6 Posts

Concordia: Gallia / Corsica» Forums » General

Subject: Corsican Provinces? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Corsican colleague (who is not a gamer), and I was going to show him an image of the Corsica map, if only to demonstrate that someone outside Corsica knows the names of some (2000-year old) Corsican cities.

I figured that he might ask about all the game-related stuff on the map, and I realized that that might include the colored map regions (called "provinces" in other versions of Concordia).

A little investigation revealed that the Corsica expansion is the only one in which the "provinces" are not named on the board (or in the rules).

Does anyone know whether the colored subdivisions on the Corsica map correspond to any kind of political entities (in Roman or other times)?

I find it a little disappointing that they're not identified. I feel like it diminishes the theme somewhat, especially since this is a place whose details may be unfamiliar to many players.

(I use the term "provinces" in quotation marks because I believe that, in Roman times, Corsica and Sardinia collectively made up a single Roman province.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that in all Concordia maps all the "provinces" names actually corresponded to real roman provinces (because of gameplay reasons). I highly doubt that Romans would have made several provinces out of Corsica, and they usually were not systematic in the local management at the sub-provincial level. I guess you could see the "provinces" as areas of influence of the cities, but really I bet they exist mostly for gameplay reasons.

I for one would already be satisfied that the cities names are correct, for the rest the map should support a great gameplay. Nothing that will hurt your friend's feelings

This being said, I had the feeling that the Hispania provinces were reasonably correct, but did not verify it and would not vouch for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it would have been nice to name them, whether they corresponded to actual political entities or just colloquial names for the areas. Not only for some thematic solidity, but also because it gives players a way to refer to them during play (rather than saying, "I'm going to build in the cloth city in the yellow province").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PD-Verlag
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
18 of the 21 cities from the Corsica board are historical.

I recommend a look into the Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire

http://dare.ht.lu.se/places/16893.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From where came the other three (Castellum, Montanus, Vicus)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
From where came the other three (Castellum, Montanus, Vicus)?

Web search for "castellum corsica" reveals a plausible explanation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistory_of_Corsica
Castellu di Luri, Roman castellum occupied 3rd century BC - 1st century AD
(Of course the Latin word "castellum" means a fortified stronghold or castle.)

Web search for "montanus corsica" reveals an amusing tangent:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsican_brook_salamander
The Corsican brook salamander or Corsican mountain newt (Euproctus montanus) is a species of salamander in the Salamandridae family. It is endemic to Corsica, an island in the Mediterranean Sea.

(Unsurprisingly, the Latin word "montanus" means mountainous.)

Web search for "vicus corsica" gives me nothing much.
However, one meaning of the Latin word "vicus" is simply "village", so maybe it is simply a generic place name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.