8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Terminology on "In Hand" vs "On the Table" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emilio van Doorn
msg tools
Hello,

I am struggling with terminology for my card game and hope you may be able to help (i do hope I have posted in the right place...).

I am in the process of placing instructions on the cards which act as a quick reference guide to the card's capabilities. In my card game there are a number of cards which have dual capabilities, depending on where they are during and at the end of play.

When a card is played (placed on the table) which activates the card, I was thinking of using the phrase "In Play". This usually has positive connotations for the player.
When the round ends and that same card is still in the player's hand, I was thinking of using "In Hand". This now represents a negative result for the player.

The issue I am having is that I have a couple of Bear Market cards which, when "In Play", have an immediate negative impact on the player whereas if that same card is "In Hand", the impact is a monetary loss (also negative).

In designing the capabilities I am hoping to standardize the terminology to either In Play or In Hand, Asset or Liability etc. Yet this will not work when it comes to the Bear Market cards.

I can for the life of me not come to a resolution and really need some help with this. Hope this all makes sense and am more than happy to discuss further.

Thank you

Emilio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From your description, it seems to be fairly straightforward. Why couldn't the rule book read something similar to the way your post was laid out? I think it's fine to have certain small exceptions to rules (definitely want to avoid too many exceptions though)

Example:
When a card is played (placed on the table) which activates the card, it is considered "In Play". This usually has positive connotations for the player (Assets).

Alternatively, When the round ends and that same card is still in the player's hand, it is considered "In Hand". This now represents a negative result for the player (Liability).

Exception: Bear Market cards when "In Play" have an immediate negative impact on the player. If that same Bear Market card is "In Hand", the impact is a monetary loss (also negative). Thus Bear Market cards are Liabilities both In Play and In Hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilio van Doorn
msg tools
Hi J,
That would work for the rule book, but struggling with the text I need to place on the cards. I want to keep the text on the cards as simple and as uniform as possible.
Maybe need to structure it like your suggestion. I'll give it a go and see what it looks like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're getting hung up on positive/negative. In play/in hand is clear enough, I just do what the card says. Whether it's positive or negative doesn't matter to me as a player, I'm going to execute the card's text regardless.

If you're worried about players getting confused then change the art of the bear card to something eye catching so the player knows "hey, this works slightly different than other cards."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry P Ness
msg tools
"in hand" and "in play" are common phrases in card games.

Since cards can do two different things depending on location, it might be made clearer if the cards had the different effects printed upside-down from each other and with different background color. I've seen other card games do this sometimes, to emphasize only one of the two things is done. And to emphasize the different-ness of the two options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilio van Doorn
msg tools
Hi Oliver Twitt,

This is the format I had for the CASH Cards and thinking about what you just said, the penny dropped....

You're absolutely right. It is inconsequential whether the consequence is positive or negative, it is just an action which needs to be performed.

Attached is an image of one of the cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smiling1 wrote:
Hi Oliver Twitt,

This is the format I had for the CASH Cards and thinking about what you just said, the penny dropped....

You're absolutely right. It is inconsequential whether the consequence is positive or negative, it is just an action which needs to be performed.

Attached is an image of one of the cards

Two things:

1) Now can you show what a Bear Market card looks like in comparison.
2) Asset is spelled wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilio van Doorn
msg tools

Sorry for the late response Keith B..

I have decided to go with Oliver Twitt's recommendation of just using 'In Play' and 'In Hand'. Keeps the instructions simple and concise and still gets the message across.

The CASH Cards will have the same headers.

Now for the final stage of having the rule book written and designed and I'm ready.

Thanks for all your help everyone. After three years, it all starts to blur a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.