Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
I dont know why, but i guess it feels appropriate to use stone age as a comparison point...

With stone age, I feel that there is not much to explore after a while. Its not a bad game, but i dont tinker with how i play anymore.

By comparison mage knight for me has a lot of room for creative plays, and i feel like there are lots of things i bet i havent tried yet even though ive seen all the cards in the game and i have played the game like, 20 to 30 times. The possibilities arising from situations and what powers i get makes me get creative about how i go about my adventures each time.

How's this game in terms of paths to victories to be discovered/creative plays?

Thnx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game does not hold up to repeat plays. It's a fixed path for worker placement. Any interest in this fades after 3-4 plays at most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
This game does not hold up to repeat plays. It's a fixed path for worker placement. Any interest in this fades after 3-4 plays at most.

I disagree with this, but this isn't a game with creative plays and lots of discoveries. It is a simple version of 'Gric with a lot of room to "play the players". My personal opinion is that there are three distinct "paths to victory" and it's easy to switch between them. So, players are (or should be) constantly messing with each other, forcing each other to change directions and adjust to other players. That's where the game shines, not with the Fields of Arle, 'Gric, OeL, Mage Knight depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
So fields of arle....has that kind of depth of discoveries?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alafter wrote:
So fields of arle....has that kind of depth of discoveries?

I'd say so. Less than Mage Knight, but still quite a bit of room to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
It is a simple version of 'Gric with a lot of room to "play the players".

Bingo. You want to do what people aren't doing. (Like Agricola the full game, I guess.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
veector wrote:

I disagree with this, but this isn't a game with creative plays and lots of discoveries. It is a simple version of 'Gric with a lot of room to "play the players". My personal opinion is that there are three distinct "paths to victory" and it's easy to switch between them. So, players are (or should be) constantly messing with each other, forcing each other to change directions and adjust to other players. That's where the game shines, not with the Fields of Arle, 'Gric, OeL, Mage Knight depth.

I agree with everything you wrote Jimmy. My opinion mainly is, why play this over standard Agricola or All Creatures Big and Small?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
veector wrote:

I agree with everything you wrote Jimmy. My opinion mainly is, why play this over standard Agricola or All Creatures Big and Small?

ACBAS only supports 2 players. If I have 4 people that's an obvious reason to play this over ACBAS.

Time. Original Agricola is 2+ hours. Not everyone wants to play one game for that long. This is a 30-40 minute game at most.

Gateway. I'd have a much easier time playing this in a setting with family members and newcomers. It's attractive, streamlined and fairly simplified while still being a serviceable worker placement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
veector wrote:

Tahsin, sorry I missed this. For me, the reason to play this over 'Gric or ACBaS is when I'm more interested in playing the player than in exploring the space or coming up with cool combinations. For me, Family 'Gric is a very different experience than the other two. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sander
msg tools
I haven't yet played Agricola FE with others, but after trying out two 2 player sessions and one 4 player session, it feels like you really need the extra players to experience any kind of emergent play. I wouldn't recommend this just for two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.