North American Railways» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone able to review? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Euan D
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has any lucky recipients played this game enough that they feel happy to give a bit of a review on it?

Got it pre-ordered and was wanting an insight into how it played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I wrote about it elsewhere after one play:

North American Railways feels like it could be a Winsome game: it's a game of railroads and shares, done with fairly minimal components and in quite an unusual style.

Each turn has two steps: buying shares and buying cities. Everybody gets one turn at buying shares from a grid, so you have limited options. If you buy a share from a new company, pay any amount you want to the company treasury. If you buy a share from a company you are the president in, pay $500 to the bank and $500 to the treasury.

The funny part is when you buy from a company someone else is leading: you name a price and the president either buys the share at that price or lets you buy it. Again, half of the money to the bank, another half to the treasury. If you don't get the share, you get to pick another one.

Then companies use their money to buy cities. Cities provide income and end-game value. Each player can buy one city per company they own shares in, so if the company has enough money, having multiple share-holders is a bonus.

All in all pretty groovy little game. It'll be interesting to try and figure this one out.

---

The rules are quite simple, but the implications are interesting. I think this is a fine game, and I'm quite interested in trying it out with four or five players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also love to read what people have thought after playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Oldgeorge
Greece
Athens
Attika
flag msg tools
Et tu Gidoboskus?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it twice now, once with 5 players and once with 4. It's very easy to learn, but rather hard to master. Both plays have been very fulfilling.

Essentially, it's an auction game with a nice twist to the auctioning process as you often get the opportunity to squeeze other players for cash, before getting the stock you were actually after. I suppose that mastering the game takes a few plays as you are continually faced with hard choices: buy cheap and the company won't have enough cash to connect to profitable cities, buy expensive and while the company will be flush with cash you won't be able to hold it against the other players or expand your portfolio enough to soar in the final scoring.

All in all, nice little gem, especially if you can't get your 18XX fix on a regular basis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmb
Played it 4-5 times now depending on whether you count a solo play through ton check I had the rules down. Will try to get round to doing a review over the next couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benme wrote:
Played it 4-5 times now depending on whether you count a solo play through ton check I had the rules down. Will try to get round to doing a review over the next couple of days.

How about a single sentence review in the meantime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben posted his review two days ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.