$30.00
Ike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only played this once before and somehow don't remember having so much trouble understanding what this meant, but, on Hunter Event Cards:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2736211/fury-dracula-third-e...

What does "Search a Location" mean?

Specifically, "Dracula must reveal that city's location card."

Does this mean the Hunters can just name any city? If so:
- If the location card is still in my location deck, do I just show them that?
- If they name a city that I have put down but haven't flipped up yet, do I flip it up? Do I just flip the location card up, or also any encounter that's on there? If the encounter is flipped up, does it have any effect, or is it just discarded immediately?

My friend argued that thematically it's like you are sending someone to thoroughly investigate that location and root out whatever is there, which is why you would flip both things.

And somehow skimming the rules again to try to figure it out just led to more confusion as the terminology is somewhat ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means you name a city and if Dracula has that card out, he reveals it, but the encounter is not revealed. You have to go there to see what the encounter is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do exactly what it says on the event card, no more and no less. Reveal "that city's location card". Not the hideout, not the lair, but specifically the location card. If it's in your deck, show it to the players and then put it back in the deck. If it's on a hideout/lair space, flip it (and only it) over.

The wording is pretty clear in this case - there is no mention of revealing any corresponding encounter cards, so don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perfect! Thanks so much to you both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
birdman37 wrote:
The wording is pretty clear in this case - there is no mention of revealing any corresponding encounter cards, so don't.

I think to be fair, the confusion arises because it uses the word 'Search'. And in a 'Search action' the players reveal the encounter cards. The instructions are clear but the word 'search' has another specific use in the game.

I can see why this would confuse some people. 'Search a Location' could be interpreted to mean they get a search action in that location.

I do agree this isn't what they meant, and the instruction itself is clear. But I think confusion is understandable as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
birdman37 wrote:

I think to be fair, the confusion arises because it uses the word 'Search'. And in a 'Search action' the players reveal the encounter cards. The instructions are clear but the word 'search' has another specific use in the game.

I can see why this would confuse some people. 'Search a Location' could be interpreted to mean they get a search action in that location.

I do agree this isn't what they meant, and the instruction itself is clear. But I think confusion is understandable as well.

You are exactly right. The rules are extremely careless about their use of "key words" -- one's have have specific meaning within the rules context, but then at other times are used in their "non-game" meaning.

In this case, "Examine" or "Explore" or "Investigate" "... a Location" would all have been better choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Reference, p2 wrote:
If the rules text of a card or game component contradicts information from the Rules Reference, the component specific rules text takes precedence.

OK, now I'm just trolling.

I do agree that a synonym of "Search" would have been a good idea on these sorts of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
birdman37 wrote:
Rules Reference, p2 wrote:
If the rules text of a card or game component contradicts information from the Rules Reference, the component specific rules text takes precedence.

Nice try, but it says on the card to Search a Location. Which could be considered part of the rules with the second part an additional features.

But I know you're not being serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.