John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Together with Belladan Kind and Kai-Lun, Thedric Egen is one of the easiest hero to be played with and highly recommended as a starting hero when introducing this game to a new player.

Strengths
1. Potential to spam Units on the board via New Recruits, Heavy Reinforcements, and Knight of Renown.
2. Ability to put augment counters on Units to increase the Attack power and Health value via Advanced Training and Knight of Renowned
3. Have armor to protect against battle damage.
4. Have the effects that can increase the Attack power of selected Units via Lance of Dominion and Styrka Momentum.
5. Have inherent ability to refresh units after attacking via Adamantine Platemail.
6. Flanking Maneuver is a very useful ability. You can first send your units to attack and if they are almost dead, use Flanking Maneuver to target certain opposing Units. Or alternatively, it is possible to use Flanking maneuver first prior to attacking by targeting non-exhausted unit in order to clear the path to attack the Hero.
7. Relatively cheap Level 4 ability that is useful to win the game.

Weaknesses
1. No ability to deal direct damage to the opposing Hero other than Arm the Catapult which is quite costly to unlock.
2. Unlike Vibeka, Janus V and Nalissa, Thedric has no inherent ability to control the opponent's tempo such as through exhausting or taking control of opposing units or hindering another player's economic generation or accumulation.
3. No inherent ability to heal.

Level of Difficulty: 1 (1 being the easiest and 5 being most difficult)

Comment:
STARTING ARMOR AND WEAPON
When starting the game, I will personally equipped Thedric with Styrka Mandatum in order to leverage on the weapon's 3 Attack power. Once I have 3 or more units on the board, I will switch the weapon to Lance of Dominion to give two my attacking Units +1 Attack power each.

For armor, have Thedric wear the Adamantine Platemail. Although it is unlikely Thedric can use the platemail's effect, what I want to do is to capitalize on the Armor value of 2 to cancel 2 battle damage.

I am not so much of a fan of Crimson Shield but it that is to be used, it must be used in conjunction with Styrka Mandatum. The reason I do not favor the Crimson shield is that it may cause players to focus on playing too defensively which can lead to turtling when the objective (in my opinion) is to be able to mount series of attack in one turn or over series of turns. As such, those effects that can help increase attack power while attacking and refreshing the Units after they have been exhausted to attack will be more useful.

Nevertheless, the synergy resulted from Crimson Shield and Styrka Mandatum can be quite potent if the opposing character choose to attack Thedric if he wishes to kill off certain units that the opposing Hero send for the offensive. Having an additional +1 to the attack value and being able to assign 2 Units to simultaneously defend will most likely be able to destroy an opposing units.

My qualm of using the above tactic is that I would most likely have exhausted my units to attack unless I use Adamantine Platemail rather than Crimson Shield. As such, it is unlikely I would want to send 2 of my own units to merely defend against 1 attacking enemy unit as I may prefer to assign 1 defender to each attacker. Therefore, due to my above reasoning, I have less than a favorable impression of Crimson Shield. However, I can be wrong in my assessment as I have not had a frequent enough matches playing with or against Thedric. So players have to use their own judgement which Armor and Weapon to used based on their board state.

GETTING YOUR MILITIA OUT
Often my first turn will be put down some other basic units and only until the second turn will I unlock or trigger New Recruits to give myself two Militia Recruits. However, I would not use them to attack or defend until I have activated Advanced Training to give the two New Militia Recruits an augment tokens each.

Subsequently, in the third turn, send the Militia Recruits to attack and use Lance of Dominion to boost their Attack power. This will effectively give you 2 units of 4/3 stat. With 4 attack power, opposing units with 4 health value will most likely be destroyed and this may discourage your opponent to use them for defence (unless they mind they exchange which can be unlikely).

USING ARM THE CATAPULT
Arm the Catapult should be used whenever Thedric have excess coin to put into play 2 or more units in addition to the Soldier unit that come after this ability is triggered. By doing this, Arm the Catapult can significantly provide a total 6 direct damage to target enemy unit or units.

