Subject: The priciest games you own rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm big into 2P abstract pure strategy. So when I read about the Gipf project, I knew I'd love the games. The Gipf games are getting quite rare, but I set out to collect them all. Of course, with the internet, it's no longer a matter of finding them, but paying for them.

This summer, I bit the bullet and just started ordering. With a couple of ebay auctions, some amazon sales, and one BGG market purchase, I now have all 6 games and 2 expansions. Total cost, a cool $385.

I got 2 games and both expansion packs new, 4 games in used but excellent condition. The set is so valuable, I carved a special box for the collection:

Is this the most expensive game box ever? Anyone have any $400+ games?

FWIW:
My wife and I have played all but Punct. And we've just started playing Tzaar. I love Dvonn, my wife likes Zertz, but I think Yinsh has the most elegant rules and balanced play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much did 70000 Magic cards cost me?

Pete (can't even imagine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gipf games are specifically designed to work together, so it is possible to play a single game in which EVERY piece in the box is used.

I do not think it is humanly possible to play a single game with 70,000 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't approach the cost of MtG!

Lovely box for the set, and I've heard good things about them.

The cost is really $55 / game, and half that per expansion. So I do have games more expensive than that, for good or bad.

As for the set fortunately I haven't payed that much for one game, even including expansions and pretty parts / inserts / etc. I feel like Too Many Bones including all goodies might get close!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All three versions of RoboRally and RoboRally: Armed and Dangerous total ran me just under $400, although more if you add the cost of painting the robots.

Super Dungeon Explore and the expansions are over $400.

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game with expansions is around $300.

Dominion with expansions is also around $300.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
The Gipf games are specifically designed to work together, so it is possible to play a single game in which EVERY piece in the box is used.

I suppose...but I can easily play a deck worth many times that one game of yours!

Pete (didn't pay that much for it though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had all the GIPF games at one point. I sold most of them in the great purge(s). I do miss some of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:

That the games are design to (sort of) work together (in some mysterious undescribed way) does not mean it's possible for every piece to be used in a single game.

professorguy wrote:

Similarly, you could have a game where 70,000 cards are "in the game" without all of them actually being used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really depends which way you look at it.

The most I ever payed for a single game was 70€ for Mage Knight.

If I were to sell them now, my copies of the Puerto Rico Anniversary edition and Fireball Island would probably fetch around 150€ each.

And then there is Magic. Underground Sea is worth upwards of 215€ alone right now. My whole collection is probably worth something with 5 digits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
I'm big into 2P abstract pure strategy.

With that as the intro, I just don't see any way you're even going to come close to what others spend.

The most I've spent for a individual boxed game was $300 on eBay for a copy of A Bridge Too Far: ASL Historical Module 6. I ignored ASL for a while, and when I got back into it, the historical modules that I was the most interested in were long out of print.

Now that isn't as much as your total, but your total is for a set. ASL is a system, and the Advanced Squad Leader family entry currently has 389 linked items. And that copy of A Bridge Too Far that I bought? Yeah, it isn't even playable if you only have what's in the box.

Then there's the Operational Combat Series. Even I have been put off by the prices I've seen for Case Blue. I can't seem to find a copy currently for sale or I'd post a link... but the last time I checked, prices were around $500. Edit: Forgot to check the GeekMarket... Case Blue for $550 plus shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm into Cthulhu Wars at ah...
(checks total costs)

um, yeah...

I think I need to play a few more games to get my investment return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Willberg
Finland
Vaasa
flag msg tools
The moon bearing the image of the desert kangaroo mouse, Muad'dib.
badge
The planet Arrakis, known as Dune.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually been adding price (inc shipping) to the items in my collection. This doesn't include sleeves or tackle boxes.

Descent (inc. 1st ed, but still incorporate almost every 1st ed. expansion to my 2nd edition games) in my collection is up at 870€.

Second highest is Summoner Wars at 325€.

No regrets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Hmmm...

MTG - I've no idea how much I spent on it. Thousands, easily. Probably not into 5 digits.

Miniatures-based games - similar.

For board games, that would be HeroQuest and then Space Crusade. Space Crusade was over a decade ago, HeroQuest was just last month (well, finishing off, anyway) and took great advantage of the current lack of value of the pound
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then, you have to consider if you purchase the game more than once, to make variants.

