Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: EIGHTY DOLLARS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw the add on big, is this worth the price?! I've heard great things but, wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say whether the game is worth the money. Fortunately, that isn't really the appropriate question.

80 dollars is the amount being asked for, and assumably the amount being paid. I believe, it's more that was asked for the Kickstarter, but that ship has sailed. Frankly, it's kind of fortunate that the game is being sold at all. Some of their kickstarted stuff like Darkest Night (second edition) won't see the marketplace.

TLDR; Don't like the price, don't buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously, VPG products were overpriced, poorly produced, but great games.

Now VPG products are overpriced, well produced, but great games.

Maybe in a few more years...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game content is a lot, plus there's plan for future expansion.
There are bunch of gameplay video out there. They should help you decide if worth your money or not.
Hope this helps meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it has definitely been worth the cost. I've bought the first edition, given it away as a gift and bought a new copy, bought the second edition plus expansion, and bought the 3rd edition.

To me it has been worth it all and it's my favorite solo game.

I of course can't say whether it'll be worth it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
In total I spent 130€ on it, so stop whining. Even though I already owned 2nd Edition. Yes, it is worth it.
(Just for example I never have to buy anything Zombicide)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
Spain
flag msg tools
It is absolutely worth it if you are interested in this type of game.

One can see all the work and polish put into the game and it feels like a labor of love. I don't think you'll find anything quite like it anywhere else.

It is also one of my all time solo favorites and it has a permanent seat in my collection.

I think VPG should be rewarded with their efforts by everyone throwing money at them so they produce more games this fun and of this quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal opinion: I recently got the game and was completely blown away by the material after opening the game. I won't try to argue whether this is worth $80 of gaming content or not, but at least I didn't have the impression of being cheated.
The sheer view of the rulebooks is something unique on its own. And I was amazed by the scale-up difficulty levels and all the associated cards, which points to a great deal of replayability in the box.
Unfortunately I soon found out that the game is just not for me, so I sold it quickly -- in fact making a tiny profit in the process.
This is a different issue/question though, and you will have to find out by yourself if you enjoy the game or not.

Note to Morten: I really wanted to like this game after seeing all the love you have given it, but sadly I had to accept the fact I am not enjoying the system. Thanks anyway for those great posts on your blog a few months ago!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boulou wrote:
My personal opinion: I recently got the game and was completely blown away by the material after opening the game. I won't try to argue whether this is worth $80 of gaming content or not, but at least I didn't have the impression of being cheated.
The sheer view of the rulebooks is something unique on its own. And I was amazed by the scale-up difficulty levels and all the associated cards, which points to a great deal of replayability in the box.
Unfortunately I soon found out that the game is just not for me (I did not enjoy some of the core mechanisms), so I sold it quickly -- in fact making a tiny profit in the process.
This is a different issue/question though, and you will have to find out by yourself if you enjoy the game or not.

Note to Morten: I really wanted to like this game after seeing all the love you have given it, but sadly I had to accept the fact I am not enjoying the system. Thanks anyway for those great posts on your blog a few months ago!

Well, different strokes and all that .I'm happy to hear that it didn't cost you money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO It is worth the $$$. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game content is really worth the money. Sturdy map, sturdy cards, sturdy components, plenty of colorful manuals. That's for the physical aspect.

Then there is the design, and the creative process behind : that shows in the learning curve, the help of the various manuals and how you read them along your plays. A lot of thought has been poured in the game, and a lot of love too.

So if you happen to love the game and how it plays, even giving it a solid coop/solo choice depending on the mood, it might very well be worth it laugh

It was for me, and that one great game I won't regret buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $150 for a Zombicide: Black Plague KS pledge (by all accounts, a great deal) instead of going with a DotZ 3E pledge.

So I paid double the amount, and in my estimation I got half the game. Now I'm figuring out the logistics of selling this Z:BP pledge so I can get Zeds 3.

If you like gameplay, $80 is a complete steal IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top of this page says Amazon has it for $84, so $80 is a bargain

You can also use the entertainment per dollar ratio.... How many hours of enjoyment do you think you'll get from this game, divide by the price and compare to say going to a movie.... Games are cheap when looked at this way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just want to throw my hat into the ring and say that this is one of my favorite and most played solo games. I suggest watching a few videos and if it seems interesting to you then pick it up. The market on this run is extremely limited so I would rather pick it up and the resell if I didn't enjoy it enough, than miss out entirely but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just punched my counters last night and am getting ready to play it. I got it back in May when the game was released. I think I only paid 60 with shipping for the kickstarter. I think I am going to like this one.
If you do buy it and do not like it you should be able to get you money back as it should go up in value as who knows if there will be a reprint in the near future.
There was a lot of concern that there would not be many copies available for retail after they shipped the kickstarters but this has been available for a while(June 23rd) on the VPG website. That is not to say they have a ton of copies available but once they said they would have them for sale at their website I thought they might only have enough supply for a week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Netherlands
Ede
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I daresay it is worth it. If one ignores the quality of the components, it indeed is a matter of dollar per entertaining hour. So far we have played four games with a total of 13 players. Clocking two-and-a-half hours per game on average, that makes for some thirty-plus hours of fun. That's a clean hour of zombie mayhem for less than three bucks. Try that at cinemas near you.

So, if you like zombie games, like a good challenging game that plays solo, Co-op and pvp, it is a no brained. Check Rooney's "Watch it played" video, watch Rick Royal's five part playthrough. If that seems like remotely interesting, I assure you the game will be fun in reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb

The KS would've been a pretty good deal. As far as the current retail price, it's steep. I paid $93 shipped. The components are nice, and VPG obviously put a lot of effort into this title, but relatively speaking, $93--a game, despite not having miniatures, rises dangerously close to GW territory in price (plus at the $80 level, one would get free shipping from GW). The degree to which you like the game, however, is obviously important. Zeds doesn't lack devout fans. If you're one of those fans, you're going to get a lot of mileage out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
Spain
flag msg tools
20% sale 28th-31st of October from VPG

http://www.victorypointgames.com/news/zeds-halloween-sale/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.