Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what happens when FFG decides to release a brand new edition and stops development on the current edition and its app? What will happen to this game? Will it be an expensive paperweight once the app stops being updated and new iterations of iOS and Android no longer supports the app?

This is what is basically happening in the world of handphone apps. Old apps purchased a few years ago, if abandoned by the developer, will no longer work with the latest iteration of iOS or android.

I forsee that this game will have zero resale value once it is discontinued. This is because you will never know whether if future new handsets/iPad that you purchased, which automatically comes with the latest iOS will support legacy apps, once FFG decides to no longer offer updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, no-one has ever said this before. snore

Don't buy it if this is an issue for you. Plenty of other games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the app on PC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dion wrote:

Wow, what a typical troll response. Just the type I would expect from someone like you.

I am not buying it but was just wondering how is FFG going to address this going forward.

If you have nothing of substance to add, I suggest you keep your trolling to yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
Wow, what a typical troll response. Just the type I would expect from someone like you.

Sure, someone like me who'd be lucky to post on BGG a dozen times a year.

Maybe you could actually do a search on the forums & find one of the many discussions on this instead of starting your own post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dion wrote:
friedricetheman wrote:

Sure, someone like me who'd be lucky to post on BGG a dozen times a year.

Bye.

Yup. Same here. My first post for 2016 and my first response was a troll post from you.

So, bye and don't trip on your way out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that indeed happens someone will create an emulator that can run the app. We'll be fine.
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dion wrote:

Maybe you could actually do a search on the forums & find one of the many discussions on this instead of starting your own post.

Maybe if you were nice enough to let me know that there were other similar topics on here instead of going full retard on me, I would have apologize for posting something that have been discussed before.

You do know that I have been out of the loop for awhile and am just finding my feet back on BGG. And before my long hiatus from BGG, this was a very welcoming place with lots of friendly gamers unlike the toxicity that spew from your welcoming post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is such a silly no-issue. First, I am sure FFG will provide compatibility updates for a long time. Secondly, whereas mobile market can be changeable PC market is not that, you will be able to run the app in its Windows version or under something like emulated Android. That's hardly a problem I have computer games that are 25 years old that I still play. That said, the first response in this threat was right, app driven games are a small fraction, if they rub you the wrong way go for games that do not use an app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
instead of going full retard on me

seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
From a technical stand point this is really not much of an issue. Android is an open system and will be workable pretty much forever. Windows is sort of closed, but so common that it will also work forever, even if it needs a VM. iOS is a basket case, but it really don't matter.

From a practical point of view how long do you need it to work anyay? 5 Years? 10? Your life time? Your children's? Does a Monopoly set even last that long in the real world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dion wrote:
friedricetheman wrote:
instead of going full retard on me

seriously?

My apologies if what I said offended anyone. English is not my first language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
From a technical stand point this is really not much of an issue. Android is an open system and will be workable pretty much forever. Windows is sort of closed, but so common that it will also work forever, even if it needs a VM. iOS is a basket case, but it really don't matter.

From a practical point of view how long do you need it to work anyay? 5 Years? 10? Your life time? Your children's? Does a Monopoly set even last that long in the real world?

Thanks for the explaination. I primarily run iOS on all my devices so I am still a bit reluctant to purchase the 2nd edition as I don't want a game to be unplayable after X number of years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm not sure why I wanted to respond to this thread, I normally am a huge lurker but I actually think the topic of digital transformation in this hobby is quite fascinating and hugely polarising which is evident in a lot of threads.

Quote:
So, what happens when FFG decides to release a brand new edition and stops development on the current edition and its app? What will happen to this game?

So the biggest benefit I see here is that it actually simplifies the release cycle, it means that they can open up their options with regards to app development, either add on an option within the existing app to house both editions, so when you start it up select edition 2 or 3... or do what it did with the latest scenarios in that it allowed 1st edition owners to reuse components rather than buy new. It would actually be counterproductive in my opinion to scrap the old app, all the assets and start new, much easier to update which is a huge benefit of introducing an app. So I think the physical game will definitely still have a use which is shown not only in what FFG have done with MoM 1st edition but also other IP's such as Descent 1st edition.

The biggest thing I believe it'll do is reduce or remove the 2-3 year re-release cycle a lot of boardgames seem to go through with updating rule books/components and allow more than just base game but expansions to evolve into the new content that they bring in.

Quote:
Will it be an expensive paperweight once the app stops being updated and new iterations of iOS and Android no longer supports the app?

