Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw some tidbits here and there referring to playing Mage Knight online. Of course I got all hot and bothered and googled it up.

Seems Steam have a thing called Tabletop Simulator and also there's something else called Vassel.

Is there any other options?

Assuming no, which is better - TTS or V? How does it work? I have the impression that those just provide you graphics and you have to drag and drop to show other players where you are. Kind of like playing by mail/email/forum/whatever?

Are those solo only or can I play with others? Can we pause in middle of a game and come back later if needed? Do we need a physical board next to us to help keep track of how things are going?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Vassal.

To play with others by email you start a "log", play your turn, end the log, and send it to the other players. To play with others in realtime, you play on a server and save the game whenever you like. Vassal logs can be a bit buggy when shuffling occurs, but saves are bug-free - for that reason I usually send a log and a save when my turn involves shuffling.

No other software or physical pieces required.

Yes, the bulk of your turns will be drag and drop - to move your character, to place and flip tokens, to play a card from your hand, etc. Clean-up, setup and round end book-keeping are automated though, which eliminates a lot of busywork and, importantly, means that every move in a log is of some interest to your opponents. Seeing that your opponent played a card or revealed a token is relevant, but watching them move cards to their discard pile one-by-one wouldn't be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, vassal is the way to go.

The best things are that you can play solo on a plane or train and using play by email you can play 4 player games without any painful downtime. Also no setup or teardown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
The best things are that you can play solo on a plane or train

You do need a pretty big screen for the MK module though, and Vassal v3 requires Java JRE (i.e., an OS like Linux, Mac OS X, or Windows), so not an option for most phones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
philmcd wrote:
The best things are that you can play solo on a plane or train

You do need a pretty big screen for the MK module though, and Vassal v3 requires Java JRE (i.e., an OS like Linux, Mac OS X, or Windows), so not an option for most phones.

It would never occur to me to try and use a phone. I use a laptop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
It would never occur to me to try and use a phone. I use a laptop.

I'm with you. I have four computers and an Android emulator but no smartphone. It does seem to be the default way for most people to play on the move though, so I figured it was worth a mention in a thread for people who have never tried the MK Vassal module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Vassal because:

1) The ability to set the ram allotment higher. This shines through when loading in a game like Talisman 3rd edition with all expansions active.

2) Use combined application window (requires restart of Vassal) This is huge because you can break off and re size various windows allowing you to decide how big each window needs to be. If you have dual monitors you can drag them to the second screen.

3) Vassal 3.2.16 requires Java Runtime Envionment (JRE) 5 or later. This can be critical IF a new version of Java causes issues with Vassal, you can always go back to a previous Java version.

4) I have MK running in Vassal, windows resized to how I want them and have Ricky Royal's videos (I d/l them all from Youtube) playing so I can follow along when learning. If needed I can have either my physical game manual beside me, or the pdf version loaded as well for quick reference. All on a laptop with 2 gig of ram (yes, I need to upgrade but just got back to work after long unemployment).

5) I also find that the Vassal community at Vassal.org is extremely helpful, wherein new updates are constantly being made available to the community. Their support is second to none.

Tabletop Simulator requires 4 gig of ram minimum, so if you have an older system it can cause some performance issues.

Hope that helps,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sprague
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems like alot of people in this thread dont like tabletop simulator... I am not very good with the interface of vassal so for me I prefer Tabletop Simulator. It will not hold your hand or hold you back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirrine wrote:
Seems like alot of people in this thread dont like tabletop simulator... I am not very good with the interface of vassal so for me I prefer Tabletop Simulator. It will not hold your hand or hold you back.

I haven't experienced either so can you clarify on what you mean re: the boldened part above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what he means by hold you back, but the Vassal mod "holds your hand" by automating some of the tasks like:

Monastery offer fully automated and drawn at same time as unit offer.
Gold/Black re-roll automated.
Tactic location added to Dummy board.
One click tactic selection.
Highly automated set-up, turn-end and round-end options that cover all official scenarios and variants.

To me the most critical thing the updates on the Vassal mod state is:
Limited automation during play to minimise dragging-and-dropping, so you can focus on the game rather than the interface.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.