Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Metallic cubes come in denominations of 1, 5 and 10.
Exchanging heat for a temperature increase, or plants for a greenery, costs 8 cubes. That means that you have to pick up eight bronze cubes, or one silver cube and three bronze cubes, or one gold cube and take two bronze ones in exchange.

Life would be a bit simpler if the cubes were worth 1, 4 and 8. A greenery just costs one gold cube then, or two silver cubes.
I'll be trying this next time I play the game. It makes for just a bit less hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your plan to have the same denominations apply to all locations?

If so, you might try 1, 4, 10 instead. Just don't use the 10s in the greenery and heat areas. The 10s are really nice when you're making 40+ credits, more intuitive than needing to divide by 8.

Honestly though I think the oddity of either system will trip people up more than it will save anyone the effort of moving a couple of cubes. The 1, 5, 10 system is deeply ingrained. Moving away from that without labelled tokens is inviting disaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1,3,5 is also a commonly used denomination. I feel it would be a good compromise.

-You'd be able to get to 8 easily using just 2 cubes.
-You can do multiples of 5 and therefore 10 easily when paying higher card costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the nomination of 1, 5 and 10 is there for two reasons; 1) these are standard nominations on coins and bills which makes people comfortable counting with them. 2) for a lower nomination of the gold, there needs to be lots more gold cubes, which also makes them feel a lot less valuable. If you have fewer cubes in high nomination they feel more precious, which in turn would change the feeling of buying a high cost card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Life be a lot simpler around the globe if humans used base 12 instead of base 10 (for example, a 10 pack of something is evenly divisible just 2 ways, a 12-pack, 4 ways). I think the chance of that taking off is about as good as any game deviating from 1, 3/5, 10 denomination system, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
I'll be trying this next time I play the game. It makes for just a bit less hassle.

Just so long as noone at the table gets confused, more power to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Clevider wrote:
Life be a lot simpler around the globe if humans used base 12 (for example, a 10 pack of something is evenly divisible just 2 ways, a 12-pack, 4 ways) instead of base 10. I think the chance of that taking off is about as good as any game deviating from 1, 3/5, 10 denomination system, however.

Yeah. I've been trying to convince my local FLGS that that €10 bill should really be €12, but up to now they've not fallen for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
Life be a lot simpler around the globe if humans used base 12 (for example, a 10 pack of something is evenly divisible just 2 ways, a 12-pack, 4 ways) instead of base 10. I think the chance of that taking off is about as good as any game deviating from 1, 3/5, 10 denomination system, however.

Clevider, While I agree with the impulse, as a practical matter I'd rather not take off my shoes to "do" math. Those around me will generally agree. The idea of using the shoes for 11 and 12 is aesthetically unacceptable, it would have to be toes.

I think there just may be 5 ways to split up a 12-pack evenly, but I'm not certain with my shoes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchaney wrote:
I think there just may be 5 ways to split up a 12-pack evenly, but I'm not certain with my shoes on.

Well if we're going to be pedantic aren't there 6 ways. Or does the null split not count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
If so, you might try 1, 4, 10 instead. Just don't use the 10s in the greenery and heat areas. The 10s are really nice when you're making 40+ credits, more intuitive than needing to divide by 8.

Jon, I'm with you in spirit, but the prime factors of 40 torpedo your example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the play tires work out with these changed nominations? Have you had time yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
JonBen wrote:

I'm not sure prime factorization is needed to quickly get 5*8=40.

The math is not difficult, obviously, but having to work with a unit of 8 is unfamiliar and will cause most people to pause when dealing with more than a couple of 8's. That pause defeats the purpose of the change, and I think would also introduce some errors.

That's my 2*2*2*5 cents on the matter anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
grammatoncleric wrote:
JonBen wrote:

I'm not sure prime factorization is needed to quickly get 5*8=40.

To be clear, I wasn't saying that players would compute prime factors, just that the extant prime factors of 40 are such that using it as an counterexample for picking up cubes worth 8 still result in an integer quotient of cubes. Obviously you got the math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
kenchaney wrote:

Well if we're going to be pedantic aren't there 6 ways. Or does the null split not count?

Choose whatever definition or convention you please! I'm getting sad thinking of some types of 12-packs being split into groups of zero elements, so I'll go with the paradigm that makes me happy --- mmm, now I'm thinking about a baker's dozen ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Heller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Everything is easier if you just think in hexadecimal. 0 through F is the best. All you octal people need help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kheller2 wrote:
Everything is easier if you just think in hexadecimal. 0 through F is the best. All you octal people need help.

64%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kheller2 wrote:

Very true, Karl. I recall seeing a nice innovation in one of the early Tesla prototype cars at a local EV meet-up. This being Silicon Valley, they figured many buyers would like a hex charge meter. It required just a single character instead of a large analog style gauge or multi-character percentage, while giving plenty of precision for practical needs. It even started with a familiar "F" at Full Charge.

The only other thing I remember about that meet-up was two of the engineers angrily but quietly arguing about something. All I caught was "battery degradation could NOT lead to a 93% reduction in range over night!"

I never saw that type of meter again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
How did the play tires work out with these changed nominations? Have you had time yet?

Not yet. Came back from Essen yesterday, but hadn't taken the game with me.

The game sold like hot buns there, BTW. The Fryx brothers had to get new copies in every day, and those would be sold out halfway the afternoon - at least, that's what I've heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love Nilsson
Sweden
Trelleborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Whymme wrote:
The Fryx brothers had to get new copies in every day, and those would be sold out halfway the afternoon - at least, that's what I've heard.

Fryx bros sold all their copies day 1. They didn't have copies to bring in. The ones they had after day 1 were all pre-orders.

Scwherkraft brought in new copies everyday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.