3 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Skill Learning Rule and Slight Accidental Streamlining rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Mack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was bothering me awhile ago, however, it came up again recently when wondering about how snappy yet difficult some of our game sessions had been. So, I started thinking about the rule on learning skills:

A) Learn to Play, pg 10, "Trophies": "You can learn a skill before or after spending an action on your turn."

B) Rules Reference, pg 12, "Skill Cards":
"A hero can learn any number of skill cards from his or her hand before or after spending an action on his or her turn."

But then further down the first bullet reads:

"A hero can learn a skill card after resolving his or her last action, before his or her turn ends."

The thing is, my eyes were drawn to the bullet originally when checking the rules during first play and I read it in isolation. And then it became the rule. Instead of reading it as, "Also, as a reminder, you can learn at the very end of your turn," I read it thinking that end of turn was the only time you could learn skills. Oops!

Yup, my bad. <<Smacks Forehead>>

So.. I'm thinking I accidentally made the game harder than it was intended. Meaning it should be easier because: 1) Learn and apply the benefits of skills in the same turn; 2) Combo learn-train-learn-train-learn-train-learn if you were so inclined to cycle through skill card options as you buy; and 3) Mitigate some risk you'll exert a skill you might have wanted to learn (i.e. opportunity to learn/train before another action when you'll need to exert).

But it also feels like it would make it a longer game depending on the type of players. Because: 4) Greater decision making between every one of your three actions when you could potentially decide you want to learn skills.

Which means, by restricting buying to the end of the turn I might have accidentally streamlined the game a bit for us. Harder, but slightly faster. Buy skills once per turn, which only benefit you starting the next turn, and... restricts some AP behaviours as people can't continuously pause to think about whether to learn skills or keep their trophies.

So, even though I messed up applying that rule correctly, I'm thinking I might just keep using end of turn learning as a house rule... Maybe... Hmm... <<Shrug>>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's not as big an issue as you seem to think it might be. Most actions won't be affected by most of the skills you might choose to learn at a given time. So you will only consider it if the skill you are considering learning could actually affect your next action.

I really don't think we spend much time at all between actions trying to decide which skills to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MCKurick wrote:
But then further down the first bullet reads:

"A hero can learn a skill card after resolving his or her last action, before his or her turn ends."

The thing is, my eyes were drawn to the bullet originally when checking the rules during first play and I read it in isolation. And then it became the rule. Instead of reading it as, "Also, as a reminder, you can learn at the very end of your turn," I read it thinking that end of turn was the only time you could learn skills. Oops!

I had the exact same thing except I didn't figure out it meant you may learn at the end of your turn. I just assumed there was a mistake and I figured learning before or in between actions wasn't a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.