Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in buying this game, butsince this is oop and the prices are a bit inflated atm i haven't yet. in the past have games that gone oop after the initial boost in price gone back down towards closer to msrp? or does the longer time typically make them more rare and thus more expensive?

tldr: should i buy now or wait?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prices are a little high right now. I'm hoping that there are still some shipments coming from a distributor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how many are in the wild. The game was available and mildly popular for many years so I don't expect prices to stay crazy high. I expect they will come down closer to MSRP once things die down a little. The expansion is a different story though as it is in much more limited quantities so I expect it will stay much higher than MSRP.

All of that being said, you might consider taking a look at Blood Rage which is in print. The games are not totally the same, but it is the same designer. Also I think you will find many people find BR gives a similar feel in a shorter game. On top of that, the drafted asymmetry allows for more flexibility and options than the starting asymmetry of CitOW. Even if you decide to pick up Chaos, you may find that BR is a reasonable substitution to hold you over while you wait for prices to drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you are considering spending a lot of money for this anyway, consider picking up Cthulhu Wars instead. The large miniatures are certainly a draw (CitOW's are pretty small) and the gameplay is a little different, but better IMHO. CitOW's asymmetric factions get a little formulaic in that there is often an obvious choice between available upgrades that you tend to stick to after a while.

I own both and both are great games, but Cthulhu Wars is my favorite of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
BR feels to me like a pale imitation of CitOW. But then again I've played a ton of CitOW and rank it as my most favourite game. And despite that BR is pretty fun to play. So there's that.

I agree it's probably best to wait for price drops and keep an eye out for reasonably priced retailers. This wasn't a one-print wonder so I assume and hope price stays reasonable.

And yeah don't buy CitOW if it's only available at triple digit prices. It's my favourite game but that's just silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CitOW is not my favorite game, so I'm not totally biased toward it. I enjoy it and especially enjoy it more than BR, which I found swingy and not as fun as it could have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Nekku wrote:
BR feels to me like a pale imitation of CitOW.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spazz
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars was a closet feel to CITOW, but a very pale comparison. Blood Rage is very dissimilar,in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is we won't see New-in-Shrink copies come down below $100 anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look through the forums, you will see numerous comparisons between Blood Rage and Chaos with people preferring one over the other. Considering this is the Chaos forum, I am not surprised to see people expressing the preference for it. Personally I find both excellent games, but both have their pros and cons.

Chaos provides a much deeper experience due to its high level of asymmetry, but that asymmetry comes at a cost. You are largely stuck in a specific strategy for the god you end up with (the back of the rules even tells you what the strategies are). On top of that, the balance in the game requires you to play that part to keep everything in check; any deviation from the prescribed way to play that god will likely result in an easier game for one of the other gods. Additionally because of the fragile balance, the game largely falls apart when you go down to 3 (I haven't played with the expansion so I can't say for 5). The god powers also create a largely segregated map with each god focusing on areas important to their goals which leads to little interaction between certain players until the later part of the game.

Blood Rage on the other had, does not offer any asymmetry from the start, but this provides a lot of flexibility. You can essentially draft whatever strategy you want. However, this breadth of options prevents it from having the deep experience of Chaos. On the plus side though, you will be constantly interacting with all of the players, and while the game is best at 4, it still plays very well at other player counts.

As for Cthulhu Wars, I have heard it also provides Chaos feel, but I have not played it myself. However, considering it seems that the OP is looking to save money rather than spend it, it may not be the best option as a Chaos replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Beatrice
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez, the Amazon link at the top of this page currently has CITOW for £139.99. It's an excellent game (my favourite, in fact) but I definitely wouldn't pay more than £80 for it.
Hopefully you'll be able to pick up a copy from a real gamer here at the GeekMarket who won't try to scalp you.
Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Kerr
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I got really lucky on this one the other day.

Dropped into the game store near my mothers after I installed her new washer and to my happy surprise they had a used copy for $30.I grabbed it with covetous glee and proceeded to the register.

It's only missing 1 peasant token.

Here's hoping I get that lucky somehow on the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great grab! You can always proxy that missing token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Just remember that Old World tokens (ie. peasants) have a fixed quantity. If you run out you must proxy one additional and no more.

For what it's worth I rarely hit peasant cap so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polish language copies in stock for a normal price. 70euros (for core + horned rat) plus shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion is going for a lot more than the core game right now. I had my expansion listed 'For Trade' and I had no less than 2-3 trade requests or right-out purchase requests for it a day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The higher the better, I have been able to get my hands on 3 copies plus expansions since gw and ffg split....awaiting the big holiday season to help spike prices before flipping them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
The higher the better, I have been able to get my hands on 3 copies plus expansions since gw and ffg split....awaiting the big holiday season to help spike prices before flipping them

proudly boasting about gouging people that want to play a game...good on ya
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.