However, for the cost the unlock this, I may most likely choose to play a Elite Unit card and with a long delay. Also the total costs to achieve the above feats can amount from 22 to 24 provided if you only play cost 3 to 4 Basic Units.

CONQUERING CHARGE
This is like an end game ability to push you for the win once you have a significant number of units on the board. Send them all out to attack with Lance of Dominion and Adamantine Platemail, your opponent will most likely be forced to commit defenders but will have to see them be massacred under the overwhelming attack of your own forces. If not, the high attack value from the increase granted by Conquering Charge will most likely slaughter the Hero if the unit's attack goes through. Come to think of it, if you are going to win using Conquering Charge, then the effect of Adamantine Platemail to refresh your Units after attacking seems insignificant already.

Nevertheless, this may not be useful against Hakor Dajat, the Necromancer, as he does not mind his Basic Unit dying as this will give him Skeleton units.

UNLOCKING ABILITIES
In terms of priority, I will work to unlock the following:
1. New Recruits (LVL 1)
2. Advanced Training (LVL 1)
3. Heavy Reinforcement (LVL 2)
4. Knight of Renown (LVL 3)
5. Conquering Charge (LVL 4) for the win

Low Priority Ability
6. Flanking Maneuvers (LVL 2) depends on situation
7. Arm the Catapults (LVL 3); may most likely save and use the Gold coin to play more Basic Units or to play an Elite Unit

COMPLEMENTARY UNITS
Following are some of the units which I find to be most complementary to Thedric.

Battle-Hardened Monk - Works well when Thedric activates Advanced Training and Knight of Renown which can effectively give his target unit 2 augment tokens instead of 1.

Reserve Force Captain - Enable Thedric to further leverage on his spam potential by bring in a Militia Recruit and capitalize on the effects of his weapons and armors as well as Conquering Charge

Battlefield Commander (Elite Unit) - Act very much like the Reserve Force Caption but bring with him two Militia Recruit with an augment on each of them. Also, he has the ability to move the augment counter from unit to another once per turn when required.

Flagbearer - With so many units on the board, the effect of the Flagbearer can be optimized by giving each attacking unit an increase of +1 attack. But with 4 Health value, it is unlikely that Flagbearer can sustain on the board unless he is given an augment token or more to increase his Health value.

Order of Salekinae
- This unit will become a bane to opposing Hero when Thedric has a number of Units on board, the effect of Order of Salekinae not only works during Thedric's turn but also during the opponent's turn. This can make Thedric's unit be more resilient. In addition, Order of Salekinae in Thedric game may not have to be used for attacking and defending to gain the effect so it can stay away from battle. With 6 Health value, it will not be an easy feat for opponent to deal with it unless it has ability or some other card effect that can take control of it or destroy it such as via The Dead Knight's Death Touch and Death Grip, The Vampire's Convert the Weak, The Necromancer's Wasting Disease and Syphon Life, and The Ranger's Piercing Shot and Arrow Storm.

INTERESETING MATCH-UP

Thedric Egen vs Hakor Dajat
Both of these Hero has the potential to spam units. It will be interesting to see which of these two can achieve board superiority.

Thedric Egen vs Ansatsu
Ansatsu is another hero with the potential to spam. It will not be easy for Thedric to deal with him as his Ninja Initiate and when Ansatsu is equipped with Shinobi Shozoku will make both Ansatsu and his special unit immune to the first target at them. As such, they will have not fear of Arm the Catapult.

In addition, if Ansatsu wishes, he can use Kusarigama to exhaust Thedric's Lance of Dominion, rendering the latter's weapon unusable and therefore unable to give any boosting effect to his attacking units.

Also, this match-up will require some additional thinking on Thedric's part as he has to contend with Ansatsu's ability to enlists Units during reaction phase. This means Ansatsu can either play his Units during Theidric turn to effective put into play a "surprise" defender (more like an Ambush). Or to play his Units before Thedric ends his turn for Ansatsu to set up his Units to attack when his turn comes.

