$20.00
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know much about laying out maps for PBF games, but it seems to me that floating systems would really complicate forum-based games of Ascendancy? Am I correct in this assumption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
I don't know much about laying out maps for PBF games, but it seems to me that floating systems would really complicate forum-based games of Ascendancy? Am I correct in this assumption?

im not an expert in pbf games but I feel it would be quite difficult

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
How about if all space lanes are the same length, and lanes out of each system must be at 90 or 180 degree angles? Then it neatly will fit a grid.

Alternatively you could use 120 degree angles, to make a triangular grid instead of a square one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kaid100 wrote:
How about if all space lanes are the same length, and lanes out of each system must be at 90 or 180 degree angles? Then it neatly will fit a grid.

Alternatively you could use 120 degree angles, to make a triangular grid instead of a square one.

That would make the game so drastically altered as to be practically unrecognizable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe so. It is not a fix map so you just can't say I move all armies from Western Europe to Iceland. You will need Table Top Simulator or something similar at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can see a way to make it work.

When I played Rex: Final Days of an Empire and A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) via PBF, we had an editable image.

Rex was in Google Docs somehow, I'm not sure how it was set up.
AGoT went through several iterations, but the one I'm thinking of I think may have been on imgur? I'm not sure, I'd have to look.

But anyways, basically a shared editable image document with image layers would make this practical. A bit challenging, and you may have to police each other to make sure placement is legal (is that space lane technically connecting or not, could you have swung that planet out or would you have had to 'lift' it off the table to avoid intersecting with another planet, etc.). It would be a decent amount of work to set up, but doable.

I think StarCraft: The Board Game had the same thing set up for PBF.

I would definitely play PBF if this could happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.