Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to give this classic game a bit of a facelift by redesigning the components. I'm doing this purely as a hobby, and this is by no means official or for-profit in any way. Here's what I have so far.
Board

Defense Cards

Offense Cards (replaces Offense Charts)
Instead of the player on offense looking up a play on the chart, the player will select a card from an Offense deck at the same time the player on defense selects a card from the Defense deck. Then, the players "snap the ball" and reveal their chosen card to each other.

Scoreboard and Game Clock

The numbers for the scoreboard/clock are going to be on wheels, and the board will have knobs at the center of those wheels (where the white circles are) to change the numbers. Each wheel is designed to be rotated clockwise during the game.

Please let me know what you think so far. Any input is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, and good idea to eliminate the chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I really like what you are doing. Very cool. I really like the card concept over the chart.

One small but very significant suggestion: Come up with some decent solitaire rules for the game instead of just randomly picking a card.

If you would like to see what I have created for another football game (Fliip Football) check out my Vlookup solitaire helper here on BGG. Let me know if you think something like this would work for Football Strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I like the information on the defense cards but I think they need to show the results as do the offense cards.
Otherwise, I'm always in favour of this kind of upgrade. Looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huron725 wrote:
Wow, I really like what you are doing. Very cool. I really like the card concept over the chart.

One small but very significant suggestion: Come up with some decent solitaire rules for the game instead of just randomly picking a card.

If you would like to see what I have created for another football game (Fliip Football) check out my Vlookup solitaire helper here on BGG. Let me know if you think something like this would work for Football Strategy.

I'm not really interested in playing this one solitaire. Also, I want to keep the rules and interactions from the published version intact and keep my changes primarily cosmetic. Rules development isn't exactly my forte.

tanik wrote:

I like the information on the defense cards but I think they need to show the results as do the offense cards.

I thought about doing that, but then I realized there are a total of 66 possible offensive plays (22 for each offensive style) as opposed to only 10 possible defensive plays. It's a lot more difficult to effectively fit 66 results on each defense card than it is to fit 10 results on each offense card.

I understand the downside of not including the results on the defense cards is that the player on defense only has a vague sense of what counters what based on the running/passing description. The only viable solution I can think of is to still include the charts for reference, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Mr_Tricorder wrote:

tanik wrote:

I thought about doing that, but then I realized there are a total of 66 possible offensive plays (22 for each offensive style) as opposed to only 10 possible defensive plays. It's a lot more difficult to effectively fit 66 results on each defense card than it is to fit 10 results on each offense card.

I understand the downside of not including the results on the defense cards is that the player on defense only has a vague sense of what counters what based on the running/passing description. The only viable solution I can think of is to still include the charts for reference, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion.

Well, yes the defensive cards would need a substantial number of results, though technically there are 3 x 10 results for the offensive plays too, if you're including all the charts. But the charts being available would be fine. I actually like to have the big picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the chart is really really helpful to have to look at many play possibilities at the same time. Both sides could still use the cards though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

Mr_Tricorder wrote:

tanik wrote:

Well, yes the defensive cards would need a substantial number of results, though technically there are 3 x 10 results for the offensive plays too, if you're including all the charts. But the charts being available would be fine. I actually like to have the big picture.

It will still be only 10 results listed on each offensive card since I will have separate decks for Pro Style, Arial Game, and Ball Control.

I've started working on the Arial Game and Ball Control cards. Here's how they look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Ah, excellent. I was going to suggest that, except that it's a significant increase in labour.
Way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on card backs for the defense deck and the three offense decks I'm creating to replace the charts. Here's the design I've settled on. I have to admit though that I am not very knowledgeable on football formations and am not sure if the formation diagrams I created are accurate or appropriate for the decks. Please let me know if I should change anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't get the full-colored backs to print out consistently, so I had to replace them with lighter-colored backs. I also reworked the background color and chart colors for the board along with a few other little tweaks.

Anyway, I finished designing and assembling all of the components. Here are some pictures. Once I clean up the files a little, I'll upload them to the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
files uploaded and pending approval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Are there different rule versions for FS? If so which version did you base your component overhaul on?

The cards and field board look great. The scoreboard looks cool too, I was wondering if you had considered mounting the scoreboard on thin wood or plywood? Thanks for making your work available to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
Are there different rule versions for FS? If so which version did you base your component overhaul on?

The cards and field board look great. The scoreboard looks cool too, I was wondering if you had considered mounting the scoreboard on thin wood or plywood? Thanks for making your work available to us.

I designed these components to be compatible with the 1972 edition rules found in the files section here. I'm not aware of any actual rule differences between the different editions, but I believe the Aerial Game and Ball Control charts were added and the Pro Style chart was revised in the 1972 edition. The offensive decks and the charts on the board are based on the charts found in the files section here.

The defensive cards are taken directly from this forum thread reply. I believe this may have been from an older edition of the game, so I'm not sure if the card text matches the editions printed from 1972 onward. It shouldn't cause any serious problems though since the text has more to do with flavor than mechanics.

The back of the scoreboard is covered with a piece of chipboard. I took the picture of the wheels in the back before gluing the back piece on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting approval or did they not make it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:

Still waiting. It may not have uploaded properly though. I'll try uploading again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:

Still waiting. It may not have uploaded properly though. I'll try uploading again.

Any news?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:

Any news?

The files I'm trying to upload are simply too large. I'm going to try to reduce the file size and upload them later. In the mean time though, you can PM me and I'll send you a link to the files on my google drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've managed to fit the board, scoreboard, and Defensive cards on a pdf small enough to be uploaded. Once it's approved, I will add the Offensive cards to the entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.