Adamantine Platemail looks necessary to enable Thedric to have units refreshed after attacking so they will be able to defend him. Perhaps, this is a match-up where Styrka Mandatus can be more useful due to this weapon's passive effect if Ansatsu chooses to use Kusarigama.

Thedric Egen vs Alena Bellamy
This match-up will see a lot of mind games played against each other. Thedric will constantly have to guess which Trap Alena will put into play and Alena will have go guess how many Units Thedric will send to attack. With Alena's traps, it becomes dangerous for Thedric to send three or more units to attack (unless he thinks that she thinks that he will not send so many units for attacking because of the threat of Caltrops).

In such situation, the use of Adamantine Platemail and Lance of Dominion may not be so useful because of the risk of attacking with attacking with 3 or more units. However, these Armor and Weapons can still be played in order to make Alena think that Thedric will most likely send a high number of unit for attacking but in practice, Thedric will send lesser number than 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Dosher
msg tools
The last Match up was the best one I have seen in the countless games we have played. It was a sworn enemy match with me being the druid, and my two friends being the Commander and the Ranger. My friend who was playing the Ranger was able to accurately guess each time what the commander was going to throw at him. It was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while!

Another good write up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
I would rate Flanking Maneuver highly. Unless I'm playing it wrongly, I'm able to select any amount of units to duel with any amount of my opponent's units right? Except I can't select my unit twice. With this I could potentially wipe out my opponent's forces and then initiate an attack after this. It was crazy powerful, unless we were playing it wrongly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xerial wrote:
I would rate Flanking Maneuver highly. Unless I'm playing it wrongly, I'm able to select any amount of units to duel with any amount of my opponent's units right? Except I can't select my unit twice. With this I could potentially wipe out my opponent's forces and then initiate an attack after this. It was crazy powerful, unless we were playing it wrongly.

That will depend on what units you have on the board and which units you are targeting taking into consideration whether your units will be destroyed by the target enemy units. It does provide the opportunity to determine who your targets are and which unit you want to send to face them which you cannot do when you initiate an attack. This ability can be good if your opponent is 'hiding' an important unit at the back such as the wagon thingie (sorry I don't have the card with me) which can give you gold, card draw, and healing if I am not mistaken. Or the Beguiling Prince which require to be exhausted to put into play a basic unit card from the draw deck for free and then have that unit destroyed at the end of the turn.

However, Flanking Maneuver works well if you have a number of units on the board and preferably there are buffed with augment tokens which will be slow to build. But if you are killing each other one to one, it may not necessary be worth paying for and I rather save my Gold for the other abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
It does give your opponent a surprise though, as taking out most if not all of the defenders before the fight, then attacking with all your units with no defenders, may just win the game in 1 go, or heavily wound your opponent. This ability can always be bought later in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xerial wrote:
It does give your opponent a surprise though, as taking out most if not all of the defenders before the fight, then attacking with all your units with no defenders, may just win the game in 1 go, or heavily wound your opponent. This ability can always be bought later in the game

Perhaps my experience is different and it will depend on the match-up. For example, you will not know who to target when playing against Ansatsu because he can just simply surprise you by enlisting units as a reaction maneuver. Also, you may want to try out a match-up with Hakor Dajat, as when you kill his non-skeletal and zombie units, he can get a skeleton units on board.

BTW, just would like to check. Did your own units also take damage when you use flanking maneuver? Because I was thinking that you probably can only take down 1 or 2 defenders but have to ensure that not too many of your own units get destroyed in the process. Though if you did successfully eliminate the opponent units, it does enable you to attack the your opponent's hero when less of the opposing units are on board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
Yeap you're right, facing those 2 will be quite a different story. Some died to take out powerful ones, but majority wasn't, just heavily wounded. Then the window was open.

I've also got the end of the stick when my key units was taken out by my opponent using this ability, it was painful.

It his his third tier abilities that I find lackluster... Though my opponent did do a very good arm the catapult on me, cost me the game I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.