Subject: Upgrade packs have new art base cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Sanders
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the Dominion and Intrigue upgrade packs include the new art base cards or is it still necessary to buy the Base Cards product to get those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leverandon wrote:
Do the Dominion and Intrigue upgrade packs include the new art base cards or is it still necessary to buy the Base Cards product to get those?
They are not included. You still have to buy the Base Cards set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Upgrade packs will only include the 6 new cards added to the respective set. For the new art base cards, you'll have to buy the Base Cards pack or a new Base set (noting that the cards aren't exactly the same between the two, details of which are in some other thread).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
conmanau wrote:
The Upgrade packs will only include the 6 new cards added to the respective set. For the new art base cards, you'll have to buy the Base Cards pack or a new Base set (noting that the cards aren't exactly the same between the two, details of which are in some other thread).

7 new cards.

As others are noting, the new base cards are not in the update packs. They will however be sold separately (but aren't yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
conmanau wrote:

7 new cards.

As others are noting, the new base cards are not in the update packs. They will however be sold separately (but aren't yet).

Thanks for the info, everyone! Put in an order for the update packs today. Donald, thanks for making these update packs available, especially at such a reasonable price point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like if I buy the Dominion upgrade pack and I buy the new base cards, the price together may be as much as just buying the Dominion second edition and throwing out the other cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It seems like if I buy the Dominion upgrade pack and I buy the new base cards, the price together may be as much as just buying the Dominion second edition and throwing out the other cards?

Except your Colony and Platinum cards will not match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Interesting observation. I wonder if the new Base Cards will skip including Colony, Platinum, and Potions since those cards are presumably going to be updated in future versions of Prosperity and Alchemy. I don't really see a need to include them in the Base Cards after that and they already are scaled to 5-6 players in the expansion sets. They are also in some senses supposed to be exclusive to the expansions, so by including them in the Base Cards, they make ownership of Prosperity, at least, a tiny bit less necessary (if you are buying it mostly for the higher valued cards). Hmm. Without those three cards, Base Cards could be cut down 42 cards (since the new Trash and the blank cards would also be unnecessary), bringing the total box size to 208 cards. I wonder how many cards are on a printer sheet? It's possible at least one sheet could be cut, making the cost of the set cheaper overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
darthnice wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Interesting observation. I wonder if the new Base Cards will skip including Colony, Platinum, and Potions since those cards are presumably going to be updated in future versions of Prosperity and Alchemy. I don't really see a need to include them in the Base Cards after that and they already are scaled to 5-6 players in the expansion sets. They are also in some senses supposed to be exclusive to the expansions, so by including them in the Base Cards, they make ownership of Prosperity, at least, a tiny bit less necessary (if you are buying it mostly for the higher valued cards). Hmm. Without those three cards, Base Cards could be cut down 42 cards (since the new Trash and the blank cards would also be unnecessary), bringing the total box size to 208 cards. I wonder how many cards are on a printer sheet? It's possible at least one sheet could be cut, making the cost of the set cheaper overall.

I would expect they would make the product the same. I have no inside knowledge. But the purpose of the Base Cards product is two-fold now. 1) Replacements for basic cards that get warn out. 2) It is now the only way to play 5-6 players (without buying 2 copies of Dominion: 2nd Edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
DaviddesJ wrote:

I don't know the MSRP of Base Cards offhand, but that's plausible; the update packs are $15 for 80 cards vs. the main set's $45 for 500. They are not the cheapest way to get cards; they are just the cheapest way to get only the new cards, for people who already have the main set and/or Intrigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Whaleyland wrote:

We haven't talked about changing Base Cards, but it also hasn't been finalized, there have been no sheets to proofread for the new version. I see what you are saying about not needing to include Platinum etc., for new customers; for old customers, they may have old Prosperity and want the new art. So it might make sense to initially keep them in Base Cards, then eventually drop them. I don't know how it works out in terms of numbers of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
msg tools
Yeah, I don't want to have to buy Prosperity and Alchemy all over again just for new art on the three base cards added. The only reason I'd buy Alchemy again is if it were changed into a full set with a lot of support for Potion added, and that's never going to happen. And Prosperity is fine as it is.

I'd like for Base Cards to have Colony, Platinum, and Potion. I always play every game with Colony and Platinum. I and everyone in my gaming group prefer games that have them as options. However, most people probably don't share that opinion, so I understand why they might not be included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

If you buy the upgrade pack and new Base Cards, you get Colony and Platinum, but not the new trash mat. I wish there was a way to get all of it without having to buy Dominion 2nd edition plus the new Base Cards. That's two sets of new base cards (and I already own three).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PunchBall wrote:
If you buy the upgrade pack and new Base Cards...

donaldx wrote:
We haven't talked about changing Base Cards...

There is not yet any new Base Cards set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
PunchBall wrote:
If you buy the upgrade pack and new Base Cards...

donaldx wrote:
We haven't talked about changing Base Cards...

There is not yet any new Base Cards set.

There is going to be one. But it's true that whether it will have Platinum/Colony seems undecided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.