Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Dexposure.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Rancher", At the start of the round, you may pay a "Coin influence" to use your third posse for that round. This is cheap way to get the 3rd posse, I have only played in a 2 player game so I am not sure how much difference in more than 2. Having the 3rd guy makes a big difference when everyone else can only get the 3rd posses by not buying a building or winning the pot at the sheriff's office.

Edit: Sorry has been posted before, I missed it my quick search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem like a big advantage, but in the last game we played (3 players) the Rancher came in a distant third place, so it didn't seem to help him much. If anything, he was always struggling to get enough Gold to buy anything after constantly paying one out. YMMV though, and a savvy player could probably put this ability to veey good use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of threads on the topic, and everyone seems to agree that it's OP in 2p games especially. It's a little more debatable with 3/4p though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 2 and its really strong. By far the strongest out of all the different characters you can choose from. Have never played 3+ tho, but Id assume it would still be desirable at the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
As a general remark, and admittedly based on one game so far, the boss powers seem to be unbalanced. Some are rarely useful (the Gambler player grumbled much), and others can produce resources every round (the Apothecary). I am not sure what to do about this. Actually, while powers are cool, there's enough going on in the game that it might actually be just as satisfying to play without the powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingmob75 wrote:
It does seem like a big advantage, but in the last game we played (3 players) the Rancher came in a distant third place, so it didn't seem to help him much. If anything, he was always struggling to get enough Gold to buy anything after constantly paying one out. YMMV though, and a savvy player could probably put this ability to veey good use.

But using the 3rd Posse, you can almost always get a resource back by placing on an 'immediate' space so it's rarely (if ever) going to be a problems to pay the gold to get him.

And in addition, you get access to buy the building, you can a chance at the pot (which can earn you 2 more resources), and you have an advantage in waiting people out for duels.

I'm starting to think that the Rancher might need to be tweaked down a bit. Compared to many of the other Powers which are very situational, the Rancher can almost always uses his, EVERY TURN, for a modest to high profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the book is still out on the Rancher for 3-4 player games, but I can I agree it is a bit OP for 2 player. Here are two thoughts;

1) In 2 player games, do not allow the Rancher to be used
2) Experiment with charging 2 resources (of the same type) to use the ability instead of just 1. Please share your results.

So far in 2 three player games, the Rancher has not been over powered as it currently is written. We will continue using as designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rancher must be banned or underpowered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.