Twilight Imperium 3 and Shattered Empire and Shards of the Throne

They won't crack $200 the first time through.

Start doubling up though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am about to be the proud owner of the ~$400 Anniversary edition of the War of the Ring (2nd edition) game, as are about 2,000 of my fellow BGG members. This will be my most expensive game I have ever bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
$385? Lol.

Kingdom Death w/ all expansions...

$1300.

What do I win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:

$1300.

What do I win?

My condolences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
79strat wrote:

$1300.

What do I win?

My condolences.

Give those to my unfed children, not me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Malachi
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The top of my list are:

Sentinels of the Multiverse Probably over $500 at this point. I have all the expansions (and kickstarted the last along with the collector box, foil heroes & villains and I am only missing 5 of the original promo set)
Hoplomachus: The Lost Cities with both expansions, all the Promo Packs & Metal Dice. Worth well over $300
The Omega Virus My copy is in MINT condition 100% complete and often goes on eBay for roughly $300
Dune A custom made ILYA version of the game that ran me close to $250
Dark Tower Based on current values mine is worth about $200
Ogre: Designers Edition with many of the Sponsored sheets (got a few more to track down) probably worth over $200 all told
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set with all expansion & character decks and ALL promos easily worth $150 (probably more I haven't priced one recently)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set again with all expansion & character decks and ALL promos easily worth $150 (again probably more I haven't priced one recently)

And possibly the grand-daddy of them all (which I don't even have yet):

Too Many Bones which I am in to Chip Theory Games for over $400 with all the add-ons and extras ;P Sure Sentinels is higher in value but that is not just a single game!

What can I say, I am addicted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Auger
England
Manningtree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:

Oh yes it is! http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
I now have all 6 games and 2 expansions.

In case you don't know, there are 3 (not 2) expansions for GIPF.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/527/gipf/expansions

Quote:
Is this the most expensive game box ever? Anyone have any $400+ games?

Certainly there are far more expensive games, especially if you "cheat" by combining related games and expansions. E.g. look at wargame systems with very many expansion modules like Advanced Squad Leader, Panzer Grenadier, etc...

===

ronhatch wrote:
professorguy wrote:

With that as the intro, I just don't see any way you're even going to come close to what others spend.

Why not? Some people buy extremely expensive luxury or antique Chess, Go, Shogi, etc sets, which can cost multiple tens of thousands of dollars...

===

Restricting myself only to a single box (so not counting e.g. all my GIPF series games, or some wargame series with expansions, or my several Shogi sets plus various Shogi strategy & problem books, as a single "game", which would make it easy to artificially make a large number, ha!), I guess Enemy Action: Ardennes (120 EUR) might be my current priciest owned game. I don't have any truly extremely expensive games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
ronhatch wrote:
professorguy wrote:

Why not? Some people buy extremely expensive luxury or antique Chess, Go, Shogi, etc sets, which can cost multiple tens of thousands of dollars...

Hmmm... yeah, forgot about the deluxe versions of classics.

I wish I could get really high end versions of all my favorite games, but alas the market just isn't there. (Although my copies of Ogre and Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary are pretty darn nice... and roughly $150 each.)

Edit: Now pointing to the correct version of Dungeon Lords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold War of the Ring (first edition) and got hold of War of the Ring Collector's Edition but because it is so extravagant I have hardly played it compared to the traded version.
We play Warhammer Quest more and strangely this game has become pricey.
How weird this hobby works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy = £21 + TGS £15*, RvI £17 + BoW £10.50 = £63.50, plus probably ~ £10 on card sleeves. I also have AA £16 so we've spent about £90 on RftG.

* This one was a gift so guessing the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Carro
Spain
La Coruña
La Coruña
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
strangely this game has become pricey.

FFG no longer has the license to GW products. Expect Warhammer: Invasion, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, Warhammer Quest, etc to go on the rise.

My personal highest price, War of the Ring Collector's Edition, on one go. I don't know how much my eight games of the La Bataille series have cost, it has taken me many years to get them, and Wavre and the newer ones are still left, but I think it surpasses WotR:CE (that I got for 400 euros).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.