United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem like there a lot of translation errors. I am not sure how long Monolith will take to come out with version 2... Will there be a French Hero that will create an English errata from French?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sadly, translation errors were to be expected from a french company
we will see what the new version will bring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
30 km from Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning the price and the time they had, I would expect a good proof reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Simon
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Angelsenior wrote:

I thought the translation and rules modifications had been done by FFG? Am I wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
thatach wrote:
It would seem like there a lot of translation errors. I am not sure how long Monolith will take to come out with version 2... Will there be a French Hero that will create an English errata from French?

There will be no french hero, but rather a danish one
stenfisker listed the differences between the french and the english version in the scenarios:

stenfisker wrote:
Guess I kind of asked for this one...
The differences between the french and english scenario rules are very minor. The french version is generally more clear and has a bit more flavour text here and there, for instance in describing how to win in the Trapped Like Rats scenario.
Here are the ones I could find:

Hunting the Tigress:
Winning the game: + no Outer Dark Demon (omitted in french version)
Heroes: + 5 of Belit's guards (omitted in english, but on the map)
Special rules: Skuthus and Bossonian Archers cannot leap (both languages)

In the Heart of Darkness:
Heroes: + 2 of Belit's guards (omitted in english, but on the map)
Leaping from walls: + one cannot climb up the walls (omitted in english)

For all Ophir's Gold:
Leaping from walls: + one cannot climb up the walls (omitted in english)

Wrath of Anu:
Special Rules/Interrogation: no re-roll allowed, gem moved to melee (mistranslated in english to: this roll is not affected by hindering, move gem to fatigue)

Infernal Pursuit part 1:
Winning the Game: there is no limit to the amount of game-turns (somewhat vague in english)
Special rules/With me!: re-roll is allowed (omitted in english)

Infernal Pursuit part 2:
Winning the Game: there is no limit to the amount of game-turns (somewhat vague in english)
Special rules: Some of the Overlord's mentioned units cannot leap (both languages)

If someone wants to start a new thread, you have my blessings, by Crom !
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
And here are the differences between the game aids:

- Circular strike: in the french version, there is a precision regarding what weapon is two-handed: a weapon is two handed when its weight is 3 or more.
- Attack from beyond: mistake in the english version: the attack is not unarmed, but rather without any bonus from a weapon.
- Counterattack: already listed, but the counterattacker does not performed an unarmed attack, but rather an attack with a red die and no bonus from his weapons.
- Wall wrecker: in the english version, once someone broke into a wall, the 2 zones are adjacent and the wall does not block line of sight.
- Web projection: the 4 movement points needed to get rid of the web have to be spent in a single turn in the french version.
- Flying: this skill's description is very differently worded but it should mean quite the same thing I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
irishwizz wrote:
I thought the translation and rules modifications had been done by FFG? Am I wrong?
I thought the same, but according to one of their last mails, Monolith said that they felt the rules were not really beginners friendly. I do not know what happened here, because FFG in the recent releases (i.e. BL, EH or FS) has had a very good way of doing the rules. Although it seems we are doomed to wait and see, there are a couple of things that bug me about this.
Firstly, is it so hard to create a decent rules layout? I mean it took me like 5 minutes to come up with a much better layout of the rules. Given I am a sucker for rules and even helped in some cases, but still it is really not hard.
Secondly, why do the designers not ask for help? A thread on the forums or so and they would have loads of help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
Citation needed for your last point.
I have had problems with a few games: some are from American publishers, some from an english designer, and some from french companies aswell but I don't think it is a matter of nationality. Some companies seem to be better than others at writing/translating rules though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
@Shoum,
Thanks, you are too kind !
Just trying to help...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
stenfisker wrote:
@Shoum,
Thanks, you are too kind !
Just trying to help...

Awesome, I will take a Danish Hero, Since I myself am of Danish descent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Shoum wrote:
Citation needed for your last point.
I have had problems with a few games: some are from American publishers, some from an english designer, and some from french companies aswell but I don't think it is a matter of nationality. Some companies seem to be better than others at writing/translating rules though.
I hope I have not offended you. If so, my apologies. The point I was only making was that it SEEMED this way (thus asking for citation seems really pointless) and I would not want to make it a point of nationality (as this makes no sense at all). If anything, I would guess it is a thing with translations (as in most cases) and the amount of exposure to French games on my part (which is obviously very little compared to games written in English).
However, be that as it may be, I have edited the post above and deleted the sentence. No need for others to get upset about this. Thanks for pointing it out in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric
Canada
Gatineau
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

Frankly, you should avoid this kind of comments...
Overgeneralization based on a race or nationality well, is, at best, untrue, insulting and doesn't help communication. At worse, It is close to racism.
So, if you don't think you're like that my advice would be to avoid this type of comments (and be sorry?)or at leat keep them for yourself if possible.
Thanks to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Errors are inevitable in traductions in general. American gamers are used to games written in english first. French gamers are used to errors and weird translation fromm FFG and the like. But I do think that monolith should have put more effort into the english version.Proof reading french from english is not that difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

The translation was realized by an american company that Monolith hired to do this (just a small unknown company called Fantasy Flight Games ... whistle ).

Why there are still so much errors is still a real question, but it is not just a question of nationality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric
Canada
Gatineau
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Romn wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

The translation was realized by an american company that Monolith hired to do this (just a small unknown company called Fantasy Flight Games ... whistle ).

Why there are still so much errors is still a real question, but it is not just a question of nationality.

Et vive la France !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yuffie kasiragi
msg tools
Romn wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

I'd bet my money on the translator not even playing the game once, thus translating w/o really knowing what s/he should try to carry over. whistle

This or some conspiracy that FFG wanted to Sabotage this great game to hurt a potential competitor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Talaris wrote:
Romn wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

I'd bet my money on the translator not even playing the game once, thus translating w/o really knowing what s/he should try to carry over. whistle

This or some conspiracy that FFG wanted to Sabotage this great game to hurt a potential competitor

Competitor? Asmodee is the distributor Monolith is using. More likely Asmodee is waiting to see how well Conan and Mythic do and then they'll buy Monolith outright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.