$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Las Vegas: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How Does This Work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love regular Las Vegas and the expansion, but I am really curious as to how this game works without dice.

Does anyone know any details of how this one works?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

And can it be integrated with the dice game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
The description clearly indicates this is an expansion:

Las Vegas: The Card Game includes 26 cards that serve as a second expansion for the dice game Las Vegas.

Though as people note below, it seems to be more than just these cards. So not that clear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karlfast wrote:
The description clearly indicates this is an expansion:

Las Vegas: The Card Game includes 26 cards that serve as a second expansion for the dice game Las Vegas.


I don't think that's clear at all. The game "includes 26 cards." Is that all that comes in the box, or are those 26 cards in addition to a larger stand-alone game? Also, the 26 cards serve as an expansion, but do they also serve a function in the (presumably) stand-alone "Card Game" of the title?

Even the BGG listing categorizes this as a "reimplimentation," not an expansion. It's very vague to me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I must have read this wrong the first time or read different copy on another site because somewhere I could have sworn that I read that this was a standalone game but there were 26 additional cards as an expansion sort of like what Broom Service the Card Game did where there is the card game but new cards for the original board game.

I'll likely buy it regardless, but it seems like a terrible idea to simply refer to an expansion as Las Vegas: The Card Game considering what people have seen Alea do with both Castles of Burgundy and Broom Service in making the "Card Game" version of both of those.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I did some more digging, and it appears the package includes 214 playing cards plus 26 more cards that are the second expansion for Las Vegas.

I am kind of hoping that maybe someone will talk to Alea at Essen and post a video or something. Original Las Vegas is one of our favorite games to bring out with non-gamer friends, and this might be more portable which could be a good thing.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Alexx9811 wrote:
So I did some more digging, and it appears the package includes 214 playing cards plus 26 more cards that are the second expansion for Las Vegas.


Well that sounds promising. An expansion of just 26 cards doesn't sound all that interesting. But an expansion and a standalone card game does sound interesting. Thanks for digging that up and clarifying.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sure thing!

One of things I am curious about in regard to the mini-expansion is whether they'll just be more money cards, or will there be some kind of interesting new cards with actions or something?

Honestly, I just literally have no idea what to expect from this package as a whole, but I am super excited to find out!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
My Secret Santa is the best!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the German rules (with help from Google Translate). As in the dice game, there's six casinos, and each casino get two bills. But instead of throwing dice, each player have a deck of 30 cards showing the different die faces. Each round you draw a hand of 5 cards, and everyone simultaneously select 1-2 cards (or more, but then they must all be the same, for example three 2s) and put these next to the casinos. Then you discard the rest of your hand, and draw 5 new cards. Continue until you run out of cards (after 6 rounds) or when everyone have placed at least 8 dice cards on the casinos. Then hand out the money as in the dice game.

Included with the game is 25 "Jeton" cards that can be used with the dice game. The rules for this is on a separate card. There was a picture of this card in the pdf, but the resolution was so low that it was not possible to read, so I have no idea how this will work.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks for sharing that.

I read a translation as well, and at first I wasn't sure what the benefit of this would be over the original, but Rudiger Dorn explained in another thread what he liked about the new version, and his points were really interesting.

Mainly, he emphasized that with a set deck and the selection process that it allows for more tactical play that is not as completely luck dependent which I thought was interesting. The simultaneous selection sounded cool as well because it leads to less downtime.

I wavered momentarily, but I am fully back on board with this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexx9811 wrote:
Excellent, thanks for sharing that.

I read a translation as well, and at first I wasn't sure what the benefit of this would be over the original, but Rudiger Dorn explained in another thread what he liked about the new version, and his points were really interesting.

Mainly, he emphasized that with a set deck and the selection process that it allows for more tactical play that is not as completely luck dependent which I thought was interesting. The simultaneous selection sounded cool as well because it leads to less downtime.

I wavered momentarily, but I am fully back on board with this.


If you were to get only one, would you recommend someone wait on this card game or buy the dice game? Would this card game replace the dice game for you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Alexx9811 wrote:
Excellent, thanks for sharing that.

I read a translation as well, and at first I wasn't sure what the benefit of this would be over the original, but Rudiger Dorn explained in another thread what he liked about the new version, and his points were really interesting.

Mainly, he emphasized that with a set deck and the selection process that it allows for more tactical play that is not as completely luck dependent which I thought was interesting. The simultaneous selection sounded cool as well because it leads to less downtime.

I wavered momentarily, but I am fully back on board with this.


If you were to get only one, would you recommend someone wait on this card game or buy the dice game? Would this card game replace the dice game for you?


Ooh, that's tough. I haven't played the card game yet, but I can see the merits of both. That said, I don't know that I'd ever get rid of the dice game.

The dice game has a specific thrill in that dice are unpredictable and there are a lot of "I can't believe that just happened!" moments that are really cool and memorable. It's extremely easy to teach anyone who has ever played a dice game like Yahtzee or Roll For It! but it's also more interesting.

It appears pluses for the card game would be less downtime, more portability, and more tactical play. I would say if you like dice games, go ahead and get it. I think the card game will be good for us in that it will give us a slightly faster, different flavor of Las Vegas that's easier to take with us to the pub or the coffee shop.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Chetil wrote:
I read the German rules (with help from Google Translate). As in the dice game, there's six casinos, and each casino get two bills. But instead of throwing dice, each player have a deck of 30 cards showing the different die faces. Each round you draw a hand of 5 cards, and everyone simultaneously select 1-2 cards (or more, but then they must all be the same, for example three 2s) and put these next to the casinos. Then you discard the rest of your hand, and draw 5 new cards. Continue until you run out of cards (after 6 rounds) or when everyone have placed at least 8 dice cards on the casinos. Then hand out the money as in the dice game.

Included with the game is 25 "Jeton" cards that can be used with the dice game. The rules for this is on a separate card. There was a picture of this card in the pdf, but the resolution was so low that it was not possible to read, so I have no idea how this will work.

From the author in another thread:
Quote:
Hello,

for everyone who is curious of the expansion no. 2 for the dice game:

there are 25 chip cards (5 colours a 5 times), which you shuffle at the beginning of the game.

you put one of them (face down) next to each casino at the beginning of each round.

If a player places at least two dice next to the casino, the player takes one of the chip cards from the respective casino.

At the end of the game, you earn extra money.
for 1/2/3/4/5 chip cards in one colour you get 10.000/30.000/60.000/100.000/150.000 dollars.

ok?

Rüdiger
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.