19 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Am I the only one who.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
Loves everything about this game except the combat? I just feel like the entire game comes to a halt when it comes to combat, where both sides throw a quadrillion dice, then you have to assign dmg, only to have alot of it blocked by cards and then you throw a quadrillion dice again, and it just takes soooooooo long.. I guess it is pretty thematic since space batlles would takes along time.. But I would really wish they would have made the combat in the game different so it would be more fluent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not the only one. See one of the other gazillion threads on the topic.

However I personally think combat is just fine the way it is, and I have no interest in any "fix" or "variant" on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/spsearch.php?objectid=187645&objec...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
On these forums I feel like im almost lonely in liking the combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would point out, you throw a max of five dice per round. I used to throw one per allotment as well, but that's apparently not how it works. Maybe that'll speed up combat for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
I would point out, you throw a max of five dice per round. I used to throw one per allotment as well, but that's apparently not how it works. Maybe that'll speed up combat for you?

You actually throw a max of 5 dice per color per round so you can get 10 dice rolled per round.

I enjoy the combat. As I have said before the only problem I have with the combat is the rest of the game is phenomenal, therefore you want to get back to it quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dara
msg tools
mbmbmb
Arontje wrote:

You are not alone Aron!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arontje wrote:

Nope, I enjoy combat as well. Anything that didn't use the cards would just end up being deterministic favoring the Empire.

Because the cards are powerful, it's important getting the better leaders in combat situations. Since those leaders also tend to be best at missions it adds another decision point, especially for the Empire, who would love to run the emperor/Vader on missions.

The system also makes assigning damage less automatic. Let's say you want to take down a star destroyer. It already has two hits on it. You roll three hits and the Empire has one card in hand. You can either risk assigning just the two damage and use the third on something else, or you assign all three to the destroyer in case the held card is a defense card.

It also allows some level of bluff. An attacker can hold back a card they could have used in the first round. This will likely cause the defender to assign damage in a less than optimal manner even though the held card wasn't a block card.

Even with all the shenanigans, most combat takes less than five minutes. There may be one or two large fights that take longer, but overall they aren't the 30 minute showstoppers they are made out to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also speed up the very small cleanup battles with a bit of negotiation.

If you attack a planet with one troop on it, offer the individual troop an automatic hit if the opponent agrees to no one having to draw cards or roll dice. It's not an official rule, but I've found it to be a common practice in games where combat can take some time as an unofficial house rule (TI3, etc).

They get a free hit they likely wouldn't have gotten even with leaders and cards thrown in, and it saves a bit of die rolling and shuffling. In return, you get insurance against a really bad run of dice/cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arontje wrote:

A poll shows so far that a strong majority likes the combat. It's the vocal minority that doesn't and make it seem as if it's not good.

I think it's great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oceanemotion wrote:
Am I the only one who..

posts teasing, incomplete clickbait thread titles like Buzzfeed? No. Unfortunately not, you're not the only one who does that.

Combat is ok. It's the weakest part of the game, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. I like that heroes matter, that a leader can turn a seemingly one-sided battle around, that's very thematic. But it's slow, and drawing new cards is a PITA. I don't hate it but I wish it was better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the combat...
I love chucking shitbuckets of dice...

AT4LIFE..BRO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kasper, you are not the only one and i agree with you 100%. In a game I would rate A++ had it not been for the combat system, I am hoping they offer a replacement mechanism in any expansion they release. That is actually the only thing I want out of any expansion they release. I'll be disappointed if they don't.

I want a system where choices matter and the decisions are not always 100% obvious what should be done, as in the current system. Quicker combats without any of the fiddly card would be best. Chuck dice, possibly use a 1-time leader ability, and have the dice and/outcomes influenced by leader ground/space stats. SOLD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess the one thing I really dislike about combat is how little leaders figure into it. In the A Game of Thrones board game, leader cards usually had special abilities that made battle more interesting. In Rebellion, they just dictate how many of each type of card you get. Probably the biggest crime against flavor in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
I guess the one thing I really dislike about combat is how little leaders figure into it. In the A Game of Thrones board game, leader cards usually had special abilities that made battle more interesting. In Rebellion, they just dictate how many of each type of card you get. Probably the biggest crime against flavor in this game.

