Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Scott
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that Fantasy Flight Games retains the rights to the actual rules mechanics of Death Angel post-Games Workshop breakup, what are the chances of getting a re-themed release of this, without the Warhammer 40K license? Has something like this ever come up with FFG in the past, with other properties?

An "Escape from Arkham" re-theme seems like a no-brainer to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...I haven't really thought of a re-theme for this one. I love the game as it is...but...a re-theme...

Wondering (as is everyone else) if there is some kind of an application to the TI universe - perhaps setting in a space opera type setting. For example, combat groups of ships going after an objective instead of individual space marines clearing out a hulk. Seems like you'd have a ton of potential for expanding that (different scenarios, settings, etc.).

Just a thought. It seems like this is almost so purpose-built for the 40k universe that it would be a tough go, but I'm sure FF could do it if they put their minds to it.

Interesting question. I hadn't really thought of a re-theme for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That certainly seems to be their "go to" theme.

I wonder though, there were four small POD expansions for this game but not much else. Was that because the game itself wasn't doing well enough to warrant more/bigger expansions or was it because FFG could see the writing on the wall in regards to GW properties?

The Warhammer Quest universe would be a good re-theme, oh wait...

Maybe Rune Age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Scott
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
I wonder though, there were four small POD expansions for this game but not much else. Was that because the game itself wasn't doing well enough to warrant more/bigger expansions or was it because FFG could see the writing on the wall in regards to GW properties?

Anecdotally, it seems like Death Angel has a fairly healthy audience, considering how beloved it is as a solo gaming title. I imagine that the POD expansions could have made a decent retail expansion if they had all been bundled together (~93 cards), but the game is pretty complete out-of-the-box. Not sure how they'd go about expanding very far on such a tight set of mechanics...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
That certainly seems to be their "go to" theme.

It wasn't due to FFG's anticipation of GW licenses not being renewed, because there were several games released that used GW's IP after the SHA expansions (WH 40k:Conquest, Warhammer Quest, Forbidden Stars...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor araujo
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel re-theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see a Netrunner retheme. Solo runner vs corp server or the other way around a server defending runner attacks.

It would allow me to enjoy the netrunner game solo as I do t like the competitive LCG play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Victor. Especially if FFG are turning to Mutant Chronicles as their go-to dark sci-fi fantasy theme now that they've lost 40k. But yeah, that theme would fit this game particularly well, although a retheme of Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game would suit me better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
I would like to see a Netrunner retheme. Solo runner vs corp server or the other way around a server defending runner attacks.

It would allow me to enjoy the netrunner game solo as I do t like the competitive LCG play.

Liking what you're selling. That would be a cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
privateer4hire wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

Liking what you're selling. That would be a cool game.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of a Doom re-theme. I'm not sure it would be all that different, but a very cool idea, especially of you could mix in the WH cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I have become entrenched in the Runebound/Runewars setting, so a retheme in this direction for either SHDA or Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom would be the easiest retheme since the setting remains somewhat similar. I could also see something like military special forces vs. terrorists working if they wanted to get away from an IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

It's hard to know the right answer. But SH.DA has a significant number of followers, and it is still much played as well - kind of top 15 of solo games on BGG. Still, the production line was abandonned since 2014.

I think that FF abandonned it because it provides too low profit: how much can you ask for about 18 cards? Not more than 10-12$. I have no other explanations that this, since the POD production seems self-maintaining and lucrative.

As to a re-theme, there is a fanmade aliens one. But would it be possible for GW to buy back the game from FG?

By the way, some little advertising: I am developing a fanmade expansion starring the Space Wolves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Dubs
msg tools
mbmbmb
mfenici wrote:
[q="Robrob"]
I think that FF abandonned it because it provides too low profit: how much can you ask for about 18 cards? Not more than 10-12$. I have no other explanations that this, since the POD production seems self-maintaining and lucrative.

It's being discontinued because GW owns the Warhammer IP and are killing the contract they have with FFG.

Additionally, you can't copyright mechanics... Only artwork and wording... So if you wanted to make your own art and rulebook, you could duplicate SH: DA and have no worries. It's generally frowned upon to do it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody made a retheme of this using the Aliens films. That seemed a particularly good fit.

Won't happen in retail, but it's a pretty easy game to do yourself if you're that way inclined and can print cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anjovi Kulam
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
XCOM would also be a great fit for the game mechanics.

You could either simulate the final epic mission of the computer game or even possibly add a neat little campaign variant (nothing big, a 3 mission game where you chronicle some spin off side story, that did some important stuffs on the side.)

Saw the variant of 5 missions someone did, which was pretty neat. You basically had your full roster of marines that you`d replenish your ranks when they died in previous missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I answered to this thread but for some reason I didn't but yeah, I'd love something similar with XCOM theme, and they already have the license.

I say similar because I feel like the positioning/ (destructible)cover/ flanking are key mechanics in the videogames and much more difficult to abstract than the simpler Space Hulk ones.

But if they nailed it I'm sure it would become one of my favourite games.

Add in a campaign where you can upgrade your soldiers (kinda like in the DVG leader games)... one can dream, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Or retheme it as diseases. Genestealers become white blood cells. Your marines are viruses, wrecking their way through a body. All final destinations are vital organs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anjovi Kulam
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
If they could use the original XCOM art from the julian gollop game(actually is alot like the warhammer art with the way the genestealers look lol) That'd be golden! lol!

yeah some sort of campaign like that would be cool, i'd settle for some sort of little streamlined +Range/dice/etc. token to slap on them. For me, the ideal would just be ramping up the "See if Sgt. Westly Could make it from mission 1 to 3" suspense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.