Hide
14 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Buying this and Awesome 9000 and one more rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Conde
msg tools
So I've been looking at this game for some time and finally had the chance to play the base set. Absolutely loved it, a lot of fun. I think the factions in Awesome 9000 look pretty unique but balanced enough to add to the base set and still have pretty much any combination be effective.

I would like to get one more expansion as well, because I think it would be great to deal four faction cards to each player and allow you to pick two of them so there's some randomness as well as some strategy to your deckbuilding.

What I'm trying to figure out is which expansion blends well with these two, providing unique factions that will not be so much better than the base set and 9000 that they become a no-brainer choice. Frankly, I've read most of the cards that correspond to the subsequent expansions sometimes they appear to be pretty OP (which happens often, it feels like there's some serious powercreep).

So I'm asking for thoughts: if you could only get one more expansion, and based on these concerns of promoting a balanced gameplay with the other twelve the factions, what should I buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your fault is good fun, and gives you a bonus faction. Can't go wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Devir
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geekmail sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Czerniewski
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either of the two most recent expansions - It's Your Fault or Cease and Desist - add greatly to the game. All of the factions with these two sets are great. Also really good: Pretty Pretty and Monster Smash.

Personally, I like the Cthulhu expansion (not just because it's obligatory), although not everyone else does. Same applies to the Munchkin set.

Science Fiction Double Feature is actually my least favorite of the expansions and one I would only really recommend if you're like me and want everything for the game.

If you plan on really getting into the game, you will need the Big Geeky Box, which comes with Geeks, which is in my opinion the best faction in the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Conde
msg tools
MrMT wrote:
It's your fault is good fun, and gives you a bonus faction. Can't go wrong!

How does it stack with the others? Will it make base sets seem underpowered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Conde
msg tools
Cease and Desist I love some of the thematic elements but I'm afraid these guys are really OP (except the Ignobles who look interesting but not OP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarince Edjure
msg tools
I really do love It's Your Fault, and while there is some of that "no-brainer" factions, like the sharks pairing with any destruction faction. I still think it can add to your desired game balancing. It is a great fit for weaker factions, while not seeming over powered (except for the Greeks, but they aren't any scarier then zombies or robots). Sci Fi double feature is a good addition, nothing too drastic (just watch the shape assisters). Honestly, there are always going to be some unbalancing, because even the base set and 9000 have over powered factions. Just trt suggesting good factions to noobs and have the more experienced players go for the difficult factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Conde
msg tools
Yeah, I think I'm buying It's Your Fault. I was doing some research and I really wish Cowboys had made it in over Sharks, though, just for the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
Only one? Well I'd go with It's Your Fault.

None of the factions are that complicated, with the exception of the greeks but even then just looking at all the cards in the deck before you play will usually clear up any confusion about how they play. They also all feel unique with the exception of dragons which kinda feels like tricksters meets steampunk (and unfortunately if you have base + A9k you're getting them both).

That being said the greeks are amazing, the sharks are fun, the secret faction is surprisingly good, the dragons are effective and the super heroes ... well I'd put them mid tier maybe but if you pair them with the right people they can be awesome and there's a few of them in base + A9K

If you decide to get another one after that I'd recommend Science Fiction Double Feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
skidawgkc22 wrote:
Either of the two most recent expansions - It's Your Fault or Cease and Desist - add greatly to the game. All of the factions with these two sets are great. Also really good: Pretty Pretty and Monster Smash.

Personally, I like the Cthulhu expansion (not just because it's obligatory), although not everyone else does. Same applies to the Munchkin set.

Science Fiction Double Feature is actually my least favorite of the expansions and one I would only really recommend if you're like me and want everything for the game.

Why does everyone hate that one so much?

skidawgkc22 wrote:

If you plan on really getting into the game, you will need the Big Geeky Box, which comes with Geeks, which is in my opinion the best faction in the entire game.

Best at getting everyone to hate you maybe. If you really want to piss people off play Geek tricksters (or as I like to call it the Fuck You deck). Or add dragons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Conde
msg tools
Update: so I just got this and Awesome 9000 and have been playing with friends. It's a ton of fun. May I say that Bear Cavalry/Pirates is a wicked, wicked combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
seasnake wrote:
Update: so I just got this and Awesome 9000 and have been playing with friends. It's a ton of fun. May I say that Bear Cavalry/Pirates is a wicked, wicked combo.

Try plants/dinos devildevildevil

Everyone will hate you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Czerniewski
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Father Time wrote:
skidawgkc22 wrote:

Why does everyone hate that one so much?

Cthulhu or Munchkin? I've heard hate for both. I think it's because both sets add mechanics to the game - Madness for Cthulhu, Monsters and Treasures for Munchkin. I always play with these mechanics because I'm a Smash Up completionist and you never know when you'll need them. I honestly don't get the hate myself.

If you're asking about my personal dislike of SFDF, it's simple: with the possible exception of Shapeshifters (specifically the Mimic cards), the factions are just blah. Time Travelers flat out suck. Spies are just okay, and I just don't care for Apes.

Father Time wrote:
skidawgkc22 wrote:

Best at getting everyone to hate you maybe. If you really want to piss people off play Geek tricksters (or as I like to call it the Fuck You deck). Or add dragons.

I'm of the opinion that Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day are the best and second-best cards in the entire game. That said, if you're playing with me, you need to try to remember Wheaton's Law ("Don't be a dick").

Actually, the move that got the most hate from me: Aliens recycling their Invaders - the guys who flat-out give you 1 VP. There's no bigger dick move, in my opinion.

Really, the other major reason to get the Big Geeky Box: storage, storage, storage.

Lastly, the first time I ever played this game: Tabletop Day 2015, and it was with Geeks and Minions of Cthulhu. Even though I lost the game miserably, those two factions will always be special to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Kaup
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend SFDF or Cease and Desist as a 3rd expansion. Save Cthulhu for later as it's more unbalanced than other expansions, save Munchkin for later since it actually made some of my local players quit due to hating Munchkin!

SFDF has two nice factions in Shapeshifters and Spies which I find rewarding to play against because you need to understand the specific threats well, and well, Time Travelers and Apes aren't very good but at least they have flavor.

Cease and Desist rewards planning big bursts ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.