to know to find it in a thread titled "A few rules questions".

FWIW, no, your interpretation of Rule 16 seems completely wrong.

I've read that discussion, and it was tacked on to the end of another completely different question about Rule 16, and therefore would be easy to miss, much as I did until I read through the other thread more thoroughly. As to whether the interpretation is right or wrong, the wording of the rule is easily ambiguous enough to support either interpretation -- since
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the only time the term "flagship" is used is to refer to the ship the acting player uses to lead the endeavor.

The alternative interpretation you proposed makes sense, but is not what Rule 16 actually says ... thus the question (though I'm editing my question to include the other interpretation). Hopefully it gets clarified in one direction or the other.

But I do appreciate your eagerness to promote a thorough understanding of the rules. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions [spoilers are hidden]
Quote:
1. Are players expected to look at them as they are unlocked, or are they added into the game sight unseen unless the game specifically states otherwise? For example, when an event is removed from a sealed bag, is it shuffled into the deck without looking at it, or do they players look at it before shuffling it into the deck (so they know what's coming)?


Per the other [url="https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23915598#23915598"]thread[/url] on this topic, this is up to player preference.

(Can't answer the other question because we haven't started yet).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions [spoilers are hidden]
Organizing the rules questions by what rule they are about has to be the best way. It can't possibly be easier to miss a discussion of Rule 16 tacked onto the end of a thread titled "Rule 16" than it is to miss a discussion of Rule 16 in a thread titled "A few rules questions".

But organization of the forums has never been BGG's strong suit.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A few rules questions [spoilers are hidden]
DaviddesJ wrote:
Organizing the rules questions by what rule they are about has to be the best way. It can't possibly be easier to miss a discussion of Rule X tacked onto the end of a thread titled "Rule X" than it is to miss a discussion of Rule X in a thread titled "A few rules questions".

But organization of the forums has never been BGG's strong suit.

While I agree in principle, another perspective might be that thread names of that sort could be considered light spoilers of a sort, as they would reveal information as to what section of the rules were expanded -- and in what order, based on the sequence of the threads.

That said, I've changed the title to help clarify; those who have unlocked the related material will have at least some indication where to look.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'd love to see someone who is far along in the campaign start a spoiler rules thread like The Captain's Log. But like this (modeled on the Pandemic Legacy FAQ:


RULE 1
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rule 1 rulings.


RULE 2
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rule 2 rulings.


RULE 3
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rule 4 rulings.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to start collecting that information as my own campaign progresses (and official clarifications occur). I have some catching up to do.

That said, I don't claim ownership on the concept, so if someone else feels the driving need to forge on ahead, more power to 'im!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Organizing the rules questions by what rule they are about has to be the best way. It can't possibly be easier to miss a discussion of Rule X tacked onto the end of a thread titled "Rule X" than it is to miss a discussion of Rule X in a thread titled "A few rules questions".

But organization of the forums has never been BGG's strong suit.

While I agree in principle, another perspective might be that thread names of that sort could be considered light spoilers of a sort, as they would reveal information as to what section of the rules were expanded -- and in what order, based on the sequence of the threads.


Except that the rulebook already reveals that by providing spaces for stickers when rules are enhanced/changed/added. We all know that the game changes, it's not a spoiler that it changes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
A general question about newly revealed components:
1. Are players expected to look at them as they are unlocked, or are they added into the game sight unseen unless the game specifically states otherwise? For example, when an event is removed from a sealed bag, is it shuffled into the deck without looking at it, or do they players look at it before shuffling it into the deck (so they know what's coming)?

The following questions relate to the contents of the first locked box:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
2. There are two sets of cards with the same backs but different-colored text boxes. Am I correct in assuming these should be mixed together, or should they be kept separate (and if so, do players choose which pile to draw from)?

With regards to Rule 16,
3a. "You may raid another player's ship" means that if the defender has two ships in the space, the attacker gets to decide which one will be the "defending ship" (with the other offering support), right?
3b. "The defender picks the flagship" appears to contradict the general endeavor rules on page 10 which say that you (the acting player) get to "Choose a ship in the region to be your flagship". Am I correctly interpreting Rule 16 as saying that if the raiding player has two ships is the space being raided, the defender can choose the weaker of the ships to provide raid dice? (Example: a raid 4 ship and a raid 2 ship would effectively provide 2+1=3 raid dice, not 4+1=5.)
3c. Alternatively, do the above two mean that the defender chooses his own "flagship" to be the attacker's target (and can therefore offer up a "sacrificial lamb", so to speak), and the attacker chooses the attacking flagship as normal?