So more than just iOS and Android are able to run this app so no, steam for one... there will be multiple avenues if this ever eventuates, however since they seem to be investing ALOT more resources in app development I'd say this would only occur if they dropped the Mansions of Madness IP all together, even then it would take quite some time for Apple to purge this from the App Store. Since the game just came out and it's an FFG IP, I'd say at least 5 years before this could eventuate. The benefit here is that they don't have to pay any licensing fees to someone like GW to produce the game...

Quote:
This is what is basically happening in the world of handphone apps. Old apps purchased a few years ago, if abandoned by the developer, will no longer work with the latest iteration of iOS or android.

Sure, but these in most cases are from small app developers who aren't seeing sales or revenue anymore and just drop development, there is also much more competition with standalone apps than in this area... FFG just developed an app for free which included 2 x new campaigns, integration with all the expansions and now a future update to introduce more functionality for Descent, a game released in 2012 (4 years old), widely praised, very popular already... So clearly they're seeing increased sales/revenue for a game that old, true this may have been used as an experiment to test the market but I think based off the rate of updates it's certainly proved a point that there is demand.

Quote:
I forsee that this game will have zero resale value once it is discontinued. This is because you will never know whether if future new handsets/iPad that you purchased, which automatically comes with the latest iOS will support legacy apps, once FFG decides to no longer offer updates

But you're playing the 'What If' game here, for a scenario that will take years to happen once FFG stop development. What if your physical game gets damaged when someone spills a drink on it? What if you buy a game and no one likes it therefore the resale value plunges? In my case there isn't a big market here so the number of buyers isn't as large as say the US... Unless you're a collector it seems silly to worry about resale value in this hobby unless you're looking at the short term (e.g. KS or something that just got announced as OOP like Space Hulk Death Angel), in this case I actually think this game would resell great in the next year or so as demand is obviously higher than supply.

But I understand that yes it's not the cheapest hobby and yes it can be good to sell old games to afford new ones, but if your purchasing decisions are purely around how much will I get for this when I want to resell it, well you're missing out on some great games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, dice rollers are as close to using an app with a boardgame as I'll get.

I like to have rulebooks on my phone, helps me look things up.... but an app driven boardgame yuk. I pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
BruceLGL wrote:

Thanks for the explaination. I primarily run iOS on all my devices so I am still a bit reluctant to purchase the 2nd edition as I don't want a game to be unplayable after X number of years.

Like most things in life - you will play a game only so many times before you get bored with it, then move on to something else. Exactly how many times will you you want to re-play the game is something only you will be able to answer. Is it worth the money and time now, I certainly think so, as do most of the others on here.

However, will it still have the same lure in another year, two years, it's very hard to say. As mentioned above if the technology works now and you want to play the game go for it, nobody knows what will happen in the future, but at least you will have enjoyed the game now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your english is good enough to know what "retard" means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty much what's happening right now with Golem Arcana. The company which is no longer supporting the game says they're no longer further developing the app, including bugs. We'll see in a year if players can still play the game.

As for MM2, I think the game can be played as an RPG with a Keeper instead of the app. Mechanically, most of the time you're just making skill checks by rolling the non-app dice for whatever number of successes. You can replace the puzzles with skill checks. Not sure about the monsters, but I bet you can work something out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
LoL,

In 1st edition there was already at least one website that you could play an automated keeper and play full co-op.

Even without emulation (which would happen) somebody could do just that with the 2nd edition scenarios that would be mechanically close enough not to matter.

Mark my words, whether or not FFG ever releases a scenario development kit to us, there will be 3rd party programs doing exactly that for user made scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomaisin wrote:
Your english is good enough to know what "retard" means.

This. Don't use the "English second language" excuse when you're perfectly comfortable using an American idiom like "instead of going full retard". And calling someone a troll is against the community guidelines. Since you've been gone a while, I thought you could use a refresher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Troll]

Holy Crap!...

No one is looking at the big issue!

All of these games we buy are made of PAPER!! WTF.. this shit breaks down and in 50 years will be faded and brittle! Not to mention all my mouth breathing Cheeto finger freinds leaving thier own mark over all my cards and boards..

WTF! what a travesty.. forget it.. IM OUT of the hobby. I want my games to last FOR EVER!.. yuk

[/Troll]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
If it makes you feel better, you can install the PC version on steam, then just copy the folder to another computer and run it.

This leads me to believe that even if they don't continue to update it, you'll be able to copy the last updated version off of your machine and run it without worry, assuming you have a windows based machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
Dion wrote:

I am not buying it but was just wondering how is FFG going to address this going forward.

If you have nothing of substance to add, I suggest you keep your trolling to yourself.

Who would have thought an inflammatory post title would produce an inflamed response?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too big to be used as a paperweight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.