Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garret Trezona
United States
Cutler Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

I just picked up Descent base game along with two expansions in a trade. This will be my first time ever playing the game. I've watched a ton of how to play videos on it and I am reading through the rule books now.

Playing with the app, does the app act as the Overlord? If so,that means we can play with the 4 of us as heroes against the Overlord app?

Also, with everyone that has used the app. Would you say its better to play with the app? Or to follow along with the quest guides from the quest books?.

Thanks in advance for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Yes the app is coop. The game is a bit different because of this, 'better' is subjective. Note that the campaigns/quests in the boxes are not used in the app, it has it's own campaigns.

The app also has it's own rule book (downloadable) which assumes knowledge of the standard game type, so if you aren't great at reading/understanding lots of rules it might be best to play without the app first to understand how things work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Garret123 wrote:

Playing with the app, does the app act as the Overlord?

Yes, and the intro scenario will walk you through how to play.

Garret123 wrote:

If so,that means we can play with the 4 of us as heroes against the Overlord app?

Yes.

Garret123 wrote:

Also, with everyone that has used the app. Would you say its better to play with the app? Or to follow along with the quest guides from the quest books?.

I like playing against an overlord better. Unless there's just two of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
My group likes both. The app lets all 4 of us play on the same side. It also has fun random things that the overlord can't do (especially travel events). The regular campaigns have more meat to them, and a human overlord will just have better strategies than an app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
While the app has a tutorial it's mandatory to read the Road to Legend's rulebook before playing.

Other differences between the app cooperative play and the overlord-based original play:
- The app interleaved turns (hero - monster group - hero - monster group - ..., a la Imperial Assault) force you to change your tactics.
- Most of the information about a quest is hidden at the beginning: you discover new areas, events and flavor as you explore the dungeon.
- The app hidden peril system forces you to push forward: slacking off to much for carefully searching, resting and healing leads to an ever-increasing punishment in later rounds.
- The app manages hero knock-outs with a morale system: be KO'ed to much and the morale drops to the point you are forced to flee the quest (losing it).
- The app manages and records all the party's gold. You sell items at the price you bought them (not half that value), so you can buy equipment lightheartedly.
- The app implements a reputation system that has consequences on some aspects of the campaign (probability of finding good items in the shop is the one I am aware of).
- Many travel events and in-quest events have an outcome that may depend on your specific hero or class. In many cases an attribute test is required, or a decision among different choices must be taken, but the outcome in often unknown before you pass or fail the test or make that decision. (An element of surprise you don't have in the overlord-based campaign).
- The app campaign phase is measured in weeks (sort of campaign turns). You usually have 3 weeks between a main quest and the next. During that time you may decide to spend 1 week to travel to a city (for shopping and replenishing morale), training (to gain XP at the cost of gold and time), or attempt side quests that pop up on the map. The careful management of these turns is another interesting aspect of the new system.
- The Kindred Fire campaign implements 2 difficulty levels (normal and hard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Trezona
United States
Cutler Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you for the detailed reply. I think I will try it out with the app first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Trezona
United States
Cutler Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks! I think I am going to try the app out first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.