With regards to Rule 12,
4a. "Gain glory for the endeavor as normal": Will this always (or until a new rule says otherwise) be 1 glory "as normal", or does the glory increase based on the glory value marked on each column? If the latter, is the number marked bonus glory in addition to the normal 1 glory, or instead of the normal 1 glory?
4b. Am I correct in understanding that there is no rule requiring you to find the island in order from east to west, other than the fact that the difficulty goes up? (Ie, you can find the island in the difficulty 6 column before finding the island in the difficulty 5 column.)




1. That is up to your play group, many including my own just ad them without looking.

2.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Need a little bit more specifics on what you are saying that the two sets of cards are. I don't remember when some of the boxes are.


3a.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
No, the attacker only selects his own flagship. The defender selects his flagship to defend.


3b.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Again, only you can select your own flagship. So the attacker chooses his own and the defender chooses his own.


3c.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Yes, and it is a valid strategy to protect a ship that may have cargo.


4a.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You get 1 glory for the endeavor + glory for the value of the island(indicated by column)


4b.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
As far as I have experienced you can find the islands in any order.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcs1213 wrote:
2.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Need a little bit more specifics on what you are saying that the two sets of cards are. I don't remember when some of the boxes are.

I am referring to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
what I believe to be the research cards. Something like half of the cards are greyish on the text side, and the rest are brownish on the text side, and they are separated by color but they all have the same back. My assumption is that they should be shuffled together, but the fact that they are divided into two sets like that made us wonder.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
I am referring to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
what I believe to be the research cards. Something like half of the cards are greyish on the text side, and the rest are brownish on the text side, and they are separated by color but they all have the same back. My assumption is that they should be shuffled together, but the fact that they are divided into two sets like that made us wonder.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
If they had the exact same back then I believe they should be shuffled together. I do not own the copy my group has been playing so I can not go verify. Research cards grant you bonuses for actions so if both sets do that then you should be good to mix.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
mcs1213 wrote:
2.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Need a little bit more specifics on what you are saying that the two sets of cards are. I don't remember when some of the boxes are.

I am referring to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
what I believe to be the research cards. Something like half of the cards are greyish on the text side, and the rest are brownish on the text side, and they are separated by color but they all have the same back. My assumption is that they should be shuffled together, but the fact that they are divided into two sets like that made us wonder.


One is for land one is for sea. Same deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorting the cards with the same back by what they say on the front seems like a strange idea. Would you sort a bridge deck and deal the hearts separately from the spades?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Sorting the cards with the same back by what they say on the front seems like a strange idea. Would you sort a bridge deck and deal the hearts separately from the spades?

No, but if I were playing any number of conventional card games, I likely *would* separate out the two jokers, which have the same back as the other 52 cards in the deck. Not doing so seems like a strange idea to me.

I would do this because I have played such games and understand how the deck should be used in those games -- and if I didn't, for a particular card game, I could probably look up the information online from hundreds of different sources. None of this is true for SeaFall. Which makes the question less of a strange one than *you* might think.

@J Kaemmer: Thank you for actually pointing out the reason for the difference, thus answering the question!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
One is for land one is for sea. Same deck.


Thanks, like I said before don't own the copy we are playing and I didn't remember the exact distinction.

DaviddesJ wrote:
Sorting the cards with the same back by what they say on the front seems like a strange idea. Would you sort a bridge deck and deal the hearts separately from the spades?


Come on now, if you have played far enough to get to this point why answer in such a way. We all know that the different types of cards usually have a different back so that they can form distinct decks. However - Like once you unlock rule 7. (if you haven't unlocked rule 7 do not read the spoiler text.)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Curses have the same back as damage cards and are mixed in with them but are a distinct set of cards. I couldn't remember if it was like that so I wanted to answer as best I could without spoiling things.


Try to help next time and not be snarky, we all are trying to have fun with a game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm trying not to be snarky but I don't understand what in the rules would possibly make you think that you should sort the research cards into two (or more) decks, separating those that give land exploration bonuses from those that give sea exploration bonuses. (You might even have to sort them more ways.) Is there anything at all in the rules to suggest there should be more than one research card deck? Where would you put them? How would you decide which to draw from?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


Thank you Kaemmer and Matt for those answers.

It helped me a lot!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.