I really like the combat system of AGOT. I mean the use of the leaders.
But here in SW:R as it is right now it is impossible to insert the system with leaders. Leaders of SW:R are used to activate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghorro wrote:
I want a system where choices matter and the decisions are not always 100% obvious what should be done, as in the current system. Quicker combats without any of the fiddly card would be best. Chuck dice, possibly use a 1-time leader ability, and have the dice and/outcomes influenced by leader ground/space stats. SOLD!

I understand where you are coming from, but both of the bolded statements seem to be in opposition.

The cards are the only thing providing uncertainty in what would otherwise be a routine exercise in assigning damage based on the die rolls.

Having everything known at the moment of assigning damage would make it 100% obvious what should be done in every instance, some other hidden mechanic would be needed.

The Game of Thrones example would work, but the uncertainty there is based on a bluffing game that becomes more deterministic the more combat cards are played. A system like that would work but, unfortunately, be difficult to square away with the activation system because it would be a bit disjointed for Vader to be running a mission in one system while his combat card is played for effect in another (then the Rebels would know that the Vader card couldn't be played again for x turns).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wheels
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:
oceanemotion wrote:
Am I the only one who..

posts teasing, incomplete clickbait thread titles like Buzzfeed? No. Unfortunately not, you're not the only one who does that.

Ugh. My thoughts exactly. Much like the posts in Rules subforums entitled "Rules question".

Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty K
msg tools
Oh yes please, just leader abilities, one use or passive and no tactics cards.

I had reverted to counting double lightsabers as normal hits because I couldn't stand the complexity of the cards for large battles. At least for me it just wasn't at all interesting.

It's not so bad for smaller battles though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

The combat is fine. It works. It plays a valuable role without being too fiddly.
That being said, there are 2 issues. 1 is lack of theme, and the 2nd is the cards being a little fiddly.

The overall game reeks of theme, yet combat is mindless dice rolling with plus 1 or negative 1 damage cards. It doesn't mesh or flow well with the rest of the game.

By changing the combat cards, and the base mechanic, you could do some really interesting stuff without modifying the underlying rules.

So, 1st off, make the cards more interesting. Add some narrative to them, and make them creative. Tie Swarm: If you have more fighters than the opposition, reroll 1 black die. Heroic sacrifice: If you lose a fighter, play this card to cause 1 red damage to enemy ships. You could make generic cards that work for either side, or have specific faction decks.
Some cards would have specific conditions to be met (some might still be basic +1/-1 dmg), but this creates a narrative, and interesting stories. But it creates a problem of drawing cards that don't work for you, so you simply create a hand of combat cards.

Your combat card hand would have 3 or 5 of each ground and space combat. When combat starts, you draw an additional amount of combat cards in accordance with your leader, then draft that many cards from your hand to use.
So lets say you have a hand of 3 space cards, you play a leader that has a skill of 2. You draw two more cards giving you 5, then select the 2 you want to use in that battle. Any unused cards from those 2 are discarded after battle. New cards drawn during battle could be directly drawn into the combat hand like they are now, or drawn and drafted from the master combat hand.
This gives you the ability to make sure you are taking cards that you can use, or would want to use. It would make sure the cards are effective for your strategy.

As is, drawing cards that are worthless can seriously cripple your combat ability, or make the cards worthless all together.

End result is a little more fiddling, but the payoff is significantly more engaged combat with a stronger narrative element which actually adds to the theme.
It honestly wouldn't create a time issue either as it would require a larger deck so instead of having to shuffle a small deck after every combat, you would only shuffle once you drain a deck. So the constant shuffling is simply replaced with a small draft phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.