Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Guilds of London» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ties for second place...are masters on orthogonal tiles considered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules say "if there is a tie for first, each player adds 1 to their total for each orthogonallay adjacent tile with their master pawn on it..."

Later when discussing rewards, rules say "in the event of a tie for second, no one gains anything..." There is no rule to check orthogonal tiles as additional tiebreaker. This seems weird to me.

Is it implied that the orthogonal masters should also be considered to break ties for second place before applying the rewards rule??

Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, while on subject of rules interpretation, has there been clarification on if 'move pawns' icons for special actions and/or tile rewards are to be interpreted literally? i.e. Cannot use to move a master unless robe pawn icon is included on card/tile. This is my assumption with rule on page 6 only referring to move action 'B', but the inconsistency many have highlighted still has me confused. I've spent the last 30 minutes on forums and am still not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of your questions are grey areas. I will attempt an answer and hope Tony chimes in.

As for ties for second, the rules seem to say there are no ties for second. Master pawns only are considered in ties for first. The only exception I can see in this is if you control the Gog and Magog special building. That building gives you the ability to trump the normal tiebreak rule. However, it does not say whether this ability applies to second place. I am inclined to say no.

As for being able to move master pawns: the rules explicitly say that when you play a card in order to move a pawn to a guild or special building, you may move a master pawn or a liveryman. But the special actions on cards differentiate between liverymen and master pawns, so it seems the special actions applying to movement are specific to pawns and master pawns.

But I, too, would like clarification on these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

1) there is no tie break for 2nd place i.e. No second place is awarded if there is a tie for second.

2) a master is also a liveryman (but NOT vice versa)

Sorry for being brief...about to drive to Spiel! Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
Hi!

1) there is no tie break for 2nd place i.e. No second place is awarded if there is a tie for second.

2) a master is also a liveryman (but NOT vice versa)

Sorry for being brief...about to drive to Spiel! Woot!

I can see clearly now the rain is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying. Nice to be able to confirm iconography for movement on all tiles (and cards 98 and 102) is redundant i.e. the master icons could(should?) have been be eliminated.

Have a fun and successful Spiel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.