Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Renato Corrêa
Brazil
Florianopolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning to buy one kennerspiel des jahres game. Which one do you think is more interesting in order to add to my collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! I have not yet played Isle of Skye, though I would like to one day! We own and like Village a lot. It's an interesting game, with the mechanic of your family members passing and new generations entering the scene. It's also neat that you select your resources through the actions you choose to take.

From what I've read about Isle of Skye, and from my experience with Village, I think you can't go wrong with either choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might like Village more. It's heavier - like a lot of the games in your collection you rate highest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Isle of Skye a lot. It is a easy to play/learn game, but with a lot of variability between games and some depth. Only remark: we don't like it that much with 2 players, but with 3-5 it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Tonkovic
Croatia
flag msg tools
I found village to be dry and boring worker placement. And I prefer euro worker placement games... I really wanted to like this game but every time i played it (4x) i fealt empty in the end. I ve read expansion adds alot, but since I didnt enjoy base game i doubt i ll ever try those expansions...

On the other side, i havent played Isle of Skye but it is on my wishlist, it looks interesting

And as of kennerspiel winners, i would recommend Istanbul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, neither.

Both are good games, but I doubt that you will like them that much.

If it has to be one of the two, you will likely be much happier with Village.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and the only one I like is Isle of Skye. Fast, fun, and replayable. Yes it's simple, but still offer great choices.

I didn't find Village to be that particularly exciting, although I really like the ideas about the dying mechanisms and all. But in the end, it feels like your don't have that many strategies to follow.

My wife also prefer IoS. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like both and prefer Village because it feels like there is more "game" to it.

That being said... the base game offers many paths to attaining VPs, but the way you go about it is not "pick a path", but more like "pick one path to NOT take". I.e. any single one (or two) paths you can focus on does not provide enough points to win you the game in itself, thus you need to spread your interests. Some actions benefit you in other ways helping you progress elsewhere, some are there just for the points. Thus it comes a lot down to choosing a path you will ignore co you can concentrate on the rest better. This doesn't help replayability as a lot of the time you'll be repeating similar stuff (true for any game I guess, but not every games makes you feel it). The Inn expansion helps a lot with this because it shakes things up with another item to produce (and use and gain VPs from) and cards that give VPs for various other things making your strategies more meaningful if you can get the right card (this also means the game gains some randomness, of which there is very little in the base).

Now, while I am not an expert player of Village, this is my opinion after about 10 plays, so I do not expect it to change much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
To be honest, neither.

Both are good games, but I doubt that you will like them that much.

If it has to be one of the two, you will likely be much happier with Village.

Having looked at your ratings, I'd agree with this assessment.

Isle of Skye will remind you of Carcassonne but with buying and selling of the tiles added.

Village is worker placement but don't make the mistake of trying to keep your workers alive - think of it as getting to the future faster instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Islebound don't waste your money on anything else....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some interesting comments so far and weird that no one has pointed out that the two games are completely different. Not only are they different mechanically but their play times are very different.

I have not played Village so I will not waste any time on that game.

I own and love Isle of Skye. I gave it a 10 myself but I do love auction games. I see that you have some auction games, and good ones at that. Maybe your ok with more or maybe not. I can never seem to get enough. I love this game because of the limitations placed on the auctions and how much info is available to assist in evaluating the auction portion(tiles available, upcoming scoring goals, others estimated money).

Another part of the game I really enjoy is the way scoring takes place and how you can aim for specific challenges at different times to maximize scoring. Not to mention, how all of that changes from game to game.

Hopefully some of those points might make it easier for you to make your decision. I'm sure both games are great though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King over Village. But you should also check out My Village. Maybe not Kennerspiel(?), but a good game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Village by a long shot, no doubt. They are not even in the same league.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kearns
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
I prefer Isle of Skye.
Village started feeling pretty samey quickly for me.
Isle of Skye has more explicit variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Isle of Skye!

I found Village to be very dry. In many ways it felt like all the boring parts of any euro had been taken, added to Village and then they added the admittedly interesting generation mechanic on top. But besides the generation aspects, Village really has nothing to offer you can't find better in other games.

Isle of Skye, however, is an excellent game. Very easy to learn and great fun to play!
- A point to keep in mind, though, is that (to me at least) the game is not as varied as it is made up to be. Sure - there are a ton of scoring tiles and the sure do change which tiles are interesting and which are not. BUT whether you score cows or buildings doesn't feel all that different. Every game will have the same feeling regardless of what is scored.
That being said Isle of Skye is still an excellent game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bojan1983 wrote:
I found village to be dry and boring worker placement. And I prefer euro worker placement games... I really wanted to like this game but every time i played it (4x) i fealt empty in the end. I ve read expansion adds alot, but since I didnt enjoy base game i doubt i ll ever try those expansions...

On the other side, i havent played Isle of Skye but it is on my wishlist, it looks interesting

And as of kennerspiel winners, i would recommend Istanbul

This!
Village is great on paper, but noone enjoyed it when we played 4p and 3p games. Maybe it took too long, maybe because of resources being just cubes. Still not giving up on it and gonna give another try, but maaaaaan Istanbul is waaaaaaayyy better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I didn't enjoy the auction component of Isle of Skye and that's what the game revolves around. Traded away as a result.

Haven't played village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a little heads up that I just traded away Village because it to us got a little repetitive with not much variation between games combined with the fact that some strategies seem quite superior to others. It's also a bit dry but not too bad and if you're creative you can make some fun stories with your workers

So if you play each of your games quite a few times, it is something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thip wrote:
Just a little heads up that I just traded away Village because it to us got a little repetitive with not much variation between games combined with the fact that some strategies seem quite superior to others. It's also a bit dry but not too bad and if you're creative you can make some fun stories with your workers

So if you play each of your games quite a few times, it is something to consider.
I have only played Village once so cannot fairly comment, however there are two expansions to add variability and longevity to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.