$30.00
k c
msg tools
mb
This might be a silly question, but no one else has mentioned it that I can find, and it bugged me enough to start a new thread.

Can Starbases block new space lane connections? (or vice versa?)
Can you add more than one starbase to the same system?

I assumed that star bases are not "fixed" to where you connect them in their system. When I connected new lanes to an existing system with a starbase, I just disconnect the star base, add the lane, then place the starbase back wherever it fits.

I measured it... It is possible for a single starbase not to physically fit on a system circle. There are a few systems with a lane size of 5. Add in the Federation Advancement of "Advanced Stellar Cartography" and you can add 6 lanes to a single system. If the lanes are somewhat evenly spaced apart, a star base cannot physically fit between any of those 6 lanes.
Add in more than 1 starbase and you may not fit with 5 lanes.

I don't have any rules to back up either assumption, but I say that starbases are not limited to 1 per system, nor fixed to where you add them. I would place any starbases on top of a system that didn't physically fit (in the rare circumstance that this happened).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
No, they cannot block ship movement. They cannot do anything without a ship in orbit.

It's never been stated, but so far nothing except distance or multiple grouped space lanes can block a new connections.

They said that you cannot have more than 1 station in the same system and you cannot build one on your homeworld.

If they can't physically fit, I would say to just put it nearby,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
They said that...you cannot build one on your homeworld.

You can build a starbase in your home system. Where did you hear that you couldn't? It's not ideal, because it makes one aspect of the starbase (building ships and forming fleets) redundant, but you still get the extra command and help in space battles.

The sample first turn on page 27 mentions it as a key early decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the quick answer. I haven't found anything else about this yet, but I haven't read every thread yet either.

Can you cite where they said there's a 1 starbase limit per system, and no building in the home system?

I'm pretty sure you can commission a starbase in your home system per the rulebook.

pg 27 (Sample First Turn): "One key early decision is whether or not to Commission a Starbase on Earth. On one hand, it would increase her Commands by 1, which is very useful. On the other hand, Sally can already build Ships on her Home System, so some of the utility of a starbase is lost when it's on a Home System."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kcrandall15 wrote:
Can you cite where they said there's a 1 starbase limit per system...?

It's actually not written anywhere...it can only be inferred. Page 17 says to roll one extra die during space battles in a system you control that contains a starbase. It doesn't say roll one die per starbase or anything else about multiple starbases.

I think it's safe to assume the intent is that only one per system is allowed, but until we get an official ruling, you could argue that a strict reading of the rules would allow more than one. The only benefit you would get would be the extra command, but that's not nothing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mb
I found where Gale Force Nine said "No – There can only be one Starbase per System.".

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1621434/can-you-have-more-o...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Starbases, so far as I can infer from the tone of the rules, can be moved out of the way to make room for new space lanes. That is, they are not fixed in place, and do not actually take up room in the physicality of the board. This is OK, because there should always be room for both the space lanes and the starbase, simply on account of there not being any systems with so many connections possible as to run out of space.

Now, where we might actually run into trouble is with the Ferengi fleet that ignores space lane limits. Can they establish space lanes connected to a system such that there is no longer any room for a starbase on that system? That we don't know.

Until such time as we get an official answer, I would say a reasonable ruling is that you can move a starbase to make room for space lanes, but you cannot leave so little room that you cannot place the starbase anywhere on the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.