Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Did you trash 1st edition leftovers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just moved all the room tiles and all plastic figures over into the second edition box. 'Lots of first edition tokens and cards left in the old box. I don't have unlimited space, so I'm just trashing everything else. Feels weird!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Did you trash 1st edition left overs?
I would have kept at least the box as a nice storage solution for future expansions.

There are also some nice wall, door and other items tokens which possibly could be used with second edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
I just moved all the room tiles and all plastic figures over into the second edition box. 'Lots of first edition tokens and cards left in the old box. I don't have unlimited space, so I'm just trashing everything else. Feels weird!

Well, to me it is a bit weird. If you see no value at all in 1st edition so that you don't even want to keep the components not useful in 2nd edition why not sell the 1st edition games and use the money to buy the 2nd edition sets rather than just trash it all. What a waste. Didn't you keep it in good enough condition to be saleable? Just can't be bothered with the hassle of selling? Is your space really at such a premium that you couldn't keep one small box with the cards and tokens in (it doesn't even have to be the original game boxes)?

Personally I also moved the tiles and miniatures to the second edition box but I have every single 1st edition card (including both boxed expansions and all but 2 of the print on demand ones) stored in the small Forbidden alchemy box. The lid doesn't quite go down neat but it fits. Everything else 1st edition not usable in 2nd, plus the large monsters, is in the 'Call of the Wild' box, but that is just because I like to keep the boxes. You could easily get all of it into a shoebox. You really have that little space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, you're giving me a lot of heat. So everyone who converted is just keeping incomplete bits/box around. I did check the 'spare parts' want list geeklist first. But yeah, personally I'm out of space; even for a rouge shoe box. I'm at the point that new games in have to equal old games out. I'm not getting the expansion because I'm using the conversion kit. And after a little self reflection I know that I'm not ever going to go back to 1st edition. You're not going to like this, but I've got a garage full of empty expansion boxes that I'm pretty sure are headed to to the bin next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept everything so that I can play as first edition with the keeper if I so desire. All leftovers were moved to one of the expansion boxes, and the first ed. box is housing almost all of the mini's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
The two editions are different enough that it's worth owning both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kept my first edition stuff but don't have any immediate plans to play it.

I keep all 2nd edition relevant materials in the 2nd edition box, as well as a few pieces from 1st edition (like the barriers that match those tiles better), with the exception of the monster figurines which I am currently keeping loose in the Call of the Wild box, need to find a better solution there (or just never bring it to a friend's house).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Exactly. I kept my 1st Ed stuff separated and just picked up copies of the 2nd Ed expansions, so I have 2 "complete" games instead of a partial one.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sell the left-overs. (sorry if you mentioned it already)

I get it. I have RPG books which I will never use again that I look at and wonder if I shouldn't just dump them. That collection hales back to the 80's.

If you cannot sell them or cannot be bothered too then a sack + bricks + a fast flowing river + dead of the night.

Wormwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of Wormwood wrote:
If you cannot sell them or cannot be bothered too then a sack + bricks + a fast flowing river + dead of the night.

Wormwood

Then when you've risked life and limb diving in to rescue it all - Burn It!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

yeah, first edition is a MUCH better game, it just has 4x the set up so 2nd tends to win out. But trashing all the 1st ed leftovers is ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been hanging on to all my Arkham Horror big boxes, even though I built a decent little storage system for the game. I still use the base game box to hold all the boards, and was intending on cutting out one side from each of the 4 big boxes and gluing them on to the base box to give me an "Ultimate" edition. It's been almost a year, and one new game already had to go on the closet floor, so they might just get recycled... But it was so hard putting the small boxes in the bin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Edition is still playable as First Edition.

If you make your own scenarios, Second Edition added a whole bunch more tiles, monsters and items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
I hope you haven't trashed it yet.

There are people who got into MoM in 2nd edition and wanted to try 1st. You could sell the leftovers to someone who got the figure/tile expansions and they would have a working 1st edition.

Thus you make money and spread gaming goodness.

Or you know, just throw it in the trash like a savage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only had the first edition main set and it was never played. With 2nd edition having no game master I purchased it and it has been a hit. I have all 1st edition bits in bags and am using the box for monster mini storage...might end up tossing the extra bits and first edition rulebook .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah tempting but no that is not my habit to throw out such large investments, I stuffed all of the 1st edition components into Descents box (since Descent is being stored in a large storage box).

Tbh though I just don't see myself ever playing it again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I envy OP's ability to not hoard things he will never use. I fully support his decision to toss it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unlikely that we'll ever see content produced for 1e recreated for 2e, so I consider hanging on to 1e so that I can still play it, should I wish to, common sense. For me anyway. I also don't have the budget (or the desire due to recent FFG CS issues) to purchase the card and figure sets for 2e so I've got two complete games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kamerbeek
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trashed most of it kept some tokens and the box for 2nd ed storage.

After second there is no going back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.