5 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Optional/Advanced rules you have tried? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Bevan
Canada
flag msg tools
What optional/Advanced rules have you tried from the rule book and what are thoughts?

I have only tried the Random Turn Order in the few games and found that bidding on turn order is much prefered.

I am looking forward to trying unrestricted trade as I feel there needs to be more hooks in trade agreements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1633524/anyone-tried-ou...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Jensen

Arizona
msg tools
apbevan wrote:
What optional/Advanced rules have you tried from the rule book and what are thoughts?

I have only tried the Random Turn Order in the few games and found that bidding on turn order is much prefered.

I am looking forward to trying unrestricted trade as I feel there needs to be more hooks in trade agreements.

That's actually fairly funny to me. I've played two games so far, and although we did not use this optional rule, officially, out of both games their was only one round where one player, me, bid on the initiative. All other rounds no one wanted to spend the resources.

For my group, the only optional rule we played with so far was more accidental than intentional. On our second game we forgot to insure that the top 6 system tiles were planets rather than phenomenon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
DrakosDJ wrote:
apbevan wrote:

That's actually fairly funny to me. I've played two games so far, and although we did not use this optional rule, officially, out of both games their was only one round where one player, me, bid on the initiative. All other rounds no one wanted to spend the resources.

For my group, the only optional rule we played with so far was more accidental than intentional. On our second game we forgot to insure that the top 6 system tiles were planets rather than phenomenon.

I'm usually the only one bidding on turn order in my games but I've found that if I don't, then the other players will undercut me. It's been a way of them keeping me, who was the leader, spending resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there can be situations where you want to be last or first, not just for flip-flop turns but also for preventive exhausting of another player's tech or being first to move to occupy a system or last to reoccupy systems in case of cardassian that must have ships in orbit for production generation.

as it is, the first player to bid has an advantage as no 2 players can bid the same amount

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.